REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 09-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Do something about stuck ignition rotor screw, or buy aftermarket dizzy?

When I took off the distributor, I saw that the screw was already somewhat stripped. When I tried to unscrew it, I found that it also is incredibly stuck in there, and I contributed to stripping it further.

I tried using 40 or so seconds of freeze-off, and letting that sit a few minutes. And I also put a rubber band over the tip of the screwdriver as I tried to move it after putting the freeze-off on it. And I pushed the distributor into the screwdriver from the other side while I tried to unscrew it. I tried several times using a ton of strength to push the screwdriver in while pushing the dizzy against the screwdriver, and it still would not budge, and the screwdriver eventually just turned in the hole, adding to the stripping.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how I could get that screw out of there without destroying the other parts of the dizzy (aside from maybe the rotor). Or, should I take it to a shop and ask them to get it off, or, should I just buy a new distributor?

I found this seemingly great deal on an all-new-parts aftermarket dizzy from AM Autoparts on eBay.

Ignition Distributor Cap & Rotor for Del Sol Civic 1.6L DOHC VTEC NEW | eBay

I looked up reviews for that store, and they have a bunch of bad ratings, but almost all of them have to do with communication and shipping issues, and not so much product quality. It also has a 10 year warranty, and the eBay store has been around for 13 years so far.

Quote:
Specifications:

Brand new components, not rebuilt
9 pin square connector
Complete unit including ignition module, cap, and rotor
Improved steel bearings for better longevity
Better heat resistant ignition module
100% tested
No core charge
All components are marked and verified as NEW.

10 Year Warranty

Think it'd be a good buy?

Here's a pic of the stuck screw in my original dizzy.

Advertisement
Delicieuxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Try finding the seller "distributor king". I purchased several Honda dizzys without issue from him.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
You could also try using an impact driver to get the screw out, I've done that successfully in the same position you're in.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

You could use a hacksaw or dremel to cut a notch into it and use flathead screwdriver. If that doesn't work, only way might be to drill and re tap the hole.
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,597 Times in 4,323 Posts
Use a Phillips socket or an impact driver

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

try to get a small vice grip in there and turn.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I ended up getting it out by reattaching the dizzy to the car, using a phillips socket, and pressing down on the ratchet head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
Try finding the seller "distributor king". I purchased several Honda dizzys without issue from him.
From reports I read online, Distributor King went out of business years ago. One post said they had quality issues with their manufacturer in China and couldn't sell their distributors at the prices they wanted to.

I'll have rebuilt most of this dizzy once a couple more parts come in the mail. The only original parts in it will be the sensors and the rotor shaft. I read the bearings on the shaft can be replaced, if the spec can be bought, so that's something I might do further down the line.

I think that the bearing specs are 6001 / 12.46 PX1, and the part # might be 6001-2ZJ, though I'm not 100% certain of that. According to this post, it sounds like the person found a The 6001-2ZJ bearing in their B16 dizzy. The 6001-2ZJ bearing has a 12mm bore-hole, while the 6001 / 12.46 spec indicates a bore-hole of 12.46mm.

Here's a place in Canada that sells that bearing for $10: https://www.bearingscanada.com/6001-...ty-12x28x8.htm

Here's are a couple of guides showing how to replace the shaft bearings:
e-hatch.com // View topic - How-to: Dizzy Rebuild
https://sites.google.com/site/hondal...ributorbearing

Without doing the bearing, it'll have cost me around $130 to replace the other parts. The aftermarket fully dizzy costs $72.something USD after shipping and import fees, so around $87.50 CND. Not sure fixing this one up was the best call, since that aftermarket one has a 10-year warranty. 10 years seems pretty ballsy for a $55 dizzy. None - 3 years is more the normal in the price range, though this $60 one also offers a 10-year warranty.

Here's a more expensive one that brags about its quality:

1999 2000 Honda Civic Acura EL 1.6 TD63U Brand NEW Distributor

Quote:
Notice how the others only offer a 90 day or 6 month warranty? And why you don't see allot of bad feedbacks? More than likely they'll last 90 days long enough for the eBay transaction to be gone, and long after feedbacks has been left. Don't be that person broken down on the side of the road wondering why you bought the CHEAPEST, and not the BEST.

Our proprietary electronics make our New Distributors not only uniquely superior to OEM specifications, but superior to any other product line on the market today.

The ignition modules installed are designed to exceed OEM specifications. Most OEM ignition modules will fail at temperatures above 260°, while ours have been developed to be certified to 302° F, this greatly reduces igniter failure. All of our ignition modules are made in North America.

Another cause of premature failure of remanufactured, or cheaper distributors is the quality of bearing used inside. We use only quality Japanese steel bearings in our distributors.

Our distributors are assembled in an ISO9001, ISO14001 & QS9000 certified factory and put through series of quality control tests before being carefully packaged.
I notice that they don't mention what they consider the "lifetime" of their unit to be in the auction listing, so I sent them a message because I'm interested to know.

Last edited by Delicieuxz; 09-11-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Delicieuxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

If you change the cap and rotor and it works fine, money saved.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 AM   #9
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
Next time, since you got the screw out eventually, might try this..........

Neji = screw.

Saurus = well........you know.

I believe, all made by the same manufacturer. I have a full set of these (both Neji-saurus and Vampliers) and let me tell you, amazing.

I was going to say, I should post in this thread, but it's already there.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/7094...ls-thread.html
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 09-16-2017 at 05:00 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Thanked 1,635 Times in 561 Posts
I never bother trying to fix distributors anymore. (American) Amazon is the place to go for replacement autoparts and there are many suppliers with "good enough" reputation to last you 75-100k (for a 100 dollar fix, it's okay)

The time alone you spend fixing it is worth more plus other problems can arise and you might have to take everything apart again even if you do it perfectly.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

Maybe I'm a dying breed but I prefer to repair before replacing parts, unless it's cost prohibitive.

It literally takes less than 15 minutes to take the cap, rotor, dust cover off and test the ignitor and ICM.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Next time, since you got the screw out eventually, might try this..........

Neji = screw.

Saurus = well........you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtyXTG-PX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCXNwfbLl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiJu3DZvaY

I believe, all made by the same manufacturer. I have a full set of these (both Neji-saurus and Vampliers) and let me tell you, amazing.

I was going to say, I should post in this thread, but it's already there.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/7094...ls-thread.html
Since we are talking about using the tools for the job, the original owner should have used a JIS screwdriver for that JIS screw, not a regular Phillips head. JIS will take a lot more torque before camming out...

like this

cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: