REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Tax on private sold used vehicles. What do you guys usually do?

A lot of people will try to put a lower price as sold in agreement with party's in attempt to spend the least on tax. Have you ever seen people get In trouble over this? I'm sure yes when redicoulous amounts are exaturated. I've heard that if a vehicle is sold for under 90% market value they want to you to write the reason why.
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
"engine needs work"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
I don't get it

When I sold my E36 M3, the guy said ICBC didn't take into account it was an M car. It just looked at prices for E36's, and we had to explain why the guy was buying an E36 at way over the normal price.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Same goes for Acura Integra Type R. They put all Integra's into one basket. All are worth like $4k

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
I think they do that for a lot of cars. They don't consider a Celica GTFour RC from a regular Celica GTFour or Alltrac, which is understandable, but then they don't consider a GTFour or Alltrac different from a 2WD N/A model. Apparently they're all the same and all worth $500.

As for reducing the amount listed for taxes, I imagine everyone just says the car needs mechanical work. I've never heard of anyone get in trouble for it, maybe because they realizes it's a huge scam to charge sale tax on a used vehicle sold privately. If you're selling some accessory with it (winter tires, etc) you could just say the extra money you received was for that. So if anyone asks a lot of people are getting really shitty deals on winter tires with the car they just bought
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I think they do that for a lot of cars. They don't consider a Celica GTFour RC from a regular Celica GTFour or Alltrac, which is understandable, but then they don't consider a GTFour or Alltrac different from a 2WD N/A model. Apparently they're all the same and all worth $500.

As for reducing the amount listed for taxes, I imagine everyone just says the car needs mechanical work. I've never heard of anyone get in trouble for it, maybe because they realizes it's a huge scam to charge sale tax on a used vehicle sold privately. If you're selling some accessory with it (winter tires, etc) you could just say the extra money you received was for that. So if anyone asks a lot of people are getting really shitty deals on winter tires with the car they just bought
I was "lucky" when my car had an engine fire and there were a lot that were going for around 5000-6000 on CL and I got the "market value" for one at the time. Alltrac.net still has that story on the boards.

I'd honestly declare the full value of the car 'cause it's a basis for valuing the car when shit does hit the fan. i'm not gonna save a few hundred in taxes when it means i lose a few thousand on value for low balling if an accident occurs.

Which brings up the point, I never understood why people bought car insurance as a pleasure vehicle when they use their car daily for work. When an accident does occur, you can bet ICBC will do their best to deny your claim. You can outsmart ICBC a few times, but they can screw you when you least expect.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
no car has perfect paint, therefore every car needs a paint job.

what you pay/declare has no bearing on an insurance valuation ^^
(for now anyway)

if you make a claim on a pleasure vehicle and it's deemed not pleasure, you will pay a penalty. ICBC will not deny your claim based on this, they will simply assess a charge to the payout.

where do you get your info ZN6? if things have changed I'm happy to be corrected.

We could tangent into why we're paying tax over and over again on a used vehicle at all. Bad enough that we have to pay it when we own something for the first time. I've personally bought 2 vehicles back from owners I've sold them to (and paid more tax each time).
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
I have heard of someone who underdeclared the purchase price and claimed "mechanical issues" and icbc asked them for proof of repair or an estimate.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Awhile ago i bought a vehicle with some work needed, one of the things being a misfire, and the seller told the insurance broker "engine missing" upon ownership transfer, didn't have any problems
The broker was a bit skeptical but the seller was really persistent so it worked out lol

The other time we had bought a vehicle under market value, it got written off due to vandalism, ICBC gave us full market value, plus the amount that i had spent on repairs recently, as I provided the receipt

Last edited by coneZONE; 09-27-2017 at 05:30 PM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
anyone tried contacting their MP to see if they will take this double-dipping issue seriously or are they just gonna have a good laugh at the effort to cut out another small but consistent cash flow?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Producer is absolutely correct.

OP, I think probably the only way one would get “caught” for underdeclaring value would be if somebody reported it to the authorities (ICBC? Revenue Canada? I don’t even know who the hell a person would report it to?) probably if a buyer is polite with the seller and doesn’t blast it out to the world on social media that they did this then no one is going to investigate unless you just bought a Ferrari for $2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
no car has perfect paint, therefore every car needs a paint job.

what you pay/declare has no bearing on an insurance valuation ^^
(for now anyway)

if you make a claim on a pleasure vehicle and it's deemed not pleasure, you will pay a penalty. ICBC will not deny your claim based on this, they will simply assess a charge to the payout.

where do you get your info ZN6? if things have changed I'm happy to be corrected.

We could tangent into why we're paying tax over and over again on a used vehicle at all. Bad enough that we have to pay it when we own something for the first time. I've personally bought 2 vehicles back from owners I've sold them to (and paid more tax each time).
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
When I sold my E36 M3, the guy said ICBC didn't take into account it was an M car. It just looked at prices for E36's, and we had to explain why the guy was buying an E36 at way over the normal price.
Ha same thing happened to me as the buyer. The ladies at ICBC thought I was getting fucked over so badly.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Needs; paint, engine, wheels, driveline, body panels.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I think it's absurd to double tax used cars on private sales.
What really pissed me off was when the hst was introduced and they jacked up the tax to 12% and when they reversed the hst they kept the tax at 12% fucking bs
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Same goes for Acura Integra Type R. They put all Integra's into one basket. All are worth like $4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Does this mean all the M cars, Type Rs, AMGs, etc. are all in the same insurance basket as their regular counterparts?
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #16
in the butt

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma123 View Post
I think it's absurd to double tax used cars on private sales.
What really pissed me off was when the hst was introduced and they jacked up the tax to 12% and when they reversed the hst they kept the tax at 12% fucking bs
Iv said it before, il say it again

Whats wrong with a car being resold lets say 6 times, over a span of 20 years?

New 20k > 2.4k tax
Resold 15k > 1.8k tax
Resold 10k > 1.2k tax
Resold 7k > 0.9k tax
Resold 3k > 0.4k tax
Flipped 4k > 0.5k tax
Resold 2k > 0.3k tax

Gov made 7.5k on a 20k car
Not including parts/insurance/gas/etc taxes
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Declare $1 and then send a copy to Revenue Canada with a big middle finger sticker on it.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
I'm invisible

In BC the department that is responsible for collecting he tax is Consumer taxation branch or Ministry of Finance. If there’s any audits that are done, I heard CTB does them but almost a year later.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #19
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Car needs paint or has dents. Rock chips, small scuffs, scratches, taps on bumpers etc etc. Paintwork is expensive and you can easily get quotes to repaint entire panels if anyone even asks.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Does this mean all the M cars, Type Rs, AMGs, etc. are all in the same insurance basket as their regular counterparts?
I am not quite sure. I did declared value of $20k I pay about $1300 per yr with max discount

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #21
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
Producer is right, the amount you declare on the APV9T transfer form has NO bearing whatsoever on any future insurance payouts in the event of a total loss.

People with M cars posting here went to shit autoplan agencies, every single model and sub-model is on the black book/gold book/blue book guide they are supposed to use to check your sale price.

What do I usually do? Phone an agent and ask what gold book is for the vehicle you intend to purchase. That will give you an idea of how much you can play with the price without raising too many eyebrows if you want to play safe.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2017, 03:23 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
68style is right. You guys need to find a good Autoplan agent and stick with them. The information and their knowledge of the processes and procedures revolving around Autoplan and ICBC's policies are priceless. Sadly, we often take them for granted.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
People with M cars posting here went to shit autoplan agencies, every single model and sub-model is on the black book/gold book/blue book guide they are supposed to use to check your sale price.
How far back do those go though? A modern M3 might be in there, but I'd be surprised if they're covering 20+ year old cars.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #24
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

This guy wouldn't shut up about how crazy it was that the fact it was an M car didn't change the expected price. It took us 90 minutes to transfer the car because he wouldn't stop going on and on about how good the M cars are and how he had one once but wrecked it. He also wanted a reason to include why the price was higher than expected (to prevent money laundering maybe?).

Yes the model is on the guide, but I think he said the expected price was something like $6 or $7k for an E36 M3.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #25
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
I put a negative amount and get the Gov't to pay me back

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: