REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Need your prayers for Gizmo as he was attacked by a pitbull last night

Hey everyone,
I couldn't sleep last night b/c all I could think about was what happened last night. All that I keep hearing and seeing is Gizmo's blood curdling yelp and being shaken like a rag doll.
I was walking Gizmo ( maltipoo )at the park and we walked up to an older guy walking a pitbull.
The pitbull wanted to sniff Gizmo and I asked if he was friendly, he didn't say anything and gave his dog lots of slack on his leash. Next thing I know the pitbull attacked Gizmo and got a hold of him and started shaking him like a rag doll. I tried to grab the pitbulls mouth but was unable to. After about 10 seconds I guess his grip loosened and Gizmo got free but couldn't put any weight on his right front leg. The guy finally pulled the pitbull away. I picked Gizmo up asap and told him that I wanted his information because my dog was injured. He started to walk away it would not acknowledge me. I later found out that he did not speak English because he called his son who is the actual owner and the son came to the park.
I told the son what happened and he seemed somewhat apologetic. I called my wife and she immediately came to the park and took Gizmo to the vet to get checked. I then called the RCMP to file a police report while the actual owner of the pitbull was there. He did give me his name and number. The RCMP did come out to the park where I was in East Richmond. I found out that he did this because he is a dog owner himself. I was told to file a report with Richmond animal protection society and the RCMP officer went to visit the pitbull owner. He told RCMP officer that he is willing to help me pay for the vet bills once Gizmo has been checked over.
My wife told me that the vet found multiple puncture rooms on Gizmo's upper body and lots of swelling as you can imagine. I have to take him back this afternoon for an x-ray to make sure there's no fractures or breaks in his bones. I'm very concerned of permanent or long-term damage and trauma because Gizmo is 10 years old.
I'm praying that the x-rays will be negative and that Gizmo will recover quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
That's rough man, at least the pitbull's owner seems to be willing to cooperate and isn't outright shutting you out.

Hopefully your Gizmo makes a full recovery!
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

hope your dog is okay.. i got a little guy of my own too. i never let my dog near pitbulls idgaf how many pitbull owners are here. dogs are unpredictable and if they're a breed known to kill i won't take my chances.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

I filed a police report and RAPS. Just found out that for Richmond pitbulls and similar breeds are supposed to be muzzled which would have prevented all of this.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

I blame the owner, not the dog.
I just hope that he does the right thing as a doggy parent and pay for our vet bill.
I'm taking Gizmo in this afternoon for X-rays to make sure there are no broken bones or fractures.

Last edited by racerman88; 09-29-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

That really sucks man. I generally keep my 4 year old 5lbs yorkie away from bigger dogs because of scenarios like this. Like you said, nothing against the dog or breed, just you can’t trust people to be ontop of obedience training. Just not worth the risk of a larger dog playing rag doll with your smaller breed. Hope Gizmo has a speedy recovery.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Update: good news, the X-rays came out negative. We were told to just keep an eye on that area to make sure there is no infection.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

That is fucking horrible, I hope your little guys makes a full recovery! Mydog (German shepherd/malamute mix) is friendly but Im also always aware it could snap for whatever reason. I always make it a habit to also bend down and pet the other dog too, when my dog goes over to say hi. I don't know if theres any factual evidence but I found it makes them more at ease and if anything happens I can step between, I also really love dogs
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,896 Posts
So many dog owners think that the leash rule applies to other people's dogs except their own nice, 'would never bite', adorable, pit bull/doberman/rottweiler.

Last edited by whitev70r; 10-03-2017 at 07:33 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
yikes...if he never said anything i would've said fuck that.

that pitbull has no social interactions at all its entire life if it attacked on the spot like that...

pitbulls & husky's are like that when they aren't socialized,i saw a husky kill another dog on video because a smaller dog bit at it and it went into protection mode...i'm glad your dogs okay for right now,cause when they attack they go for the head and massive injury to the neck,skull....it was just a leg,i think you trying to open the dogs mouth might've saved the dog from dislodged bones IMO.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 AM   #11
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
I blame the owner, not the dog.
I just hope that he does the right thing as a doggy parent and pay for our vet bill.
I'm taking Gizmo in this afternoon for X-rays to make sure there are no broken bones or fractures.

I'd put the blame on the owner's father and not so much the owner. He seemed to own up to everything and said he'd cooperate and cover all your vet expenses. It's a shitty situation and I hope Gizmo makes a quick and speedy recovery!

I have a 15lb and a 5lb dog, so I generally keep them away from most dogs that are bigger than them. Like others have said, you just never know when a dog will react negatively.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
That really sucks man. I generally keep my 4 year old 5lbs yorkie away from bigger dogs because of scenarios like this. Like you said, nothing against the dog or breed, just you can’t trust people to be ontop of obedience training. Just not worth the risk of a larger dog playing rag doll with your smaller breed. Hope Gizmo has a speedy recovery.

This is what I will be doing from now on. I'm not going to let him near anything bigger than him. We are still keeping an eye on Gizmo b/c he is still limping. No infection so that is a good sign so far.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

So sorry to hear that. My terrier mix just got attacked this sunday by a husky looking dog. Luckily his left rear leg is bruised and nothing else. The owners took off while we were checking him over. I turned around and they were gone, it wasn't more than 20 seconds. They sure moved fast for a couple of fat people. I get stuck with a $300 vet bill and having to rework his confidence up again. At least the other owner in your situation is taking responsibility. Speedy recovery to your little one!!!
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote