REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Lost car key could cost family thousands of dollars

is there any hope for this family, or are they truly screwed?

Lost car key could cost Surrey couple thousands of dollars | CTV Vancouver News

Quote:
CTV Vancouver
Published Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:15PM PDT

A Surrey family was on vacation in Victoria when they found themselves locked out of their new Toyota minivan.

Maria and John Higgins took their family to B.C.'s capital in their new Estima, a hybrid imported from Japan.
"It was a wonderful family vacation and then in one second it turned into a nightmare," Maria told CTV News on Wednesday.
The Higgins family is offering a $500 reward for safe return of their key so they don't have to sell the van for parts.

The "nightmare" began on a sunset stroll Friday along Wharf Street, somewhere between The Keg and The Local.
John was holding the van's key in his hand, but he put it down to help his son Riley tie his shoes. Within minutes, they realized the key was missing.

"We went back and they weren’t there," Higgins said.
"We just went round and round in circles," his wife added.

Like many modern vehicles, the Toyota key has a special transponder chip inside, John explained, which means even if they broke into their own car, the ignition would be disabled without it.

And when they bought their van less than a month ago at Velocity Cars in Burnaby, they were only given a single key.
Since they couldn’t find the key, they decided to leave the van parked in Victoria, and hope for good news when they called Toyota on Monday.
But back on the mainland, things got worse.
Because the van was imported used from Japan, the Higgins said, they were told that there was no way to replace that key anywhere in North America.
"Yesterday I got a call from a dealer in Bellingham who services imported Toyotas," John said. "And he said, the only way Toyota will cut you a new key is if your van is physically in a Toyota dealer in Japan."

And when they called Velocity Cars, which specializes in Japanese imports, they were told the same thing.
"If he had given me this key, and said 'Guard this key with your life. It’s the only way to get into your car,' maybe we would have looked at things a little differently," Higgins said.

Velocity Cars General Manager Serge Mozgovoy told CTV that they’re doing everything they can to help the family find a solution.
The Higgins say every time they come up with possible fix, their hopes are dashed.

"I've got three mechanics calling people in Japan," John said.
"John's been up all night watching YouTube," Maria added.

But videos he's found online have both convinced that they may need a hacker to help them get into their van.

"We have to find some guru who knows how to reset this stuff without frying the whole thing," Maria said. "Somebody on this planet must understand this stuff. I don’t know where that person is."

The Higgins are offering a $500 reward for safe return of their key. Otherwise, they say, the vehicle may have to be sold for parts, and they’ll be out thousands of dollars.

They ask its finder to contact them at 604-616-8384.

With a report from CTV Vancouver's David Molko
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 06-08-2017 at 02:13 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
If it's like the Smart Key System for my Prius, they either need to find the key, or figure out what the serial number is. I doubt that the owner was ignorant to the importance of the key since he imported that vehicle, and probably did extensive research on it. He likely got lazy in producing another copy of the key.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Even with a VIN you can't get a key cut/made?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
I don't get it

probably not. the VIN is available for anyone to see
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
With my bmw I had to show them my registration and id. I don't know why a dealership would need the physical vehicle there.

Pretty stupid to only have one key, I usually take two if I'm on a road trip
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Yeah, it would be way easier to make a copy of the original key by copying its signal.

I wonder if they tried calling a locksmith.

Last edited by DragonChi; 06-08-2017 at 04:05 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Some of the tech in new cars is just plan stupid.

key left in car. car locks. Tow guy hits the unlock with a long wire. Car will not open. Had to smash window.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
And people want to replace the mechanical links between you and the engine, transmission, brakes and steering with wires...

How long will it take until "I told you so" is a valid response to shit like this? I'll take my regular, steel, boring car keys thank you very much.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
retired

I work at a Toyota dealership. I can get a key code from a VIN# as long as it is a Canadian market Toyota. In order for me to cut a key from a VIN, we are required to prove that the vehicle belongs to the person. Insurance papers and drivers license are a must, or I cant do it.

I'm not sure what the Estima uses for keys, but it isn't completely hopeless. As long as you get the right key type, a new one could be made, however, that would involve recoding all the locks/ignition. As for the immobilizer, no idea if the dealerships can reprogram. Any local Toyota, it isn't an issue, however, with the JDM imports, it can get difficult.

And this is why I cannot stress this enough. If you lose one of your master keys, have another made ASAP. It will cost you a lot less on the long run.

Losing all master keys requires more work, and sometimes, a new ECU.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
the minivan is from the early 2000s
not exactly late model
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i looked up 2000 toyota estima keys and this is what came up:

https://www.lelong.com.my/toyota-est...-07-Sale-P.htm

it looks the same as any toyota/lexus key from that era, at least on the outside.

my memory is fuzzy now, but i remember spending under $300 to get another master made for my mom's old rx300, and was able to program it using instructions online from the clublexus message boards with a generic unprogrammed blank from ebay, but i can't remember if you need one of the original master keys to pair with. i wonder if there is something similar for the estima.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 06-09-2017 at 09:50 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
^ looks the same yeah but the casing is useless without guts, which house the chip which starts the car. you can get a place to replace the lock cylinder and a key to match but that's still useless without the chip programmed to the cars ecu. it's odd that any toyota dealer can't do it but i guess since it's not even a van that was ever made on this side of the water..

also

Quote:
"If he had given me this key, and said 'Guard this key with your life. It’s the only way to get into your car,' maybe we would have looked at things a little differently," Higgins said.
..how about being more careful with your key, knowing that it was the only one you were given?
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I wonder which Toyota dealer they called. The service advisor at Jim Pattison Toyota in Victoria basically told me to go pound sand when I mentioned I had a 94 Supra TT RHD that needed service. They refuse to touch anything imported from Japan.

I feel bad for them. I work in the area all the time and will do some looking along Wharf Street on Friday if time allows. It's possible someone picked it up then chucked it somewhere nearby. There is a large amount of street / homeless people in the area so who knows where it went.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
key left in car. car locks. Tow guy hits the unlock with a long wire. Car will not open. Had to smash window.
pretty sure the button would've worked within the first 15mins or so of locking the car, but once the car goes into sleep mode, all electronics r disabled. do u want someone walking around with a long enough coat hanger to just casually unlock every car and go through peoples stuff? also, in that skota, im pretty sure the door lock actuators and handle are still mechanical, so the tow truck guy could've used a slim jim to try and unlock the car that way instead of breaking a glass, but of course he took the easy way out cus the repair bill is not on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
With my bmw I had to show them my registration and id. I don't know why a dealership would need the physical vehicle there.

Pretty stupid to only have one key, I usually take two if I'm on a road trip
If the car has a factory immobilizer, the key needs to be programmed, regardless if it has a remote or not.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I bought Toyota tech stream on eBay/amazon for less than $25 to program my keys
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

does it have the estima model in it?

I wonder if there a JP model out there that does the same thing.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
RS Veteran

Just spent my coffee break looking along the road, laneways, alleys, planters etc. No sign of them.

I read on times colonist there were multiple fobs and a custom made piano on the key chain Pretty hard to miss and too big for a bird to pick up. Someone took it.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

I question the story this guy is telling how he lost it too. IMO he's SOL.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #20
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
I bought Toyota tech stream on eBay/amazon for less than $25 to program my keys
You can do that? What else do you need in terms of software or hardware?
Will this method work for other brands like Audi, VW, Volvo, etc?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #21
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
I question the story this guy is telling how he lost it too. IMO he's SOL.
Haha, +1

If my wife had made my buy a hybrid import minivan, I'd probably mysteriously lose the keys as well

Hmmmmm, I wonder how it would look if you added some hypothetical context to the story

"It was a wonderful family vacation and then in one second it turned into a nightmare," Maria told CTV News on Wednesday"
While John quietly cursed her for reaching out to the media in his head, he hadn't anticipated this after throwing the keys down a sewer grate

"We went back and they weren’t there," Higgins said Flatly
"We just went round and round in circles," his wife added.
John secretly smirks

"I've got three mechanics calling people in Japan," John said.
Earlier Maria had asked him what he was doing... talking to Japanese mechanics with no names of course!

"John's been up all night watching YouTube," Maria added.
John quietly adds "Yes... I was up all night watching car videos... and I was using the tissue paper to cry into"

The Higgins are offering a $500 reward for safe return of their key.
But John knows it could be 5,000$ and it will still never be found, mwaahahahaha

Disclaimer: This is a joke btw, I don't actually think John tossed his keys down a drain so they could ditch their minivan in Victoria.... despite seeming like the perfect plan!
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #22
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
They bought a vehicle from Velocity (mistake #1) that only came with one key (mistake #2) and never bothered to get another key made (mistake #3)?

I'm also not sure how their current solution is to sell the van for parts. If they can't find someone parting one out in North America then get someone to contact a wreckers in Japan and buy the keys, ECU and lock cylinders from a junkyard one. The ECU's are <$100 on eBay, I can't imagine the parts you need would cost more than a few hundred bucks.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #23
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
They bought a vehicle from Velocity (mistake #1) that only came with one key (mistake #2) and never bothered to get another key made (mistake #3)?

I agree. These people don't seem very smart to begin with.

And that's just another reason why I avoid J spec cars. Wrong wheel drive is just the tip of the iceberg.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #24
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
I agree. These people don't seem very smart to begin with.

And that's just another reason why I avoid J spec cars. Wrong wheel drive is just the tip of the iceberg.
I think you're wording it wrong. Wrong wheel drive = FWD? lol

I love JDM cars, but I just caution people that certain parts are harder to obtain.

I get grief from customers who bought RHD diesel Land Cruisers. They call asking for engine parts. Not sure how it is with other manufacturers, but with Toyota, we cannot get JDM specific parts. If the part came on a North American model, then it is ok. We never got the diesel engines, hence why no parts for it.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #25
RS Veteran

^ Yep. I've gone to my local Toyota dealer armed with a part number for the North American model and it is no problem. JDM specific parts is a no go.