REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Eduate me on Spain

Hey guys,

I'm doing a 2 week backpacking trip to spain. Going to be visiting Madrid, San Sebastian, Barcelona, Valencia, Granada, and Malaga.

Any tips/advice in general? Accommodations, transportation (mainly through bus), restaurants

How about attractions to visit?

Any fun outdoor activities to do aside from visiting buildings? ie. hiking, water sports, etc.
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I did a post a while back 2 yrs ago
1) don't bring anything over 50 euros, it's hard to break them
2) Places CLOSE on Sundays esp in Valencia or small towns. NOTHING is open.
3) Valencia: rent a bike. My favorite place to go was just biking around.
4) Valencia oranges are the BEST i've ever tasted. Makes sunkits taste like shit. Also Paella was from Valencia.
5) Barcelona: Gaudi and all the other places, make a reservation.
6) Barcelona = everywhere is tapas. Some places has free food as long as you drink, do ur research.
7) If you're going to try spanish ham, NOTHING is better than 5J. 5J is top of the line spanish ham.
8) oh, they do take naps from 2-5 PM, dinner starts at 9 and finishes around 11pm.

that's all i can think of now.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Thanks man!

any particular places you recommend renting a bike from? is it cheap? also, are these motor bikes we're talking about or just a bicycle?

anything you recommend in granada? struggling to find things to do aside from looking at buildings

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
7) If you're going to try spanish ham, NOTHING is better than 5J. 5J is top of the line spanish ham.
+1 5J jamon for 20 euros so worth it.

Seriously be careful of pick-pocketers like placing them on tables or putting it in your back pockets. Both of my cousins lost their phones by placing them on a table or in their pockets for a second thinking they were okay because there weren't much people around.

Stay away from those patio tapas places on the main streets of Barcelona. If your paella comes out before 20 min, it was probably frozen.

Guelle park (?) That Gaudi park is free if you go an hour before opening time ( I think it was 7am)

Public transportation was good and ran 24/7 on weekends at Barcelona so I don't think bikes are necessary

Oh and don't buy/drink beer people at that fountain show in Barcelona. Fine is hella hefty.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post

any particular places you recommend renting a bike from? is it cheap? also, are these motor bikes we're talking about or just a bicycle?
Valencia is a very small town, u will for sure find bicycle rentals anywhere and rent it for a whole day. You can lock it anywhere; super safe place. My X and I rented it for 1 day, rode till 3 PM, locked it up, napped, rode again and returned it.

1st night u get there, you'll walk around town and I'm sure you'll find some bike places.

OH, I'm assuming you're training from Barcelona, go to local grocery store. Stock up and then u can eat like kings. I had Cava, spanish ham, oysters, cheese and crackers and had a full blown picnic in the train while everyone only had overpriced sandwiches.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #6

OH, if u get a chance, Camp Nou is epic (soccer game); my x and I aren't soccer fans and it was mind blowing.
It seats 110,000 people and soccer games starts at 9 PM at night... like wtf... ahahahaha yes cause it'll be too hot to place soccer during the day.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,818 Times in 3,901 Posts
of maybe a dozen places i did on a recent trip in europe...BCN felt quite underwhelming and chaotic for a city that everyone I meet raves about

park guell is a gong show...felt like disneyland with reservations yet the crowd was still a clusterfuck even on a rainy tuesday morning 9am

sunset at montjuic was disappointing...the development of the city's grid system makes the city view from a vantage point uninspiring and shows its pre-olympic industrial roots

the main beach is man-made

getting around on a bike was great though
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,228 Posts
I don't know where you went or what you was smoking at the time 6793026 that gave you the idea that Valencia a "small town" when in fact it's the 3rd largest city in Spain with over a million people and a metro system, etc. Maybe small compared to HK/China cities but the OP is from Vancouver.

Madrid: Go to all the Plazas - sit eat tapas and drink drink drink, nightlife - people are out to "6 in da mornin'" as a matter of principle. If you're into art you must see these: Prado Museum (free after 6 I believe), Sofia Reina, Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum (Guernica painting). Paddle along in Buen Retiro Park. Day trips to Segovia (massive Roman Aqueduct) and Toledo (Holy Toledo!)

San Sebastian - Haven't been personally but it's a famous for Basque Tapas (Pintxos) - which are served on little pieces of bread. The beach is supposed to be nice too.

Barcelona - Gaudi stuff - Sagrada Familia, Parq Guell, Casa Mila, Casa Batillo. Go to Barcelonetta Beach, Las Ramblas (WATCH FOR PICKPOCKETS EVERYWHERE THO)

Valencia - City of Arts and Sciences (don't have to visit each one, but the mod architecture is amazing), Cathedral, Town Hall, the beach is also very nice there too. EAT PALLEA VALENCIANA here as it's the home of it. Overall smaller and less hectic than Barcelona and Madrid, but it's still a City with all the amenities you would expect.

Granada - It's all about the Alhambra here. Book an advanced ticket and go visit early in the morning. There's also a very nice riverside stroll and it's the home of Flamenco/Roma culture. Tapas Bars/Restaurants there also have a tradition here where they give you one free Tapas if you order a drink.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 07-31-2017 at 09:18 AM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote