REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Trudeau government fearful a massive refugee surge could hurt 2019 re-election campai (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713193-trudeau-government-fearful-massive-refugee-surge-could-hurt-2019-re-election-campai.html)

zyzzjr 08-24-2017 02:47 PM

Trudeau government fearful a massive refugee surge could hurt 2019 re-election campai

:troll:

Great68 08-24-2017 03:01 PM

In my opinion, true refugees with good reason shouldn't be turned away.

Those who are just crossing illegally because their green cards in the US ran out shouldn't be allowed

If anyone blames the Liberals for being too soft, you can always look back at 2010 when that ship load of Tamil migrants came in. The Conservatives never sent them back either.

underscore 08-24-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8858078)
In my opinion, true refugees with good reason shouldn't be turned away.

Those who are just crossing illegally because their green cards in the US ran out shouldn't be allowed

Agreed. I imagine it doesn't sit well with those who went through the proper process to legally enter the country either, from my understanding it takes a fair bit of time and effort to do so.

320icar 08-24-2017 04:14 PM

its difficult. genuine refugees should be accepted... but hard to maybe weed out those who are just cheating the system and coming over. i have a lot of british family who have struggled over the years to finally come to canada and be citizens etc etc, its frustrating to see people just jump the ditch and get handed housing and welfare...

Harvey Specter 08-24-2017 04:39 PM

It's simple, enter illegally = get deported. I'm sick and tired of people breaking our laws and getting a slap on the wrist while others have to wait for years to get a chance to become a citizen.

JT and the Liberals better get their act together because the sentiment against immigrants and open borders has changed ever since Trump got in office. People are fed up with the gov't and hot button issues like immigration further fuel their anger.

vitaminG 08-24-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8858078)
If anyone blames the Liberals for being too soft, you can always look back at 2010 when that ship load of Tamil migrants came in. The Conservatives never sent them back either.

Apples to oranges, the ones coming from the states are coming from a safe country and are not eligible to be refugees. The Tamils were actually somewhat legit refugees, and despite that they were still detained unlike most refugees.

Great68 08-24-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8858105)
Apples to oranges, the ones coming from the states are coming from a safe country and are not eligible to be refugees. The Tamils were actually somewhat legit refugees, and despite that they were still detained unlike most refugees.

Well, no it's really apples to apples.

The article says that these people have Temporary Protected Status in the US that's expiring. You don't get TPS unless you're a refugee of some sort.

From US Immigration site:

"What is TPS

The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for TPS due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country's nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately. USCIS may grant TPS to eligible nationals of certain countries (or parts of countries), who are already in the United States. Eligible individuals without nationality who last resided in the designated country may also be granted TPS.

The Secretary may designate a country for TPS due to the following temporary conditions in the country:

Ongoing armed conflict (such as civil war)
An environmental disaster (such as earthquake or hurricane), or an epidemic
Other extraordinary and temporary conditions"

Hondaracer 08-24-2017 08:00 PM

Haitians are good hard working people though, really doing well in their own country after that earthquake 10 years ago.

zyzzjr 08-24-2017 08:58 PM

:troll: