REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

buying outright vs contract

was talking to a friend and he said how buying phone outright is cheaper than going on a contract.
what do you guys think of this? I think either way you have to pay for the phone The contract way you pay it little by little over 2 years .
I always went with the contract way as paying 800 outright is just too much to shallow
Advertisement
rev784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
All depends on the plan really. If you get into a good plan why not have a contract and get a free or highly discounted phone? I've always had contracts for about 20 years. One time mine ran out and I just kept on the same month to month, when I needed a new phone I just renewed the contract and they gave me a phone.
I see nothing wrong with contracts if you plan on actually having a phone for a long time. In fact they reward you over time with loyalty bonuses.

Berz out.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If you're paying for a subsidized phone, your plan's likely higher than one with no contract. So in a way, it comes down to whether your device can outlive the length of your contract and by how much.

For myself, I take care of my phone's pretty well and they usually last around 3 years for me. Which is why I buy out the phone and go on no contract plans ($40/month - 4GB data). But if you can stay on a good plan and still get subsidies, by all means, take that route. The subsidy's like free money.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I would only go on contract if you can get a corporate plan - even then some corporate plans are still shit.

Basically if you're on contract for $70+ per month, your plan is shit. (average user)
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #5

i'm on a BYOD plan with Fido that is <$50/mo. I just wait until new phones are about a year old then buy one outright that is lightly used. Just picked up an S8+ this way.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
i dont know why people have such a hard time understanding that you'll still be paying for your new plan even after the 2 year contract ends... they don't call you up at the end of the 2 years and say, hey we're going to lower your bill now because the contract is over.

the only time taking the contract is ever in your favor is if the plan costs LESS than what your current plan is (assuming it provides the same features or better). But, let's face it... the plans that keep coming out are complete rip offs.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Has anyone found a store that would allow HUP and resign on the corp 350 plan still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
Has anyone found a store that would allow HUP and resign on the corp 350 plan still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be awesome but I doubt. I'm on the Crop 350 and have bought my own device for years now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
If you have a good plan that allows contracts, your basically owning yourself by not going on contract. Look at it this way, if you like your current phone and plan, go on contract to get a free or discounted phone, then sell the phone on craigslist, then dump the cash into your account, you basically get several months paid off depending on the phone you get. Reuse, reduce, recycle.

If you have to change to a shittier plan aka more expensive plan, do the math. Add 48 months of new plan, and the discounted phone, compared to your current plan *48 months and buying a new phone. That will show you the way of the samurai. Peanut brain activate.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #10

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
it's "logic" like that, that's why carriers can keep coming up with ridiculous plans and people still sign up.

You're still paying the new plan rate after 48 months.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #11
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Is it more expensive to sign up on a contract or to buy the phone outright? The answer really depends on the carrier and how they implement their device costs.

On Bell, if you bring your own device, 4GB of data and unlimited local-calling is $95. Two years of service is $2280. iPhone X outright is $1319. Everything totals up to $3599.

Same plan on contract is $120 per month. Two years of service is $2880. iPhone X has an upfront cost of $599. Everything totals up to $3479.

In this situation, you're right, it's cheaper to sign up on a contract.

On Koodo, if you bring your own device, 4GB of data and unlimited Canada-wide calling is $85. Two years of service is $2040. iPhone X outright is $1319. Everything totals up to $3359.

Same plan on contract is $116 per month with the device on tab. Two years of service is $2784. iPhone X has an upfront cost of $800. Everything totals up to $3584.

In this situation, it's cheaper to buy the phone outright.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Is it more expensive to sign up on a contract or to buy the phone outright? The answer really depends on the carrier and how they implement their device costs.

On Bell, if you bring your own device, 4GB of data and unlimited local-calling is $95. Two years of service is $2280. iPhone X outright is $1319. Everything totals up to $3599.

Same plan on contract is $120 per month. Two years of service is $2880. iPhone X has an upfront cost of $599. Everything totals up to $3479.

In this situation, you're right, it's cheaper to sign up on a contract.

On Koodo, if you bring your own device, 4GB of data and unlimited Canada-wide calling is $85. Two years of service is $2040. iPhone X outright is $1319. Everything totals up to $3359.

Same plan on contract is $116 per month with the device on tab. Two years of service is $2784. iPhone X has an upfront cost of $800. Everything totals up to $3584.

In this situation, it's cheaper to buy the phone outright.
Or if you have a grandfathered/corporate plan going on contract makes no sense. $65 per month at Bell 6GB Data a month with unlimited call/text and caller id/voicemail Canada Wide calling etc. VS going on a 2 year contract for what I currently have ($65) to get a subsidized phone is around $145-150 per month.
Sir_Loin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin View Post
Or if you have a grandfathered/corporate plan going on contract makes no sense. $65 per month at Bell 6GB Data a month with unlimited call/text and caller id/voicemail Canada Wide calling etc. VS going on a 2 year contract for what I currently have ($65) to get a subsidized phone is around $145-150 per month.
Yes, that's a no brainer so that's why I was answering OP's question subjectively by comparing different carriers with current in-market plans.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: