REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Software sales

Anybody currently in software sales/account exec at the moment able to share information about their job?

What are your working hours?
Daily tasks?
Where you worked before this?
Are you happy with your current position?

I've been headhunted a few times for the position and considering it but don't want to contact them back just yet lol.

I'm currently a outside B2B sales rep at a telecommunications company.

I could easily google this information but I would like to hear from you local guys on RS.

Thanks
Advertisement
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
hm.. where can I start.

# 1.. it's all cold calling. You're probably prospecting if you're acc exec. Start by asking what territory, why did the last person leave but most importantly, did the last few rep ever hit their quota is key. (I was tricked once where quota were never attainable).

#2.. Better be a company you like to work in. For software company eg// SAP ( = free gym, but a younger company with tons of younger teens = gossip) Absolute Software, start ups etc. Find out if you like the corp culture and the people. Negotiate perks. Sky is the limit. Then there are Red hat, Sophos, VMWare, Citrix, Veeam etc.; corp and set pay but big well know names.

#3.. You are paid _____ amount based on what you do. Acc Exc = 9-5 cold calling. If you're territory rep = trade shows = working 10 hr days (doing emails at home after dinner). WELL that sucks you say... When you're pulling in 150-180k OTE (On Target Earnings), then yeah, you don't get paid that working just 8 hr a day.

#4.. Pick the manager, NOT the role. 9 out of 10 times, people bitch about their manager. You can have great pay, but the manager is what makes or breaks you.

#5.. NEVER EVER go for the title. I have seen 30 yr old chasing after the VP of ____ title, only to not be able to find any jobs afterwards because he's over qualified. *seriously, just cause you're CFO for a 40 people company, you're still in a small company.. If you're a CFO of Amazon, Tesla, MS, Pepsi, now you're talking

I can go on forever, but hope this helps.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Been in software sales for 20years now...

been at all sorts of different technologies... CRM, ERP, Business Intelligence, GPS, Marketing, Public Relations...etc.

1. really depends on which organization you are looking to join..i know most of the tech companies here in BC and can provide feedback.
2. salaries range from 45k to 55k for new sales reps entering the fray... feel free to negotiate but you gotta have the experience to back it up.
3. your manager is key to your success...if he/she is a dork or total dickhead you're fuked...although performance is tied to your mgr as well...again, depends on the organization you are wanting to join.

yah, as above, i can go on forever BUT what I found was very effective for me...over the course of 20 years are the various sales training i've taken:

miller - heiman
solution selling
customer centric selling
challenger

etc.. etc. these helped me better understand and approach prospects in a more strategic way than just some car sales guy.

good luck.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
I agree with you Acura604; for an Acc Exec, they ain't going to realize what M&H training is.

Solution & customer selling is a given, and then those who are the top 1 % would be a challenger (from the book The Challenger Sale)!
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote