REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

For those with car covers and have left your car parked under one on the street...

How'd it work out?
Did you find that a good quality cover protected it against the elements?
Any problems from the city?
Any problems with vandalism or theft?

I garage my fun car right now but that may change soon and I may have to park it on the street.

I got a nice custom-fitted car cover as a gift so thought I'd start to use it.

However...

A big part of me is worried about people trying to steal it, or to attempt to remove it from the car just to be a dick, or otherwise mess with the car because it'll look enticing under that cover. Lots of breakins lately in my neighbourhood and people going around trying unlocked doors at night so wouldn't put it past somebody to try something, sadly.

I have a cable and lock to run through the middle of the cover to help with that.

Experiences would be appreciated.
Advertisement
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Answer for question #1 and 2: For the most part, yes. It did protect against the elements and it worked out, for the most part, excellent. I had a vehicle sit outside the fall and winter and it stood up against the rain and snow. Come spring time, the car was fine. I checked on it regularly and took the cover off to allow the cover and the car to breath. Perhaps overkill, but I wanted to be safe than sorry.

Problems from the city - no. I would think that this could only happen if someone calls the city or ICBC, so make sure the vehicle is insured. If you have storage insurance for the car, please make sure it's stored on personal property, and not the street. ICBC will not insure it and if something happens to it, your insurance is, for the most part, null and void. (Check to be sure!)

No problems with vandalism or theft, but understand the risks that it can happen no matter where or what. If the car has considerable value, consider storing it in a garage or renting a parking space in a condo/apartment etc. If you have a good relationship with your neighbours, talk to them and let them know what you're doing so maybe they will keep an eye out for you.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I would also worry about rodents making a home in your car, especially as we approach cooler weather. As bcrdukes said consider storing inside.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
put a dummy plate on a car that had mechanical issues
after a month or three in front of the house it became obvious it hasn't been moved in a while
sure enough got a tow notice from CoV

if you try putting a covered car on the street i'm sure you'll get a notice very soon before theft/rodents are even a concern
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I've parked my summer car for the last 3 years outside fully covered. I fill up the tank to full and the tire pressure as well. I haven't had any issues with rodents so far. I do leave my sunroof in a vent position to have air circulation in the car.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
I've never used one but I suspect it will do more harm than good by holding all the moisture in. Even if it's waterproof it will trap the condensation
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
A quality cover should breathe. Do not use a tarp. Look at my Datsun's paint. Ugh. Silly previous owners.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Yeah a proper car cover is a must. It will repel the rain/snow and it will breathe as well.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote