REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Credit Card Chargebacks

How does it work? You call in to make a charge back and most of time, it's approved?

Say if I pay for a service, can I call in and claim I didn't get the service, and get my money back?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
God of Unce

Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
I'll bite since the OP doesn't appear to be a troll.

From my experience, you can claim a chargeback and the CC company will refund you immediately. However, if the merchant disputes this you will have to provide evidence to make your claim.

Had this happen twice: once a merchant double charged me, another charged me tax when they shouldn't have. In both cases they did not respond to my queries for a refund. Chargeback was a last resort.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
See a post from Mr_chin and already know its going to be a head scratcher.

OP delivered.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Isn't OP the dude that walked out of IHOP after eating all the food, because the food was cold or some shit?

Edit*: nm, that was somebody else haha
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
in my recent experience...it may depend on the bank...but you have to prove that the dispute is valid.

i.e. i cancelled service with an alarm company that bills me per month for monitoring. they billed me anyways so i had to show my email that was sent to the alarm company to stop billing.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
when you claim a chargeback, the most common reasons are: 1) item not as described 2) didn't receive item/item took longer than promised and 3) fraud or not authorized transaction

you'll generally get your money back right away but as others have suggested, the merchant can dispute the chargeback if they choose to and if they have evidence to fight your claim. At this point, the merchant's acquiring bank *may* rule in favour of the merchant and give them their funds back but you can still dispute it again. If you dispute again, the merchant will need to submit new evidence that they did not provide during the first round of review. This is also the point where it gets expensive for the merchant because if they fight the chargeback and lose, they'd have to eat the chargeback costs + a $500 or so penalty to VISA/MC/Discovery/AMEX. Most merchants won't even bother at this point and would simply accept the chargeback because the costs involved are too high; not to mention they've already spent the resources (human capital) to fight it.

If you can, try to resolve the issue with the merchant first before disputing a chargeback and only look to it as a last resort. As a merchant myself being on the receiving end, getting a chargeback is a long, drawn out process that just requires a lot of unnecessary resources
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

There is something about RS i just can't grasp. It's like, people here are so judgmental about post topics. And there are few people here that preys on posts like it's their part time job or something.

Sees a post.
"RS Judgement crew on duty!"
"Oh oh, it could be a troll... better not reply with anything smart."
Replies with a meme.
"Haha, I got him now!"
"Oh wait, the fail button... ah yes! That is a MUST!"

You got nothing helpful or relevant to share, why even bother replying? Oh wait, I forgot, it must make your dick seem bigger or something. This is why RS is dead cause there is a crew with the judgment stick just waiting to thank/fail/hijack posts. The sad fucking part is, this post is legit asking for insight on how something works, yet these few individual already have their guard up... get a fucking life.

To those who helped, I appreciate it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
linguistic ninja

You're welcome.

Pro tip though, maybe look at the way you crafted your original question. Instead of coming up with a hypothetical and somewhat shady sounding "If I pay for and get sumting and then chargeback I will get mah moneyz bak?? teeheehee?"

Instead of that perhaps you can tell us your reasoning for wanting a refund from a merchant which may elicit more sympathy from us.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
There is something about RS i just can't grasp. It's like, people here are so judgmental about post topics. And there are few people here that preys on posts like it's their part time job or something.

Sees a post.
"RS Judgement crew on duty!"
"Oh oh, it could be a troll... better not reply with anything smart."
Replies with a meme.
"Haha, I got him now!"
"Oh wait, the fail button... ah yes! That is a MUST!"

You got nothing helpful or relevant to share, why even bother replying? Oh wait, I forgot, it must make your dick seem bigger or something. This is why RS is dead cause there is a crew with the judgment stick just waiting to thank/fail/hijack posts. The sad fucking part is, this post is legit asking for insight on how something works, yet these few individual already have their guard up... get a fucking life.

To those who helped, I appreciate it.
If you posted: "I'm thinking about purchasing a service but I have doubts about whether or not I'll receive the service. If I use my credit card, how does a charge back work? If I don't receive the service, can I get my money back?"

You'd probably get very little suspicion.

Instead, you posted:
Quote:
How does it work? You call in to make a charge back and most of time, it's approved?

Say if I pay for a service, can I call in and claim I didn't get the service, and get my money back?
Which makes it seem like you're exploring the possibility of committing fraud.

You reap what you sow.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
If you posted: "I'm thinking about purchasing a service but I have doubts about whether or not I'll receive the service. If I use my credit card, how does a charge back work? If I don't receive the service, can I get my money back?"

You'd probably get very little suspicion.

Instead, you posted:

Which makes it seem like you're exploring the possibility of committing fraud.

You reap what you sow.
Nah, I just think people are quick to judge. No where in the examples in my OP state the the claim is false.

Then, you get people like inv4zn, who tries to bring up some irrelevant shit like social justice warrior.

These people are hungry and on the hunt for opportunities to boost their internet ego. Then, you wonder why there are so many people visiting RS, but all the forums are dead.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
can I call in and claim I didn't get the service, and get my money back?
you're totally right, we all just read that wrong. How could have anyone possibly misinterpret that as if you're up to no good?

Our bads!

Please forgive, okay?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
you're totally right, we all just read that wrong. How could have anyone possibly misinterpret that as if you're up to no good?

Our bads!

Please forgive, okay?
You're still going? You came and posted with nothing to share. Like, why is it not possible for you to just read and move on if you have nothing relevant to share? What are you trying to accomplish anyways? How much of the ego boost do you need?
Old 07-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
linguistic ninja