REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Sears Canada seeks to close 12,000 positions, possibly liquidating next week

written in the stone for years now

end of an era...at its peak was the namesake to the tallest building in the world for almost 25 years

Sears Canada wants court's permission to liquidate all remaining stores - Business - CBC News
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Growing up during the mall boom, it's hard to accept the closure of another department chain but it's inevitable with the sharp change in shopping habits.

Here's an interesting perspective (American) on the sudden closures of department stores.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...f-2017/522384/

And here's a list of defunct retailers in the US (some could apply to Canada)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Have to wonder if The Bay will be next on the block
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
that's sad but when we gonna see 50% off on Dyson products?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
The Bay has been moving up-market for some time. They seem safe for now, though I wouldn't be surprised if they occupy less stores in 10 years and move to a destination store model.

Liquidation sales are actually shittier sales for the savvy consumer as deep discounts don't happen until the end of the liquidation period. By the time you actually get a deal better than a regular sale price, most inventory is gone.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
The bay seems to be really well for the past several years. They change thier fashion in terms of clothing to more of a younger/mature crowd. Also their bay day sales is pretty good (espeically when they have Levis jeans on sale for $34.99 a pair).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

True, they've adapted well.
They do have good sales every now and then but for the most part, i still find some of their stuff overpriced.

Tapioca's right though...less stores and smaller stores might be in the long term strategy to stay competitive.

gotta play that game...target had shit sales at the first part of their liquidation, and even towards the end their final items sales weren't that good
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Given how they haven't changed their business model in forever I'm not surprised.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #9

Sears could have been Amazon as they had the infrastructure for making the transition to online shopping: trusted name and a robust catalog business with pick up points all across the country.

Rumour has it that Ikea has been trying to acquire the rights to sell Kenmore-branded appliances in their stores. The Sears appliance division is the only draw for people under the age of 40.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
When you fail to change, the change will fail you instead.

ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Sears could have been Amazon as they had the infrastructure for making the transition to online shopping: trusted name and a robust catalog business with pick up points all across the country.

Rumour has it that Ikea has been trying to acquire the rights to sell Kenmore-branded appliances in their stores. The Sears appliance division is the only draw for people under the age of 40.
I don't even understand the draw for the "Kenmore" name.

All their major appliances have been rebadged units from other manufacturers ie: Amana, Whirlpool, GE etc. for a while now.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #12

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
They used to be top notch like Craftsman. Of course, that's in the past, but they still have name brand appeal.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
^ I know, but I know better.
I feel like there should be more public awareness campaigns that name brands these days usually don't mean shit.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #14
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

I keep hearing news about it dying, but it's dying a very slow death lol
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I don't even understand the draw for the "Kenmore" name.

All their major appliances have been rebadged units from other manufacturers ie: Amana, Whirlpool, GE etc. for a while now.
From my understanding for the last while at least the washers and dryers have been rebadged Samsungs, which personally I'd avoid since I learned in another thread on here that Samsung doesn't release any of the information needed to repair their units.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
The bay stores are slowly deteriorating and looking dated. Paying expensive leases and sitting on expensive real estate, them and every large big box stores are on the chopping block.

Dont even need to go out no more. I can order everything online and read the reviews in my underwear while avoiding traffic, parking and crowds.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
this means the end of the Christmas wish book?...i always laughed at people getting them and never understood because everything is digital now in 2000's...it was a big thing in the 90s cause rarely they didnt have every toy in a book.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
The bay stores are slowly deteriorating and looking dated. Paying expensive leases and sitting on expensive real estate, them and every large big box stores are on the chopping block.

Dont even need to go out no more. I can order everything online and read the reviews in my underwear while avoiding traffic, parking and crowds.
Nah. People still like the social aspect for shopping. Most people are social animals, they have the desire to still go shop for shoes or clothing or jewelry. Look at Amazon, they started online but now are strategically going brick-and-mortar.

The big thing moving forward is omnichannel, where customers can seamlessly transition between web, app, and physical stores for their shopping needs.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
From my understanding for the last while at least the washers and dryers have been rebadged Samsungs, which personally I'd avoid since I learned in another thread on here that Samsung doesn't release any of the information needed to repair their units.
Kenmore uses different manufacturers for the same type of appliance. Kenmore contracts Whirlpool Corporation to make its fridges in its mainline, but Kenmore Elite fridges are actually LG units.

Looks like the Ontario Superior Court has approved the liquidation application. It's officially done.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

Have you been to the flagship Bay downtown? Its a far cry from the dilapidated mess of the suburban locations. This is where department store retail is heading: flagship stores in downtowns with suburban pick up locations and e-commerce to fill in the gaps.

People still like shopping in stores, but at destination locations like downtowns. It's why stores, like Nordstrom and Holt, have spent money on restaurants and cafes in stores.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

So whens the best time to go in and check out whats left without everything being gone?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
this means the end of the Christmas wish book?...i always laughed at people getting them and never understood because everything is digital now in 2000's...it was a big thing in the 90s cause rarely they didnt have every toy in a book.
I love the wishbook. It's kind of like trying to go through the Canadian Tire flyer online vs the paper copy. It's painful.

Really, I only ever did this when bored at my Grandparents house... with no internet to be found.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
So whens the best time to go in and check out whats left without everything being gone?
probably timed just right sometime middle of the sale

i don't expect anything to hit good deal levels the first few weeks
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #24

I went into the Sears Home here last night and some stuff was listed quite cheap, I'm not sure if those were from an existing sale or not though.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'm sure I can find something of use when I'm there. What's good usually? I'm thinking like maybe some pillows or something
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote