REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 06-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Plate relocate, legal or not legal?

Looking to do a DIY fender eliminator because the stock reflector mounts make it really easy on this bike, but I also don't want to get pulled over for it. Heard that a few people got ticketed this in various places around the world, so just wondering if anyone knows if this would catch police attention or not in the GVA? And also if we need to have license plate lights shining directly onto the plate?

TIA

Advertisement

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
By law the license plate needs to be at the rearmost point of the bike (which in most cases in the back of the rear tire hence why fenders stick out so far). From what I've noticed most cops don't bat an eye if the plate is just underneath the taillights and is lit up at night. But they lose their minds if the plate is located near the rear shock in between the frame and swingarm where it's barely visible.
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Just be realistic with the place relocation. Have it bolt on, have it visible, have a light on it and if you use a tail tidy make sure you still have a rear fender
Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Just be realistic with the place relocation. Have it bolt on, have it visible, have a light on it and if you use a tail tidy make sure you still have a rear fender
Hm what do you mean by rear fender? I thought the tidy tail was to get rid of the fender haha, the tidy tail on my R3 is basically just a L bracket with mounts for the signals and plate

I just picked up a 03 CBR600RR, I guess I'll have to grab a similar design fender eliminator as the R3 :/ Looks kinda funky with the center exhaust though

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
A tail tidy can also be a fender eliminator, but if an officer wants to give you a VI they can for no rear fender (regardless of whether the rear seat/fairings extend over the rear like most sport bikes)
Old 06-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
hmm... interesting... didn't know the R3 didn't have a tire hugger attached to the swing-arm.
I doubt a cop will really notice no fender, but will definitely noticed if a plate isn't legible and tucked way under the tail.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
I STILL don't get it

I actually got pulled over a few weeks back and an officer picked my bike apart. Flush mounts, integrated taillight, fender eliminator, exhaust, no reflectors but was super chill. A fellow biker himself he told me my fender eliminator was illegal but since it wasn't tucked the way Vexor described that no police officer would really bother. I was told that unless the reflectors are still on the plate bracket any fender eliminator is illegal. As for the integrated taillight they are illegal. The signal lights have to be the width of the bike but as long as they are separate and visible (Smaller LED kits) you likely will never get hassled. My front flush mounts were his concern because they are basically invisible to people and in the case of an accident icbc will basically rape me. Ended up getting a no reflector ticket ($56).

Last edited by prudz; 06-29-2017 at 09:00 AM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
hmm... interesting... didn't know the R3 didn't have a tire hugger attached to the swing-arm.
I doubt a cop will really notice no fender, but will definitely noticed if a plate isn't legible and tucked way under the tail.
I actually bought one for the R3 because I found it surprising too, then I looked under there when mine arrived and noticed that there's actually a plastic liner that hides all the suspension and undertail stuff to prevent the tire shooting road grime at it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
I actually got pulled over a few weeks back and an officer picked my bike apart. Flush mounts, integrated taillight, fender eliminator, exhaust, no reflectors but was super chill. A fellow biker himself he told me my fender eliminator was illegal but since it wasn't tucked the way Vexor described that no police officer would really bother. I was told that unless the reflectors are still on the plate bracket any fender eliminator is illegal. As for the integrated taillight they are illegal. The signal lights have to be the width of the bike but as long as they are separate and visible (Smaller LED kits) you likely will never get hassled. My front flush mounts were his concern because they are basically invisible to people and in the case of an accident icbc will basically rape me. Ended up getting a no reflector ticket ($56).
Thanks for the good information!! I'm looking to get flush mounts for the CBR600 too, I also ordered some mirrors with integrated turn signals so hopefully that'll still be legal? I just don't want to get hassled too much before I get my full license in a few months, but it's hard not to start making the bike look a bit better lol

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Turn signal mirrors are legal. That is what i'm thinking i'll be leaning towards as it is one of the most common reasons to be pulled over out of any of the above mentioned. I love my lack of reflectors, fender, and signals on the rear so i'm subjecting myself to the heat. Oh well. No different then always limo tinting my cars lmao.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote