REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
ACL reconstruction and torn meniscus?

Anyone had there ACL reconstructed along with a meniscus tear repaired at the same time? About 3 years ago I hurt my knee, it's been super unstable I kept telling my Doctor there was something wrong but it wasn't until around last Christmas he booked me an MRI.

Turns out my ACL is done, like as in completely gone doesn't show up on MRI and I have a torn lateral meniscus. I'm going to get surgery to repair them and forgot to ask the surgeon what the back to work time was.

Anyone have this done? How long until you were able to move around on crutches? I've searched online but it seems to be all over the place as far as time lines.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,153 Posts
Had torn ACL and MCL. Had arthroscopy done, took me 6 weeks to be off crutches. Don't know about meniscus though...
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Will be reading this intently as well....

I need my knee checked, similar - it feels unstable, something is definitely wrong behind the knee cap ish area.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I also have a lateral meniscus tear and a full thickness acl tear (few fibers remain), wait list for surgery right now..
MASTER_J is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTER_J View Post
I also have a lateral meniscus tear and a full thickness acl tear (few fibers remain), wait list for surgery right now..
You'll probably get in before me, please let me know how your recovery goes.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 04-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i had my right ACL and menicus tear fixed
i initially hurt it in my early 20's but it wasn't a problem till early 30's

- 4 months prior to my ACL and menicus surgery, i was on a exercise program to strengthen my hamstrings because my surgeon told me that's where they were cutting to create the graft for the ACL, i also needed my menicus shaved because it was in really bad condition. (my physio was also helping me prepare for my surgery)

- the 3 weeks after the surgery was the worst, i was in a lot of pain, i think it was a combination of both the ACL and menicus being torn. other people that i've talked to, who just had the ACL repair done, they were fairly good a week after surgery

- rehab starts the day after surgery, just lifting your entire leg up and down helps
- you are required to buy this ice machine, it costs about 3-400 dollars, just make sure your leg is always elevated, and that the machine is always on your leg (super cold)

- i am fairly active and consistent with my rehab so i was fully recovered about 7-8 months after surgery. everyone is different but i would say 1 year full recovery is normal

- i didn't listen to my surgeron when he said stop playing volleyball and i ended up tearing my menicus again 2 years later. the recovery for just the menicus tear was about 3-4 months.

HTH

Good luck! you can do it!
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

That 3 weeks, we're you stuck at home or were you able to move with crutches?

Old 04-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

i was definitely home for 2 weeks (other then going to the physio)

i was on Oxycontin for the first 3-4 days. the first two days on Oxycontin was the best, i felt i was flying in bed.

i think by the middle of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th week i was able to drive to my physio. mind you, i have a truck and its fairly easy to get in and out of. but yes, i was still on crutches. everyone's healing time is different, just make sure you strengthen wherever they are going to cut to make the graft. it will speed up your recovery.

also i cant stress enough having your leg elevated, wrapped snug, and iced 24/7 after your surgery. it will speed it up a lot. the surgeon did not tell me that but my physio made me do it and it helped a lot

obviously everyone's recovery time is different, but best of luck to you. it's painful but you will get through it
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
When my fiance (then girlfriend) had her ACL and meniscus done she was off work for 2 weeks, when she went back she tried to keep her knee elevated and iced and even then there were days where she had to leave early. I'd take 3 weeks if you can. Backlog as many movies, TV shows and video games as you can as you'll be pretty useless for the first while, get pillows and things to keep your leg propped up. If you have a low bed be sure to have something solid you can use to help yourself get up or you're gonna need someone to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost91 View Post
- you are required to buy this ice machine, it costs about 3-400 dollars, just make sure your leg is always elevated, and that the machine is always on your leg (super cold)
We were able to rent one, it makes a massive difference.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've had my ACL done 3 times. Full thickness tear the 3rd time. Meniscus once. All in the same knee.

Like everyone above has said, ice, ice, and more ice. I tore all of mine in a 13 year span when I played basketball ending a few years ago so my recovery is probably very different than yours. Started physio soon after but at about 4 weeks after surgery we started doing exercises, started doing on ground running movement 3 months after (not treadmill or stationary bike), started really pushing it about 6 months after but didn't feel confident with movements till about 9 months after surgery.

I had the luxury of having access to a physio everyday although some of them were simply icing and ultrasound. A key thing that helped me was doing a contrast bath sooner rather than later. Contrast bath is where you ice for a minute then heat for a minute and do it for about 20 minutes. My physio had me doing that at about week 4.

Good luck!
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
Three things I forgot to add, the first is I'd highly recommend buying a good quality brace if you can. The one she got is carbon fibre and has adjustable limiters so she can set it to stop her movement exactly where the wants it. It was something like $800 which seems expensive but compared to going through the surgery and recovery again we figured it was well worth it. There were less expensive options too, they were a bit heavier but also very solid.

Second is find a good physio, even if you can't go very often it's good to have someone assessing your recovery and giving you exercises to do. It's tempting to slack off on the exercises but do your best to stay on top of them.

Last is transport, I think for the first 2 or so weeks back at work I was driving her (she had her right knee done though). If you've got a low car or a standard it'll take you longer so if you've got access to something higher like an SUV or a van then try to borrow that.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

A friend of mine had arthroscopic surgery on his knee(ACL tear) because of an injury playing football, the surgeon told my wife(nurse) he had one of the fastest recoveries he has seen. Friend attributes lots of it to what he ate. I'll try to find out more info for you.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Three things I forgot to add, the first is I'd highly recommend buying a good quality brace if you can. The one she got is carbon fibre and has adjustable limiters so she can set it to stop her movement exactly where the wants it. It was something like $800 which seems expensive but compared to going through the surgery and recovery again we figured it was well worth it. There were less expensive options too, they were a bit heavier but also very solid.

Second is find a good physio, even if you can't go very often it's good to have someone assessing your recovery and giving you exercises to do. It's tempting to slack off on the exercises but do your best to stay on top of them.

Last is transport, I think for the first 2 or so weeks back at work I was driving her (she had her right knee done though). If you've got a low car or a standard it'll take you longer so if you've got access to something higher like an SUV or a van then try to borrow that.
Thanks, the brace I'm getting is custom fit and he did tell me anywhere from $800-1400 for that depending so I'm kind of expecting it.

I drive an SUV and it's the left knee so I'm hoping I can drive myself to work sooner then later. I'll probably fly my mom in from Sask. for the first week or two so I can have some help around the house.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Friend said to stay away from sugars, limit red meat, eat lots of green veggies. Essentially minimize inflammatory foods.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
Friend said to stay away from sugars, limit red meat, eat lots of green veggies. Essentially minimize inflammatory foods.
That's good to hear, I've started doing all that stuff already because of some other health issues.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Wow... im about to get a MRI as well too. same injury as yours !!!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #17

I'm scheduled for Surgery on Tuesday, I'll update on the recovery time once I'm able.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,161 Times in 471 Posts
Good luck
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 04:20 AM   #19

Surgery went well, pain level is quite high can't bare any weight and even the slightest movement is brutal. I'll update in a few days hoping pain levels decrease as I could use more them 3 hours sleep.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ hope you have a quick recovery man. I am on wk 9 after my knee surgery for a torn meniscus. I was really worry about my ROM and pain after 6 wks, because still hurt like heck and I had limited ROM. Now I feel I am 80% back to normal and the pain is going away. If I could redo my recovery, I would spend more time on icing and massage to reduce the swelling. Especially around the knee cap. Good luck man
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #21

good luck

remember to elevate your leg and ice!!!!!
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #22
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Remember to do METH!

Spoiler!
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

Bone broth is great for healing after surgery. Collagen especially helps with repairing tissue.

https://purebonebroth.co/pages/where-to-buy

Kefir is also very healing.

https://vitamedica.com/wellness-blog...after-surgery/

If youre taking pain meds, it wouldnt hurt to get a stool softener maybe something like restoralax/miralax is great. White grape juice is also good for that purpose.

Hope youre doing okay! My aunt had knee surgery and I had to change the dressings a few times. Sometimes the dressing got stuck to the wound and made it difficult to change but if you moisten the gauze up itll lift off easily.
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #24

Thanks my wife picked me some up tonight. I've been taking pain meds every 4 hours all day and night. I can't move without exrutiatung Pain, spending all my time in a recliner. A trip to the washroom takes my pain level to an 8 or 9 for 45 minutes as long as u don't move and legs supported it's mabagabkw with meds. I'm hoping this weekend I see some improvements.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #25
I STILL don't get it

What kind of pain med? T3s or percs? Make sure you're ingesting enough fluids to help your liver and kidneys process the meds. I'd say double the amount that you regularly do. And watch out for rebound headaches from the med use if you'll be on them for a while. When the pain gets tolerable, taper off the meds gradually.
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote