REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #51
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
Look for the XRS trim level, 8,000 rpm redline, better brakes, alloy wheels, just generally a higher trim level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...%E2%80%932006)

This is on the higher end of pricing considering it's an '03 but it looks pretty clean and it's rare to find these cars with reasonable km on them as so many people DD them. On the flip side, it's a good indicator on their reliability that there are many ~300km examples for sale.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...700596678.html
If you wanted to slide under the radar even more, the Pontiac Vibe GT in that same generation is essentially the same car.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...700568798.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/...680054815.html
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #52
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Weird that’s the same Pontiac Vibe being sold from both a Chrysler dealer in Richmond and a place in New West? Same mileage... same passenger side rear door with really bad colour match on the paint... what gives???
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #53
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Tala auto may have bought it from the dealership

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #54
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
One other important thing about the Matrix is they fell under the Takata airbag recall, so if you get one call a dealer with the VIN and make sure the passenger airbag was replaced.

Quote:
Look for the XRS trim level, 8,000 rpm redline, better brakes, alloy wheels, just generally a higher trim level.
The XRS gets a 6 speed instead of the 5 speed the others got as well. Which to get depends a bit on how you drive, base/XR with the 1ZZ has the power come in sooner so for around town stuff it feels quicker, XRS with the 2ZZ has more peak power so if you want to blast down a backroad it'll be more fun. I've only driven our XR but the best way I can describe it is "eager", it won't win many drag races but it seems to encourage you to drive it quickly and keep your momentum.

Speaking of trim levels watch out for anything called a TRD, there was no TRD edition but it looks like if you bought any TRD accessory (spoiler, exhaust tip, etc) they took the badge off and put a TRD badge on.

Quote:
This is on the higher end of pricing considering it's an '03 but it looks pretty clean and it's rare to find these cars with reasonable km on them as so many people DD them. On the flip side, it's a good indicator on their reliability that there are many ~300km examples for sale.
We've had ours for 3.5 years and put on ~40k km, it's close to 200k now and all that it's needed was oil changes. One thing that made deciding to buy one easy was that since the drivetrain is solid and used all over there's a lot of supply but little demand from the crashed ones in junkyards. From memory a low mileage engine goes for something like $600 and a trans was $500. So even if you somehow manage to blow up the engine or trans (and by most accounts you've got to really be trying to pull that off) it's not going to cost you much.

Intake manifold and throttle body gasket leaks are common but they cost next to nothing and are super easy to change since the intake is on the front side of the engine. On a side note the early (I wanna say 03-04?) ones were cable throttle and the later ones are DBW if that matters to you.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #55
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Forget the Matrix XRS, you can't get XRS with AWD (to my knowledge). Here's an all in one:

2007 WRX Wagon, 130K kms, $9000
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...702560663.html

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #56
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,187 Times in 360 Posts
I'm going to give a +1 for the Acura TL Manual.

It's a 4 door with enough room for everyone, no known issues except for 3rd gear popout which can be fixed with tranny fluid, and a powerful NA.

In terms of being fun, the 6MT version of 3G TL comes with Brembos and an LSD standard. Plenty of power, and good feeling handling when you want it.

Compared to the 6MT TSX, you get far more power, better brakes, and much less risk of axle issues (1G TSX famous for axle failure, ~900 a side from the dealer part's only)
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
TL is a bit of a boat compared to some of the other stuff here...
I think CSX-S is the best suggestion so far if you don't need a hatch
it will feel slightly more modern than an old Prius, and you get leather/"tech" next to a near-identical Si (fair bit more exclusive/rare too)
unfortunately it also has 3rd gear pop-out like most sporty manual Hondas of the 2000s...goddamn just buy another Prius lol

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-23-2018 at 06:47 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #58
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Forget the Matrix XRS, you can't get XRS with AWD (to my knowledge).
AWD was available with the 1ZZ (base/XR) and auto only. Though if someone wants a manual, AWD Toyota wagon/hatch just import a Caldina. They're available boosted but the N/A BEAMS 3SGE models will scoot you around just fine.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #59
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
TL is a bit of a boat compared to some of the other stuff here...
I think CSX-S is the best suggestion so far if you don't need a hatch
it will feel slightly more modern than an old Prius, and you get leather/"tech" next to a near-identical Si (fair bit more exclusive/rare too)
unfortunately it also has 3rd gear pop-out like most sporty manual Hondas of the 2000s...goddamn just buy another Prius lol
Mine never had the pop-out per say. But it definitely had an occasional notchiness into third. I used amsoil and it fixed it magically somehow :shrug:

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 09-23-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #60
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
A new Mitsubishi Mirage is not a "fun" car.
Had one for a week while the Evo X was at the shop.

Never would have given it much thought either, but this car has to be the best commuter car for your wallet.

It's light and has a tiny 3 cylinder engine that barely uses gas, Mitsubishi gives you a nice 10 year powertain warranty that nobody else does, and you will not find a cheaper and newer model year vehicle than the mirage.

That being said, the most fun thing about this car is its body roll and trying to keep it from ending up on its roof.

forcedot is offline   Reply With Quote