REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Stainless Steel - buffing/polishing

got a superficial scratch on a stainless steel 'in wall' oven. I can't feel the scratch with my fingernail however it doesn't seem to be removeable by simple wiping down.

what's a good method to buff out this surface scratch? I was going to try the usual toothpaste and then polish. is there a specific stainless steel cleaning solution that can handle this?
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
got a superficial scratch on a stainless steel 'in wall' oven. I can't feel the scratch with my fingernail however it doesn't seem to be removeable by simple wiping down.

what's a good method to buff out this surface scratch? I was going to try the usual toothpaste and then polish. is there a specific stainless steel cleaning solution that can handle this?
from my experience you will need to wet sand in the same direction.

most likely you will need to sand the whole surface for consistency UNLESS u find the paper with the right grit to blend in.
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

If you can't feel it with your fingernail, maybe try a very mild car polish to see if you can polish it out?

I'm not sure if the surface is textured or has some kind of clearcoat on top of the surface but that might be worth noting. Baking soda may work too but those might be a bit more on the aggressive side and might end up making the polished area look different to the area around it.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

I don't think you can repair stainless steel easily.
Any spot you buff/polish will end up looking different from the rest of the area.
And I found most stainless steel appliance has a "linear" direction. So even if you buff the entire face, it still won't look like original
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

My girlfriend manages a appliance store, when they get scratches on display models, they usually send the panel back for a replacement from the manufacturer. She's tried everything to remove scratches from stainless, and nothing ever works good, usually end up with that spot looking different than the rest of the stainless. No easy way to fix scratches on stainless steel. Easier to just replace whole panel.
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
ordered new trim piece. its the outside piece of the in-wall microwave...

you can see the mark middle of photo.

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Scotchbrite on a belt sander
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote