REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Richmond woman cleaning bumper with gas pump (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712587-richmond-woman-cleaning-bumper-gas-pump.html)

SkunkWorks 06-05-2017 10:31 AM

Gas eats paint... So yes, you should wipe it off (via squeegee, bottled water, paper towel, microfibre, etc.) if any comes into contact with paint.

MrPhreak 06-05-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8845062)
Dude are you for real

Well, I guess trying to find any common ground in this thread is pointless, If you are going to trying and poke holes in my posts, then let me at least spell it out for you.

1) Using the gas hose directly on parts of your car is pretty dumb, that is what I agree with, and that is what I am not defending.

2) Using gasoline as a solvent to clean a things like bitumen off your car is a valid method. As for the claim it isn't a good technique because it will strip off paint, I've had fuel spill out on my paint near the gas filler on all of my car countless times and not bothered to clean it off, and the paint has never once been affected.

3) The pulling of "the race card"... uh ok, let's take this down a few notches. It isn't exactly a secret that RS, and the rest of Vancouver for that matter enjoy poking fun at old Asian ladies doing silly things. Maybe it has just become so ingrained in the culture here that it goes unnoticed, but as somebody who is moving with fresh eyes it is pretty obvious. All I was trying to say is that if this had been a logger in Prince George cleaning off his licence plate with diesel (which is actually a thing btw), despite being basically the exact same type of thing, it probably wouldn't have been some crazy viral video and on the 6:00 news.

4)I stand by my stance that this isn't worth the attention it is getting. Yeah the person is being pretty dumb, but there is a fever pitch of SJW's vibrating in their arm chairs jerking off to this story, and it is hardly warranted.

Further to my point, last year when I was fueling up in Chilliwack I saw some yokel filling up a 2L pop bottle with gas (probably for his lawn mower or something)... nobody went full SJW on his ass, people raised an eyebrow and thought "what an idiot", and then went on with their life.

5) Now finally, if I had saw this person doing this, if I was literally standing next to her waiting for my car to fill, I'd probably say something like "WTF are you doing", but otherwise it is hardly noteworthy. What I wouldn't do is pull out my phone (mostly because that is just as stupid given that gas stations post very clearly "Do not use your phone when refueling") and snap a picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8845087)
yup, if you look at pretty much all his posts on rs, you can come to the conclusion that he is, indeed, for real.

Well, somebody has to play devils advocate, otherwise it would get kind of boring on here. Besides, how else am I going to pass the afternoons?

originalhypa 06-05-2017 01:14 PM

^
I'm starting to like this guy.
Kappa

Ferra 06-05-2017 02:20 PM

stupid thing she is doing for sure..
but I bet the majority of people ridiculing this don't even realize you can use gasoline as a solvent to clean sticky stain and grease. (e.g. i got a jerry can for lawnmower at home and i used them to clean tape residual on shitty labels..)

Most people are laughing because they thought the lady can't distinguish between a water hose and gasoline hose.

Dragon-88 06-05-2017 02:22 PM

Hell I fill a gatorade bottle of gas every time my bike or someone I know forgets to fill and is empty. No one has taken pictures of me.. NBD.

vitaminG 06-05-2017 02:40 PM

Doesn't the gas eat through the plastic if you're filling up Gatorade bottles?

Urrtoast 06-05-2017 03:21 PM

I have never had or seen gas take paint of my cars, trucks or even bikes ever.
I have had gas eat and soften some plastics.
And I have had brake cleaner eat some paint off before.

Just sayin

ZN6 06-05-2017 03:33 PM

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/012013/135...as_station.gif

At least the asian lady looks to be using the gas sparingly. The one above is just pissing rainbows all over her windshield. How much did people care about this one?

AzNightmare 06-05-2017 05:39 PM

People should use 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol instead of gas. It's surprising how much rubbing alcohol can remove, and it's safer, dries quickly, doesn't need to be rinsed off, and it also doesn't smell as bad (subjective) and the vapors are short term.

I have a whole arrange of cleaning products for my car and to be honest, none of them seem to work better than straight up rubbing alcohol. So far, I've never seen any negative issues on my car paint.

ae101 06-05-2017 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's add a little flavor to this thread courtesy of jack fm fb page (yes this is in Richmond)

teggy604 06-06-2017 09:36 AM

I like how the new just say "use common sense" One thing they don't teach you at school. Either you have it or you don't.

Manic! 06-06-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 8845232)
Let's add a little flavor to this thread courtesy of jack fm fb page (yes this is in Richmond)

Had that happen twice this year at our gas station. Good thing they have a quick release.

Great68 06-06-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8845156)
Doesn't the gas eat through the plastic if you're filling up Gatorade bottles?

While PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate, the stuff most clear drink bottles are made of) is not 100% gasoline resistant, it would take months of holding gas before the bottle would fail.

unit 06-06-2017 12:35 PM

at work i have a 500ml water bottle full of gas. i use it to clean the small white board next to my desk (in a shop, not an office). i prick punctured the lid so hardly any comes out when i squeeze it. it's been there for like 3 years, i can't notice any degradation in the bottle. it is plastic #1, or Polyethylene Terephthalate as Great68 said.

Badhobz 06-06-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8845170)
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/012013/135...as_station.gif

At least the asian lady looks to be using the gas sparingly. The one above is just pissing rainbows all over her windshield. How much did people care about this one?

Insider Report: Using gas to clean windshield? Not a bright idea - WHEELS.ca

Fucking Russians!:fuckyea:

twitchyzero 06-06-2017 11:29 PM

99% guaranteed if it wasn't an Asian lady in the photo doing stupid shit involving a car in Richmond, it would not have blown up on Reddit then getting coverage with news outlets.