REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Alberta registered vehicle got a VI in BC

Hi there I live out in Alberta and work between bc and ab. I got pulled over and was issued a box 2 VI. Is this even legally possible? My vehicle is registered and insured in Alberta and an APD officer issued it in BC?
Advertisement
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
I don't get it

what did you get ding for? if simple enough just get it done.
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Prince of the Apes

Exhaust and headlights, but it says full inspection on it. And I'm not gonna pay for something I don't have to get done if I don't have to.
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
You are responsible for following local laws, that's your responsibility. All the Alberta cars who drive around in BC without front plates can be issued tickets for no front plate displayed. Doesn't matter if you don't need them in AB, cuz who cares, you're in BC now
Old 04-24-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
physically impossible if you aren't issued a second plate... just saying lol.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Prince of the Apes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You are responsible for following local laws, that's your responsibility. All the Alberta cars who drive around in BC without front plates can be issued tickets for no front plate displayed. Doesn't matter if you don't need them in AB, cuz who cares, you're in BC now
I've been pulled over for that as well and the cop said I'm lucky I live in AB or he would of given me a no front plate ticket. So you're wrong.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
This is actually incorrect.

The law in BC is you must display whatever plates you are provided by the issuing agency. In AB you are only given one plate, therefor you can only display one plate.

For other items such as window tint, and exhaust noise and so on, yes you are responsible to follow the local laws.

Proof:

Quote:
3.011 Number plates issued for a vehicle under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act must be attached

(a) one plate to the front and one plate to the rear of the vehicle, if 2 number plates are issued for a vehicle, and
(b) to the rear of the vehicle, if a single number plate is issued for a vehicle.
The only exception to the above is if you have a commercial vehicle with GVW over 5500kg the one plate needs to go on the front not the rear.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Prince of the Apes

Yes but a VI is what I got not window tint and exhaust noise
Quote:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Yes but a VI is what I got not window tint and exhaust noise
I was just addressing the comment about the license plate thing which was incorrect.

In your particular case what the officer did is completely legal, as was pointed out before it is your responsibility to follow our BC MVA when operating a vehicle on our roads. This includes things like tires, suspension, lighting, window tint, exhaust, engine, emissions, etc.

VI's are how our province deals with these types of infractions. If the officer feels you have a vehicle which may not be following the guidelines, he issues a VI and you take your car to be inspected by someone who is qualified. PO's are not qualified inspectors. Your car may or may not be fine, but you still have to go get it inspected.

Now to be honest I don't exactly know what happens if your vehicle fails, I know you will not be allowed to operate the vehicle legally in BC, but I'm not sure what options they give you for taking the vehicle back to AB, you might have to tow it back, or you can drive it back, but you risk getting a whole slew of further tickets, and if anything were to happen I'm sure your insurance company would have a field day.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

But isn't a VI sole penalty not being able to insure your vehicle?
msmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

the road laws in BC are garbage. We surrey hood rats need to keep our front windows tinted and have no front license plate. All in our attempt to act all cool and gangster like.
YammieNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmorgan View Post
But isn't a VI sole penalty not being able to insure your vehicle?
Not quite. That is [supposed to be] a consequence, however failing to comply with a Notice and Order (the piece of paper the officer hands you, which says you need a vehicle inspection) also comes with a $598 ticket for every time you disregard the Notice and Order by driving on the road.

For example, a "Box 2" vehicle inspection gives you 30 days to comply with the MVA/MVAR and complete an inspection, and a note goes on the vehicle registration database that there is an outstanding Notice and Order and the issued date. If you fail to have that inspection and/or don't pass/don't get your inspection sticker and are found driving the vehicle, you're likely to get a "Box 1" (licence plates seized, vehicle removed from roadway) Notice and Order and a violation ticket for Failing to Comply with Order ($598).

For some reason, not all autoplan agents pay attention to the remarks about the outstanding Notice and Order and issue new plates/insurance, which allows some drivers to continue driving despite having not passed the inspection.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote