REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Wow.... honestly that's just not a maneuver I would expect the MB driver to pull off... Can't even imagine their reasoning for that move.

Claim injuries, you're not really screwing the MB driver as that's what insurance is for. As previous posters have also said, soft tissue damage can surface long after the fact. I was hit by a car as a pedestrian when I was 15 and my knee problems didn't surface until like 8 months after.
Advertisement
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #27
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
There are a lot of people telling you to speak to a lawyer, but does anyone actually have any real life experience dealing with an injury claims lawyer?

There's so many of them out there nowadays that I imagine it'd be hard for OP to decide.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Defensive driving! That Mercedes is freaking retarded, but god damn was it obvious that he was going to make that turn... front end lifting, wheels turned... dude, don't ever get a motorcycle license... I'd be dead 10 times over by now if I hadn't already braked/stopped for moron drivers turning left in front of me like this when on my bike.
Yup he was accelerating into the intersection as well

OP is driving like either he's the only car on the road, or assumes everyone around him follows the rules absolutely perfectly. This was bound to happen eventually. Definitely don't ride a motorcycle
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
rewatched it a couple of times and can say its 100% the mercedes fault. Even though it does look like you speeded up a little bit.

and not claiming injuries is lighting money on fire, you will get money lol. I was involved in two accidents in like three years. One of them getting my car written off.

You will notice injuries. On my first incident which was a small rear end bump, I felt the injuries a couple days later

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
A lady ran a red light and hit my car. Low speed impact, but my neck still hurts six months later.

You need to talk to a lawyer.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
thanks everyone, lawyer booked

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

From watching the video over and over..you did have some time to really slam the brakes on. I heard no screeching of tires on your part to show that you attempted to avoid the accident. Thats the only thing that ICBC might say to you
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #33
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
From watching the video over and over..you did have some time to really slam the brakes on. I heard no screeching of tires on your part to show that you attempted to avoid the accident. Thats the only thing that ICBC might say to you
I also agree , But I also noticed it seemed like he also kinda turned towards the passenger door. Where as had he stayed in the left lane and slowed a little it could have been avoided from what I can see. Might even be a 50/50 because he changed lanes in the intersection.
And we wonder why ICBC is raising rates.

Anyway
Good luck.
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #34
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I was in an accident last year. Impact was only at 20 km/hr. I thought I was fine after the accident, but within 24 hours my neck tightened up. Took 5 months of massage and then physio to finally be good enough to fully resume sports and gym.

Wait a 48 to 72 hours and then see a doctor. If anything, they need to record it in your file..
so true. my neck siezed recently and it kept having spasms sporadically but prominently under stress.

Chiro, Physio, and RMT for 6 months it's about 90% good and not noticeable but I think another 6 months to fully get back to normalness. The last 10% of recovery is stubborn.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #35
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
I also agree , But I also noticed it seemed like he also kinda turned towards the passenger door. Where as had he stayed in the left lane and slowed a little it could have been avoided from what I can see. Might even be a 50/50 because he changed lanes in the intersection.

Anyway
Good luck.
I think 50/50 seems a little harsh. I think you could argue the lane change was to avoid. I'm sure OP has watched this a million times and is wondering why he/she didn't do all sorts of things. It's always much clearer when you've seen the replay.

ICBC rates are going up for a bunch of reasons, one of which is that everyone is suing everyone else. It's half ICBC's fault for being such dicks in recent years. Now you have to take them to court since they don't seem to want to pay a fair amount.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #36
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Yup, passed by that intersection on Thursday, what a mess... I'm guessing it all was over in a flash and both drivers were just shocked at the situation. I would've been too if I was mindlessly driving going through on a green and the other car suddenly turned left. It's not like we are observant of every single minute detail per every single second that passes while we're driving...
hwangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #37
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
So sorry Jacky(Ray too if you're reading this), you really loved that car.

To answer your question on depreciation; I had a $10,000 claim in one accident on my VW GTI. I wasn't at fault and I was concerned I would be at a loss due to the accident if I were to sell. This is called accelerated depreciation.

Industry standards on depreciation IIRC is 50% of the repair costs. In one accident alone, my car with a $10,000 claim would have accelerated depreciation of $5000 compared to similar vehicles of the same year, model, and mileage. For example, $25,000 for an accident free car, mine would be $20,000.

You would need to find a vehicle appraiser to determine the value of your car and how much this repair would affect your plans in the future to sell. However, this is only worth pursuing if the car was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in value. You would also have to actually sell the car so that this loss is actually realized, in order to prove the loss.

Seeing the airbag being deployed and the damage in the photo, I'm 90% certain the vehicle will be written off and the value will be assessed from before this accident.

Speedy recovery Jacky!
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #38
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post

Anyway
Good luck.
1) It's not illegal to change lanes in an intersection

2) ICBC rate hikes are because of bad management, increasing injury claims, and higher repair costs on more expensive parts and repairs on all the bells and whistles new cars have nowadays.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #39
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
1) It's not illegal to change lanes in an intersection
is this true?

i thought it's the same as crossing over a solid line...technically not allowed but no one really enforces it
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #40
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
it is true

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
is this true?
Wow, I couldn't believe this is true. I had to go and looked it up.
Apparently, it is perfectly legal to change lanes in the middle of the intersection.
Calgary Traffic Ticket Tips Scroll down to: Traffic Ticket Tip: Intersection Lane Changes

When learning to drive 16 years ago, I was taught to never change lanes in the middle of the intersection...
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #42
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Legal or not, that is a really stupid thing to do!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Apparently, it is perfectly legal to change lanes in the middle of the intersection.
Calgary Traffic Ticket Tips Scroll down to: Traffic Ticket Tip: Intersection Lane Changes

When learning to drive 16 years ago, I was taught to never change lanes in the middle of the intersection...
lol, here is the BC rules, although it's the same as Calgary.
Changing Lanes in Intersections | DriveSmartBC

I feel there's no rule in place due to T intersections or the small pedestrian ones where it doesn't seem to make as big of a difference. But they definitely should have a rule for big intersection...

This is why when I make right turns from inside streets, I try to make sure it's completely clear in every lane. Just in case of a lane changer.
But based on this new info, seems like maybe I should also wait until it's fully clear on big intersections too, since they can legally change lanes through the intersection...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Curious how much would it cost for a lawyer just to write a strongly suggested email/letter?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #45
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
lol, here is the BC rules, although it's the same as Calgary.
Changing Lanes in Intersections | DriveSmartBC

I feel there's no rule in place due to T intersections or the small pedestrian ones where it doesn't seem to make as big of a difference. But they definitely should have a rule for big intersection...

This is why when I make right turns from inside streets, I try to make sure it's completely clear in every lane. Just in case of a lane changer.
But based on this new info, seems like maybe I should also wait until it's fully clear on big intersections too, since they can legally change lanes through the intersection...
i was always taught to have at least 2 lanes clear (if there's >2 lanes of course) when you're making a right. just seems safer. then you get all these idiots making rights when oncoming traffic has a left turn signal into 2 lanes and it's just super sketchy.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Curious how much would it cost for a lawyer just to write a strongly suggested email/letter?
I don't think there are many lawyers (if any) that would simply write a letter in an effort to fight liability in an ICBC claim based on a flat-fee or retainer. Generally speaking, even fighting liability is a series of telephone and email negotiations and in order for a lawyer to do this, he would have to compile all the evidence available to him from the driver, ICBC and the third party.

When a lawyer helps a client fight a case to obtain a monetary value, it's usually contingent upon receiving a percentage of the money won. If a lawyer helps a client get $20,000 for a vehicle write-off, that lawyer would want a cut from that money he fought to get for the client.

As for speaking to a lawyer, I have reached out to OP and helped him understand the process of his claim, things he should do to ensure he gets better physically and how to protect himself from skipping out on treatments. Everyone should know that whether or not you are at fault for the accident, you are entitled to have medical treatments covered for injuries that have been sustained as a result of an accident. I believe most people are not aware of this and many lawyers will neglect to tell their clients.

I have gotten into the field of fighting liability as well as helping clients get fair compensation for vehicles that are written off. The power of a lawyer on a file with ICBC goes a long way, believe it or not.

I am happy to help answer any general questions for any members on RevScene that have had the unfortunate luck of getting into an MVA. The number one goal is to ensure you seek medical attention and have your medical providers assess your injuries so you can make a quick progression back to health. As mentioned earlier, your injuries won't usually become apparent until a few days after the accident and maybe even a few weeks. Lastly, as I mentioned to OP, an ICBC personal injury claim isn't a "pay-day." It's to simply make you whole again. When I work with my clients, I ensure we both have the same expectations and that is just compensation. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #47
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post

I also thought it was illegal, I read somewhere it was but I guess I'm wrong. My dad taught me never to do it either...
hwangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #48
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
What's worse than people changing lanes in the middle of an intersection is people signalling right and then blow through an intersection.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #49
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
My road test guy said to me after I asked if it was legal to switch lanes in an intersection way back in the day

"Just because its legal, doesn't mean its safe." Applies to many things in life.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #50
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
What's worse than people changing lanes in the middle of an intersection is people signalling right and then blow through an intersection.
they could be just pulling into a driveway immediately after the intersection

always assume signals are used only for courtesy to communicate intent...it doesn't actually seem to matter when ICBC looks at cases.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: