REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #26
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
Never been to one, never will. Couldnt give a damn about any big box store.
Motto for hipsters worldwide
Advertisement

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
haven't set foot in one in years. And even back in the early 2000s it started to feel dated like Zellers did.

but growing up in asia, McDonalds and TRU is the first American brick & mortars I can remember and I associated it with walking in and being able to grab toys as gifts from family

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
Never been to one, never will. Couldnt give a damn about any big box store.
started noticing a trend with this poster
got bored and looked through his other posts...pretty much just replies like this adding absolutely no value to the discussion
wasting bandwidth...save the RS hamsters okay
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #28
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
anyone seen these at a toysrus please let me know which location!

Vansterdam is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #29
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I was looking to buy several large items for my kid (baby seats, strollers, play pens, etc) Same price on TRU and Amazon, but Amazon offered shipping while TRU wanted $40 for shipping. FTS!
A lot of stuff you can pick up from their store for free. In general, they are a tad more expensive though.

As far as a regular consumer is concerned, do you guys think there will be any changes / negative impacts? Say you are someone that buys stuff from them at least once a year. Since they are only going through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, they're still gonna be around afterwards.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I always thought the prices at Toys R Us were always a bit higher than compared to other stores like WalMart or even Superstore. Of course Toys R Us has a better and bigger selection but for the same product, the other stores would sell it for less.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Since they are only going through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, they're still gonna be around afterwards.
from what i've read, things have not gone well for them since going private.

it's safe to assume they're in no better position than Sears...if you have gift cards/services or exclusive stuff there use it/buy it now as they could still fold months from now
Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Retail sector is going down the trash because they lack innovation, not because people aren't spending.

For crying out loud, they have operated in the exact same way than hundreds of years ago if not thousands.

It was viable when internet wasn't around and transfer of information was slow if not downright impossible.

But with LTE and Wi-Fi everywhere, plus all the sites that provide abundant of information for free, sales people were the first to go as you can see the case of Future Shop, Wal Mart... etc. Wally basically only has staff to fill the shelves and ran on a minimum HR model.

TRU is not the first and neither it's going to be the last. Physical retail as we know it is going to change. Either they innovate the shit out of it, or they die.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Rent is expensive. A website is not.
Toys R us didn't adapt, just like best buy isn't.
I loved TRU when I was la kid though. My grandparents would get me to count and bag up all the bottles and cans when I was little. We'd take the bottles back and my grandpa would split the bottle refund with me and take me to toys r us for helping. I'd usually spend the 3 or 4 bucks on a G.I. Joe. It's a great time, and I think was a huge part in learning about the value of money. Definitely very fond memories.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
anyone seen these at a toysrus please let me know which location!

This probably doesn't even help but I went to TRU Metrotown 2 night ago to clear out my store credits and noticed these there. They only had 1 Ken left and the box was damaged otherwise I would have bought it.

Aside from that you can buy online through their site. Those 2 in particular are on sale now for $11.98 down from $14.99

http://www.toysrus.ca/search/index.j...&x=-971&y=-170

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Haven't been to a TRU store in years. Back in the day it used to be the go to toy store but as others mentioned, the store now feels dated and the access to information makes their prices seem high in comparison and their staff obsolete.

We had a gift card that my wife wanted to use before they permanently close. Her report: Store was a mess and the product, which showed in stock online, wasn't in the right section. Finally found it. Staff weren't young but still didn't seem knowledgable. I'm not talking about researching reviews for products, I mean basics like the min-max width of a baby gate. Prices were higher and they would not price match, period. Whatever, better to spend funny money than real money. She finally checks out and since she has a baby, baby bag, other purchases, she requested a carry out for the large item. Nope, they don't do that, despite their clientelle. They offered her use of the loading bay where she can pull her car up to and load it in herself. Finally on her way home she gets stuck in rush hour traffic.

Some factors were within TRU's control and some not. Nonetheless the total shopping experience wasn't pleasant. Perhaps it would've been better to let the gift card lapse and spend 5 minutes buying the item online (for less) with free shipping to our door in 2 days.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #36

if you knew job loss is imminent as a worker you probably wouldn't give 2 shits either
rush-hour traffic was definitely on them though
Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #37
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I found that Baby's R Us, when they have sales is pretty good deal to pick up some stuff for my baby girl. 50% off car seats and other smaller miscellaneous items.
Compared to places like Westcoast Kids that are so freakin' expensive.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I found that Baby's R Us, when they have sales is pretty good deal to pick up some stuff for my baby girl. 50% off car seats and other smaller miscellaneous items.
Compared to places like Westcoast Kids that are so freakin' expensive.
But a business like TRU/BRU can't survive if all people do is to buy their sale items.

Many of those are sold at loss/break-even in order to get people into the store.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
I remember making friends at toys r us back when I was hk and Taiwan

We were all fans of mini 4wd and they always have a track there for us to use, we just bring our cars over to race (for free)

Seriously it's like a track meet where we show off our cars, race them, exchange tips/teach ppl and help fix cars

After that died down, it was beyblades with a stadium (still same results)

Those were good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #40
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
The thing what people don't realize is that the more online shopping they do, the faster these stores will shut down(malls will then disappear). So they can't really complain when on a sunny hot day/winter snowing days that they have nowhere to go hang out and do window shopping coz they are the ones who caused it.

Yes you do save by shopping online but at the same time is also killing traditional shopping centers. Just don't cry and complain when less and less malls are out there and no place for people to hang out.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #41

poor mall rats
Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #42
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The thing what people don't realize is that the more online shopping they do, the faster these stores will shut down(malls will then disappear). So they can't really complain when on a sunny hot day/winter snowing days that they have nowhere to go hang out and do window shopping coz they are the ones who caused it.

Yes you do save by shopping online but at the same time is also killing traditional shopping centers. Just don't cry and complain when less and less malls are out there and no place for people to hang out.
With TRU still being a rather large major retailer, I find it difficult to have any sympathy for the corporation itself. It's like back when Future Shop or Target went kaput, did you really feel sorry for the company at all? It is really just a matter and direct consequence of the changing tastes and habits of consumers.

What I do feel sympathetic towards is the slow but steady demise of small, independent shops. Nearly all good independent shops offer superior service one way or another compared to big box stores or large corporations. However, they absolutely cannot compete on price, and both people's mindset nowadays as well as the ever-rising costs of living are pushing people to only shop or spend money at the big stores, leaving these small businesses to die a slow death.

(It also doesn't help that JT and his cronies are now trying to hike taxes on these small businesses and professionals in the name "fairness", when that sorry excuse is really nothing more than a cheap facade. I'm actually kind of surprised that the topic hasn't come up in RS since I thought we had quite a number of business owners here.)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #43
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
We had $31 in TRU gift cards and decided to use them right away. They say it is business as usual but that could change anytime.

We didn't even go to the store. Ordered the Lego Classic medium size for Xmas for my daughter. Free shipping and a few dollars less than Walmart.

I was going to use the gift cards on Sept 29th for SNES Classic but who knows if gift cards will still be accepted.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote