REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

What are the Pros and Cons of owning an Electricity-powered car?

Hi, I posting from out of town. I am writing coz i will be moving back to the Lower mainland area early next year.

Right now, i am in the research of car shopping to keep myself informed about car technology. This is where i come across the idea of Electricity-powered car.

From what i've heard, while they are more expensive than disel-powered/gasoline-powered cars, their maintenance and fuel cost are minimal (~$300 CAD a year??) I would like to hear from some comments from people that currently own an E-Car and see what the pros and cons are.

I am sure this will help me with my research.

Thanks!!!
Advertisement
leecljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Shove yo research where the sun don't shine.

Ain't nobody got time for stupid electricity cars, LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN V8. GOTTA LOVE THE SOUND OF THEM BALD EAGLES IN THE MORNIN BOY, ILL TELL YOU WHAT. MURICA LOVES V8'S AND SO SHOULD YOU!!!! UGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Rich ass nigga with a mouth full of gold, rich ass nigga with a mouth full of gold, rich ass nigga with a mouth full of gold, with a mouth full of gold, with a mouth full of gold
Rich ass nigga with a mouth full of gold, rich ass nigga with a mouth full of gold, rich ass nigga with a mouth full of gold, with a mouth full of gold, with a mouth full of gold
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/

Check out the Model 3. It starts at $35000 USD and should come with 60kWH or higher.

Dual motor (AWD) will be coming after initial launch.

Base model 3 will give you 345km range, 0-100km/h under 6.0 seconds, 5 star safety rating, autopilot included, and access to Superchargers.
scoobyej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Something tells me you're posting for a school project, anyways

Con:
If you're renting an apartment somewhere good fkn luck convincing landlord (or even strata if you own an older condo) to let you plug in

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Thanked 2,069 Times in 557 Posts
right now, other than the environment incentive (if you do not count the manufacturing process), there is not much benefit out of it... and not sure about long term reliability either...

you will never save enough fuel from the initial $10,000 plus premium of buying in... well you would... eventually...

the point is, you do not buy an electric car to save money... if you are thinking about saving money... late model second gen Prius.. (been hunting for one for a while now... would be the perfect family/cost saving/hauler vehicle)

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Haven't had personal experience living with the car everyday but I can tell you everyone that has bought one off me has loved it from day one.

Just from what I can see on my end with the focus electric. Leaving options, maintenance, and fuel costs out of it its all about the government rebates...all about the government rebates.

Government will give you a $5,000 rebate to purchase an electric car and will mail you an additional $6,000 cheque if you scrap your beater no matter year, engine size, or rebuilt title. Only thing they require is for the vehicle to be insured for the last 6 months and yes people take advantage of this and have brought in cars that would be worth the amount of fuel left in the tank.

Take a $33,000 car with $11,000 worth of incentives on it and lease payment of $335 that has heated seats, Bluetooth, navigation, and you don't need to put gas in. That's your pro.

Cons: Like stated some apartment complexes might not let you plug your car in there. With 186kms of range you would be limited to the lower mainland without having to stop for coffee (80% charge in 45min) so people with a second vehicle might be the best candidates for those wanting to make trips to Kelowna or Seattle without makes a few stops.
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
I went the BC Tech conference and the Chevy Bolt was the newest and best thing they had. Test drives were all booked. All the reps there were a part of a green association (kms), who raved about how great the leaf is. That being said, most of the reps lived out in poco and had a 10 minute drive to work, and poco is small so it made sense for them. But if you're going all around the lower mainland, I would not recommend.

I do have to admit that the nissan leafs are pretty fast and quick to respond from the accelerator. Way better than my experience in my civic. I still wouldn't get one tho.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
The VW e-Golf looks like a good alternative to the Leaf/Bolt. Just be sure to buy an extended warranty, imo.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

Thanked 2,069 Times in 557 Posts
oh shit!!!! That might actually start to make financial sense! Do they ever get discounted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrz View Post
Haven't had personal experience living with the car everyday but I can tell you everyone that has bought one off me has loved it from day one.

Just from what I can see on my end with the focus electric. Leaving options, maintenance, and fuel costs out of it its all about the government rebates...all about the government rebates.

Government will give you a $5,000 rebate to purchase an electric car and will mail you an additional $6,000 cheque if you scrap your beater no matter year, engine size, or rebuilt title. Only thing they require is for the vehicle to be insured for the last 6 months and yes people take advantage of this and have brought in cars that would be worth the amount of fuel left in the tank.

Take a $33,000 car with $11,000 worth of incentives on it and lease payment of $335 that has heated seats, Bluetooth, navigation, and you don't need to put gas in. That's your pro.

Cons: Like stated some apartment complexes might not let you plug your car in there. With 186kms of range you would be limited to the lower mainland without having to stop for coffee (80% charge in 45min) so people with a second vehicle might be the best candidates for those wanting to make trips to Kelowna or Seattle without makes a few stops.

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyej20 View Post

Check out the Model 3. It starts at $35000 USD and should come with 60kWH or higher.

Base model 3 will give you 345km range, 0-100km/h under 6.0 seconds, 5 star safety rating, autopilot included, and access to Superchargers.
To bad it's not for sale and there is a huge wait list.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,188 Times in 361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
To bad it's not for sale and there is a huge wait list.
Consider a Chevy Bolt. It actually exceeds the Model 3's promised range, and is faster than the 3 as well.

It actually exceeds the Model 3's extimated range (238 miles/383km vs 215 miles), as well doing 0-60 in 6.2, while Tesla has promised 6.5s for the Model 3. This is enough range for Richmond > Lonsdale Round Trip 5+ times.

Key differentiators for me is that the Bolt is a hatchback, so I can move things in it, and it's available TODAY. Tesla's substandard build quality for the drive units, headlights, interior and trim pieces vs GM's established expertise as an automaker make the practical choice a no brainer.

Especially since the range already exceeds what my V6 Accord does before I fill it up at 1/4 tank, I'd be more than happy to move into a Bolt if I were in the market for a car. Ontario's EV credit is a lot better as well.

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 05-14-2017 at 03:01 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Be careful with advertised ranges on electric cars as the range will decrease over time and decrease with loads (less range with multiple people in the car, if heat/AC is on, etc).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyej20 View Post

Things not coming till 2018ish?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #14
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Things not coming till 2018ish?
With their current production capacity if you haven't already preordered, you might get one in 2019/2020 if you order now?

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, the model S/X have had such poor reliability. Even if the 3 doesn't introduce any new tech the build quality is going to be questionable at best.

Give it a few years to work out the kinks but from what I've seen, the attitude towards QA is very.... casual? Almost treating customers like beta testers
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
oh shit!!!! That might actually start to make financial sense! Do they ever get discounted?
Ford is usually pretty good to you with manufacturer incentives (currently $750) but we ordered 7 and all 7 sold sight unseen before they arrived and for full price. The demand greatly outweighs the supply. At least for this vehicle and as long as there is money left in the government rebate pot.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
isn't there like a 5 year wait list for the Tesla Model 3?

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
The VW e-Golf looks like a good alternative to the Leaf/Bolt. Just be sure to buy an extended warranty, imo.
Right now, local VW dealerships want at least a 10% mark up on top of MSRP.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #18
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
With their current production capacity if you haven't already preordered, you might get one in 2019/2020 if you order now?

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, the model S/X have had such poor reliability. Even if the 3 doesn't introduce any new tech the build quality is going to be questionable at best.

Give it a few years to work out the kinks but from what I've seen, the attitude towards QA is very.... casual? Almost treating customers like beta testers
From what I know, parts supply / support for the Tesla cars are quite poor. This is especial so for the collision repair aspect. So this is definitely something I'd take into consideration.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
I drive a 2014 Volt with 135,000kms. Comes standard with an 8 year battery warranty AFAIK.

Pros:
-Reliable and cheap to maintain. Over it's lifetime, only tires and brake pads have been changed. Pad life if extended due to regen braking.
-Low operating cost. ~$2 per full charge at home. Free if charged elsewhere.
-Privileged parking spots
-Smooth. Anything powered by gas feels ancient by comparison.
-More than enough power to boot you around town, go up hills, etc.
-Range extender (Gas powered generator/engine) means you have unlimited range, as in any other ICE vehicle.
-Different power modes - throttle response can be adjusted.
-I've driven over 4,000kms and have used under 10L of gas.
-Claimed 60k of range but I'm able to get 70-80 as long as the heater/AC isn't on.

Cons:
-Brakes are shit. Half of the pedal range does nothing, the other half stops the world from rotating. Switch over from regen to pad braking is abrupt.
-Steering is shit. It's a commuter car so whatever.
-Interior build quality is pretty dodgy.
-AC/Heater takes up 6-7kw of power. For reference, it takes about 5-10kw to maintain a cruising speed of 50km/h on flat ground. On a cold & rainy day you'll get about half of the claimed range.
-Apparently it's funny for people to unplug your car while it's charging in public places.
-HOV privileged on the highway, but going HOV speeds drains your battery quickly.
-Usually run out of battery on the weekends. I don't charge at friends house's and you're SOL if there's not a charger where you're going.

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post

I put in a pre-order at like the 7:00pm release, have no idea if I want it anymore lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Do they still have that $6k rebate for beater car?
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberR17 View Post
Do they still have that $6k rebate for beater car?
Your answer is a google search away

https://scrapit.ca/
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Out of interest, if one were to buy an electric car such as a Bolt or Model 3, are you able to get the BC government Clean Vehicle incentive ($5,000), and then also get the ($6,000) BC Scrap It vehicle incentive on top? For a total of up to $11,000 off the price of the vehicle?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #24
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

In the lower mainland, Electric cars make financial sense if you meet ALL of the following conditions:
- long commute
- charging station at work AND home
- HOV lanes

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to make the argument for any gasoline equivalent. Even against a Tesla!

e.g. My friend works in Burnaby, lives in Maple Ridge. He puts on 35K/year mileage. With rebates, his Leaf cost him about $25K. His $/km is the lowest of any car he's driven because there are charging stations at his work. The car is also so mechanically simple there's very little to upkeep besides tires. And he saves time daily because he can drive HOV anytime.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 PM   #25
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noran View Post
I drive a 2014 Volt with 135,000kms. Comes standard with an 8 year battery warranty AFAIK.

Pros:
-Reliable and cheap to maintain. Over it's lifetime, only tires and brake pads have been changed. Pad life if extended due to regen braking.
-Low operating cost. ~$2 per full charge at home. Free if charged elsewhere.
-Privileged parking spots
-Smooth. Anything powered by gas feels ancient by comparison.
-More than enough power to boot you around town, go up hills, etc.
-Range extender (Gas powered generator/engine) means you have unlimited range, as in any other ICE vehicle.
-Different power modes - throttle response can be adjusted.
-I've driven over 4,000kms and have used under 10L of gas.
-Claimed 60k of range but I'm able to get 70-80 as long as the heater/AC isn't on.

Cons:
-Brakes are shit. Half of the pedal range does nothing, the other half stops the world from rotating. Switch over from regen to pad braking is abrupt.
-Steering is shit. It's a commuter car so whatever.
-Interior build quality is pretty dodgy.
-AC/Heater takes up 6-7kw of power. For reference, it takes about 5-10kw to maintain a cruising speed of 50km/h on flat ground. On a cold & rainy day you'll get about half of the claimed range.
-Apparently it's funny for people to unplug your car while it's charging in public places.
-HOV privileged on the highway, but going HOV speeds drains your battery quickly.
-Usually run out of battery on the weekends. I don't charge at friends house's and you're SOL if there's not a charger where you're going.
Thanks for the pro's and con's!! it really helps me to put things in perspective.

Since I have zero experience driving a hybrid, i was wondering if it switches between electric and gasoline automatically? or do you Manually switch mode?

Also, I guess some of the pro's and con's seems to be model specific...(such as sucky brakes and steering, etc) or is it the same for all e-cars??
leecljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: