REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Traffic Tickets with no Points

I always thought points were given by ICBC then I came across an article that said you could receive a ticket from an officer and not have any points on your record if convicted as a "registered owner". Is this actually true?

https://www.straight.com/news/411061...ffic-ticket-bc
Advertisement
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I didn't read the article but I did receive a speeding ticket with no points in Delta probably 20 years ago? That was the cops version of cutting me a break. I can't remember the logistics or how he wrote it up, was so long ago.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
yup it's true

my last ticket 2ish years ago, the officer was nice enough to cut me some slack and charged me as the registered owner, didn't get any points
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I didn't read the article but I did receive a speeding ticket with no points in Delta probably 20 years ago? That was the cops version of cutting me a break. I can't remember the logistics or how he wrote it up, was so long ago.
Basically, he writes the ticket to the registered owner as opposed to the driver so you don't get points. Tickets to registered owners are usually ones like photo radar (back when they used it) and red light cameras where the police cannot identify who was actually driving the vehicle at the time of the offense.

When they give you a ticket like that in person, they are cutting you a break basically.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

So on my latest ticket, under the registered owner box the officer wrote "as above," does that mean I won't be getting points? Or do they need to specify my full name or something?
chinese_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Unfortunately, I don't know. Usually though if they do it that way, they will tell you that they are doing that for you though. Not sure if he's just indicating the registered owner happened to be the same person as the one operating the vehicle or if his intention was to ticket you because you are the registered owner. You'd have to probably check with ICBC or something to find out if you have any points against your license.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_driver View Post
So on my latest ticket, under the registered owner box the officer wrote "as above," does that mean I won't be getting points? Or do they need to specify my full name or something?
What that means, is that the information for the Registered Owner is the same as the driver.

If the ticketed offence carries points, and the ticket is made out to the driver (box is between the offence date/location and the driver information, along with boxes for passenger, pedestrian, registered owner, whatever else), the points will be applied upon conviction.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
There should be a box to check on the ticket that says "registered owner". If that is checked off there will be no points, just the fine.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I actually got a ticket for rushing through a left turn signal that turned red as I got there. My impatience...

Anyways, a red light camera ticket will have a fine, but no points.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote