REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

P0420

Hey guys,

I have this P0420 on my 2006 Pilot.
Im aware that it has something to do with the cat.
Im trying to save up to get it fixed (cats are hella expensive), but can I still keep driving it with the code on?
And is OEM cat converter really necessary (Ive heard that sometimes the code comes back on if I an aftermarker cat is installed)?
Ive been told that another CHEAP option is to gut the cat converter components out etc.? Have any of you done this?

Thanks
Advertisement
Wishful_Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
To remove your catalytic converters is illegal. If for some reason you get pulled over and the cop asks or checks, you can get a VI. Yes you can still drive with the CEL but you won’t be running efficiently and will use more fuel. Some aftermarket “race cats” which are half the size of oem don’t clean the exhaust enough so they still throw a code
Old 11-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
11 year SUV -- how many kms on the car? Catalytic converters can and do wear out over time, and having 11 years to kill one wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Generally speaking, OEM cats are not necessary. I've only installed performance high flow cats (and exhausts) on my cars, and never had any problems with them before. However, I have read that with certain cars, high flow cats are too unrestrictive for the stupid sensors, and that causes the ECU to throw another CEL.

You can certainly still drive with the code on, and if you don't give a damn about anything, it usually isn't a show stopper either (ie. you won't damage anything else). But in the name of being a responsible vehicle operator, you should definitely get the vehicle repaired properly. Having no cat / non-functioning cats releases a tremendous amount of pollution compared to having a functional cat.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

Theres approximately 250k kms on the SUV now.
I got a quote for $1000ish for front cat and $700ish for rear ones. They're darn expensive!
Wishful_Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Honestly, with 250k km on the odo, I'd personally think it is time to replace the vehicle with something else, instead of further sinking good money into a high mileage vehicle.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: