REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
I don't get it either

Aftermarket parking radar or camera?

My mother keep on backing up into things in her grand caravan. She said it's because of her vision she have difficulties judging distance. She want to install a backup radar or camera to help with her parking. She said she went to her dealer and they wanted $1700, I thought that price sound kind of high. She also hit the passenger side door before from turning in too early. Are there 360 degree parking sensor available aftermarket like the newer cars?

I moved away so I can only do some research and send her to a reputable shop to do the work. Any recommendations? She's in Richmond.
Advertisement
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
she needs to look for a backup camera system or backup parking sensor

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I have a poor driving mom and all the technology in the world can't save her. She has a backup camera and still hit something. That said, I would look at a camera as a radar will just beep all the friggin time in Vancouver where you have to park somewhat close to stuff a lot.

Check these guys out: https://www.nmotionauto.com/category/parking-assist/
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Soundsgood, an rs sponsor, should be able to get her set up.
Driver Safety Solutions| Vancouver | Coquitlam | Burnaby

If she is visually impaired, I'd suggest she doesn't get a camera because some cameras can be difficult to see with poor lighting and when water from rain or condensation gets on the camera, it'll be pretty useless for her. If she isn't hard of hearing, then radar with audible beeps would be a good option...... Or just get a self parking car lol
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Get her a bus pass. Or a Smart Car.

My work truck has a big dent in the front bumper thanks to some clown like this. It's really pretty disappointing to come out to your car and see someone has backed into it while trying to parallel park.

I know it seems harsh to say, but as our family members age, we should start looking at safer options to get them out and about. If she can't judge distance while parking, how does she change lanes, or approach busy intersections. If family members don't take care of this the road is just going to be filled with these drivers, cause god knows our government doesn't take drivers licenses away, they can't even be bothered to test you again after 50 years of having your license.

I'm not saying your mom deserves to lose her license, but atleast go have her give an eye exam, maybe she just needs glasses? or to wear her glasses while driving? and if it isn't an eye sight thing, then maybe she shouldn't be on the road.

The whole DL system here really needs to be revamped, it was fine for when people died when they were like 50 or 60, but now people live forever, and for the most part they keep driving until the day they die. It's ridiculous.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

My work truck has a big dent in the front bumper thanks to some clown like this It's really pretty disappointing to come out to your car and see someone has backed into it while trying to parallel park.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
End of the day, it will come down to driver skill. There are people with advanced parking tech cars and still can't park.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Get her to buy 3$ fisheye 3" mirrors from canadian tire and slap them onto the mirrors.
Then tell her to go to RPM Electronics or Soundsgood to install sensors.
1700$...... more like 500$ max at the above two
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

My work truck has a big dent in the front bumper thanks to some clown like this. It's really pretty disappointing to come out to your car and see someone has backed into it while trying to parallel park.

I know it seems harsh to say, but as our family members age, we should start looking at safer options to get them out and about. If she can't judge distance while parking, how does she change lanes, or approach busy intersections. If family members don't take care of this the road is just going to be filled with these drivers, cause god knows our government doesn't take drivers licenses away, they can't even be bothered to test you again after 50 years of having your license.

I'm not saying your mom deserves to lose her license, but atleast go have her give an eye exam, maybe she just needs glasses? or to wear her glasses while driving? and if it isn't an eye sight thing, then maybe she shouldn't be on the road.

The whole DL system here really needs to be revamped, it was fine for when people died when they were like 50 or 60, but now people live forever, and for the most part they keep driving until the day they die. It's ridiculous.
As sad as it is, this.

I had a back up camera in my old Raptor and the only thing I used it for was to get super close to stuff if I needed it, or when hooking up a trailer.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
No offense, but your mom shouldn't be driving if she can't do simple tasks like this. And it's not helping that she has to maneuver something as big as a minivan.

Everyone talks about shitty drivers especially in this thread:
https://www.revscene.net/forums/6547...rs-thread.html

It's quite different if a family member or someone you know personally end up being the culprit in one of these dashcam videos.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote