REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Higher temperature in house than outside

Hey,

Anyone have any roofing experience? Currently my house is 86F on the main floor, basement is fine and outside it is 75F. Wondering if poor insulation or ventilation is most likely the issue. Also, if anyone has a company they can recommend for this kind of thing.

Thanks
Advertisement
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I'm no engineer, but from my exp. of dealing with computer cooling, it's mainly ventilation.

Insulation only retards the timing of a place getting hot. However, the heat would build up eventually and you need to make way for heat to dissipate. If not, insulation actually works against you as it retains the heat for longer.

Open your windows, turn on some fan to move the hot air out. There's a reason why high-performance computer cases have holes everywhere for one to put fans on. Fans basically force the hot air out much more quickly allowing a lower temperature in the case.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
If you don't have ac then even installing 1 solar powered fan on your roof will make a huge difference.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Your windows also matter with helping prevent the heat entering the house as well.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Opening all windows and doors on the shaded side of the house should help too. Then you have to worry about strangers and bugs.

Last edited by DragonChi; 06-26-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: grammar
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Ventilation / air flow is likely the culprit.

In my parents' house, the room on the south east side was the absolute hottest, while other rooms throughout the house would no more than what is measured or reported outside. The delta between outside temp and the temperature inside that one specific room was almost always 12 degrees hotter and stuffier.

We found out that the house's previous owner moved the dog from that one room because it nearly died from heat exhaustion to the main floor and basement because of poor ventilation.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Judicious use of the blinds may also help. My house gets the afternoon sun through the windows on one side of my house, the biggest being the living room windows. If I have forgotten to close the blinds before sun hits...the house heats up over 10 degrees on a weekend like we just had. Close the blinds before the afternoon, and it stays significantly more comfortable.

If I'm leaving for the day, I just need to close the blinds before I go in the morning to make sure it isn't sweltering in the house when I get home.
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
will have to dish out money for an A/C...will help tons.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
will have to dish out money for an A/C...will help tons.
Easy for you to say, Mr.Money!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote