REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
AC repair technician

I'm not sure what's wrong with my Fit's AC but it no longer blows cold like it used to. It was blowing warm air last week, and I ended up opening the windows cause it was colder than the AC.

Does anyone know of a shop that does air conditioner repairs? How much should I be expecting to pay to get the entire system purged, recharged with refrigerant and leaks sealed?

Thanks
Advertisement
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,486 Times in 551 Posts
Try using a DIY kit.

8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
in the butt

Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,171 Posts
theres shops everywhere that will charge your car for 70$ with dye.

DIY for 40$ as the above post.

If theres a leak or the compressor is dead, your wallet is in for a treat.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Have you checked if the AC clutch is engaging? Could be something as simple as the relay.
Turn on your AC, if the AC pulley isn't turning, then the problem isn't with your refrigerant.

My CRV's AC died on a road trip. My pulley wasn't turning and it was the AC clutch coil. Cost me $700 to get it replaced at the stealership. The AC died about 6 months later, same symptoms, but it was the relay this time, ~$35 for parts.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Have you checked if the AC clutch is engaging? Could be something as simple as the relay.
Turn on your AC, if the AC pulley isn't turning, then the problem isn't with your refrigerant.

My CRV's AC died on a road trip. My pulley wasn't turning and it was the AC clutch coil. Cost me $700 to get it replaced at the stealership. The AC died about 6 months later, same symptoms, but it was the relay this time, ~$35 for parts.
Sorry this is wrong. The ac "pulley" turns with the belt any time the engine is running. The compressor clutch is what needs to engage to compress the refrigerant. If your refrigerant is low or too high it will trigger the low pressure switch and not allow the compressor to engage.
Check your charge first. If the charge is correct and the compressor isn't engaging them check the voltage going to it. If you have have power and ground when the a/c switch is engaged then your compressor magnetic clutch isn't working. Good luck!
sir rotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,534 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir rotary View Post
Sorry this is wrong. The ac "pulley" turns with the belt any time the engine is running. The compressor clutch is what needs to engage to compress the refrigerant. If your refrigerant is low or too high it will trigger the low pressure switch and not allow the compressor to engage.
Check your charge first. If the charge is correct and the compressor isn't engaging them check the voltage going to it. If you have have power and ground when the a/c switch is engaged then your compressor magnetic clutch isn't working. Good luck!
This is correct info!

If the pressure is too high, most cars have a high side relief valve that blows out the excess.

If the AC clutch is engaging but it isn't blowing cold, it might just need a recharge.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Hi, I'm aware of the DIY solutions but I'd need to buy the R143a refrigerant in the States because it's regulated here in Canada.

I was looking for a shop that hopefully other members have gone to the past that they'd recommend as I'm not mechanically inclined to mess around with my car.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Hi, I'm aware of the DIY solutions but I'd need to buy the R143a refrigerant in the States because it's regulated here in Canada.

I was looking for a shop that hopefully other members have gone to the past that they'd recommend as I'm not mechanically inclined to mess around with my car.
You can buy a recharge kit from Canadian Tire.
RED TEK A/C Refrigerant Recharge Kit | Canadian Tire

Anyway, Speedy Syndicate in Burnaby can do AC recharge & repair
Old 08-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

My A.C. is busted. I refilled it and I can hear hissing noises inside the dash. So is it leaking inside.?
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
My A.C. is busted. I refilled it and I can hear hissing noises inside the dash. So is it leaking inside.?
you better hope not that stuff is like cancer in a can, seriously.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
The diy kit is basically propane

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
you better hope not that stuff is like cancer in a can, seriously.
Oh my. I took it to a shop to fill. Lasted a day then blew warm air again. Thus was last year. Didn't bother to fix it
Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
The diy kit is basically propane
I heard this was the case with Canadian sold kits. Apparently the USA kits as per the chrisfix video has the proper stuff as it's not as regulated? I'm gonna head down to grab one to see if it'll fix my weak AC issue.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
Oh my. I took it to a shop to fill. Lasted a day then blew warm air again. Thus was last year. Didn't bother to fix it
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought shops aren't allowed to fill r134a if they knew there's a leak?

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #15

Oh. They didn't know about the leak. I didn't either until after the day i got it refilled. The A.C. was blowing warm and I heard a hissing noise behind my double din
They said they have to get inside the dash and go from there. I said efff it. Sounds expensive No A.C. for 2 years now. =(
Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 AM   #16
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

real r134a, not some other replacement type
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
took the wifeys elantra to GRIP auto by ikea in coquitlam, guy seemed honest and gave me the run down on the repairs, she just needed a recharge and there were no holes etc. cost under $100 if i remember correctly and it still works to this day (was probably 3 years ago at least now) guy didnt try any upsell or further service, just fixed AC and i was on my way
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
I don't get it

Heard those aftermarket recharge DIY kits use chemicals that are known to cause fires in car accidents. Not the same stuff as the shops use.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Redtek, duracool, ect that is sold in canada is propane based, which is why the can are labeled extremely flamable. You can go and buy R134a at lordco like I did, but the 20lbs can costs like $250 plus deposit and unlikely any car needs more than 2.5lbs. You will also need the pressure charging manifold and scale. On the other hand, you can go down to pep boys or napa like I did in sumas and buy 2 cans of 340g plus a can of compressor oil that puts it at about the proper charge level that my VW beetle calls for. They also have the bigger cans as well and the charging hose there. I Just bought it and declared it at the border and went home to fill it in my car. Worked well until I drove into a steel post and cracked the hard line behind the bumper cover a few months back....
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The link on the second post looks like true R134A. The aftermarket kits sold in canada are interchangeable with most a/c systems in cars but the R134A must be removed first and then the new refrigerant can be used. The refrigerants are interchangeable but cannot be mixed.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Fit takes charge of 420g max. When charging an A/c system you want to put back in exact amount of oil that came out when evacuating any refrigerant. Highly doubt these DIY cans are capable of doing that; most likely just some random amount.
My guess is you most likely are just low on charge. Slight chance relay is dead. Relay can be found behind left headlight if I'm correct assuming you have a first gen Fit.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #22
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
as others have mentioned, make sure you're using true r134a, and fully evacuating the existing freon prior to recharging. AC is nothing to be messing around with if you're not too familiar with it aswell - it's inexpensive to get done professionally. speed syndicate does it if you need a place
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote