REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Canada's defence policy of increasing military spending over the next decade

I support the fed's defence policy of increasing military spending over the next decade from 18.9 to 32.7 billion.

We cannot depend on the Americans under the Trump administration to provide us military protection in a world with so many threats from terrorism to cyber warfare.

The big question is how is the federal government gonna come up with the money to increase military spending?

Canada to increase military spending over the next decade to $32.7 billion - NEWS 1130

The Trudeau government has outlined the case for billions of dollars in new military spending.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan has revealed the government’s defence policy will see an increase in spending of 70 per cent over the next decade from $18.9 billion to $32.7 billion. Minister was questioned why he won’t say where this new money will come from. Sajjan simply repeated that the government will make sure the money is there.

Speaking in Ottawa, Sajjan adds Canada will add hundreds of new elite special forces commandos, wage offensive cyber warfare and deploy armed drones to international battlefields as part of its military response to global security threats.

The new defence review identifies a wide range of harrowing and borderless threats, including the “grey zone” of hybrid warfare, ever-present terrorism and climate change.

The 88 new fighter jets expected to cost between $15 to 19 billion. The government claims it is still committed to open competition to replace CF18 fighter jets.

Some of Canada’s military operations will include government-sanctioned cyber attacks and drone strikes on foreign threats, and an increased the role for special forces in overseas missions.

The review says this new, elite and futuristic approach to war fighting will respect domestic and international laws.

However, the very nature of the secrecy that envelops almost all of Canada’s special forces, as well as the active expansion of fighting in cyberspace will likely raise questions about transparency and civil liberties

The policy increases the ranks of special forces by 605 people and says they will get new airborne intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance tools.

Today’s announcement comes almost two weeks after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with NATO nations in Brussels.

Harjit Sajjan
✔ ‎@HarjitSajjan

Through our new Defence Policy, we will do more for our people in uniform, and their families. #CanadaDefence

10:12 AM - 7 Jun 2017
Advertisement

Last edited by pastarocket; 02-21-2018 at 05:53 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

its about damn time. we should have never relied on the US to protect ourselves. soft power needs a strong military in case diplomacy don't work like in the the case of Donald Trump.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
I'm all for better support of military personnel, veterans and their families

but do we really need hacking and predator drones?

we as North Americans can keep talking shit about the Chinese/Russians...when in reality we're not any better with the cyber espionage.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i rather see where the budget goes/ dept. etc

with the changing world situation. we need less military (boots on the ground) and more cyber crime/intelligence and offensive capabilities.. and new tech infrastructure.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Oh, Canadian politicians are finally going to spend money on the military they've been neglecting for 50 years? Sometime in the next 20 years?

I'll believe it all when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
with the changing world situation. we need less military (boots on the ground) and more cyber crime/intelligence and offensive capabilities.. and new tech infrastructure.
This is a very uneducated attempt at a coherent statement, we need more of everything. I don't think the Canadian public understands how badly undermanned, underfunded, and under-kitted the Canadian military really is. Intelligence services are barely keeping up with modern demands. If this country wasn't so blessed geographically and geo-politically we'd be in a world of hurt.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Good. Now there's a small hope in hell we can maintain our northern sovereignty
Old 06-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
We wouldn't be under as much stress if our neighbour to the south weren't the Americans. Yes, we are part of NATO and we need to cough up our share of the duties. I'm all for that. America, or at least Trump, says it's unfair, but ffs, stop being an arms dealer and being the number one target from people and aliens from all corners of the fucking galaxy.

I remember that Avro Arrow days......... what a total fuck up that was. We could have been........ anyway, shit happens and then shit happens.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
wonder how much spare cash we have left over for road repairs,education,public sector....technology?..health care?...aren't hospitals overloaded?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

more importantly where is the $ coming from?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Wealthy Chinese immigrants, and the exploitation of our natural resources.

To compare our military to United States wouldn't be fair unless we had an extra 300 million people.

If we want to become super power status, we're going to need more immigrants or start having more babies. Having a housing problem does not help with either one of those.

I forgot to add in a completely broken legal system that creates slave labour out of the prison system, and having one of the largest prison populations in the world. That is a little of what sums up the cost of soverignty. I'm sure there's much more to it.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
To compare our military to United States wouldn't be fair unless we had an extra 300 million people.
I believe it is according to GDP or per capita numbers.

On another topic...........

Isn't the US the world's number one arms dealer?

More wars = more money.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_expenditures

USA spends more than the next 10 countries combined. They also spend in one year than we will in 10 years.

In terms of raw numbers it's still pretty staggering. 600 billion dollars in 2015.

Ok, so per GDP they're not at the top, but the countries that beat them out seem to be all middle eastern or islamic states.

Last edited by DragonChi; 06-08-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added GDP numbers
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I believe it is according to GDP or per capita numbers.

On another topic...........

Isn't the US the world's number one arms dealer?

More wars = more money.
I wouldn't be surprised if the US was the #1 arms dealer in the world. I would agree that part of their economy is built on going to war. Personally, I can't think of one war in the last 20 years where there was a good reason for them to be there.