REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Heater not turning on

Live in an apartment and there is a control for the temperature. Wanted to turn the heat but it seems like all I get is cold air blowing out.

I set it the temperature to 24.5 to 25 just to test to make sure heat is coming out. Seems like the panel knows I change the temperature but somehow the system blowing only cold air out.

There is a few screenshot
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CPA...F0vnx5B7A/view

This was me testing it last night forcing it to 24.5 overnight to see if it actually raise the temperature. Woke up in the morning to 18.5. Since no heat is coming out I had to turn the oven on and let the oven door open get some heat lol.

Oven heat the apartment to 22 around 11am and I went out forcing the system to 25. I was hoping it was coz the system never had the heater turn on so it takes time (Brand new apartment just move in in July. The A/C works fine.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_b_...hY4j7p3wg/view

Came home around 5 and temperature drop to 21. Set the system back to schedule which I set to 24.5

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E0v...YUUP8jB3w/view

Currently heat is sitting at 20....... I already email the building manager and the building warrnatly. At this point is there something I can do? Or is it more of a building issue? I ask a few people I know in the building and their units seems fine. However, I talk to the security and it seems the lobby have no have heat as well. The lobby is sitting at around 18.5 degree even though is set to 30 and same thing cold air is blowing out. So I don't think is a building issue because then there wouldn't be any heat on for everyone. The fan I can either set it to Auto or On. Auto means if the A/C is on it will blow cold air and if heat is on it SHOULD BLOW HEAT OUT. if the fan is set to on it will blow cold air.

Is it something with my unit (Maybe a switch hidden somewhere), or my unit is not hook up the heating system or maybe something is broken?
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
20.5c is pretty damn warm - some units do not go much higher than 21c - I know my furnace won't. No heat coming out when you have the temp set to warm is usually a sign of one of the heating elements being burnt out and then the furnace overloads and doesn't heat at all; but that usually only happens after many years, not on new units. Until you figure it out, wear a sweater and get some good slippers. I would avoid using the stove for safety reasons - buy an external oil tank heater if you really have to.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
20.5c is pretty damn warm - some units do not go much higher than 21c - I know my furnace won't. No heat coming out when you have the temp set to warm is usually a sign of one of the heating elements being burnt out and then the furnace overloads and doesn't heat at all; but that usually only happens after many years, not on new units. Until you figure it out, wear a sweater and get some good slippers. I would avoid using the stove for safety reasons - buy an external oil tank heater if you really have to.
seems like is an heat pump issue. Maybe is a lemon coz I talk to my neighbour and his is fine (he set his unit 25 degree but he also have a 2 years old boy so I guess it needs to be higher.) 20.5 is kinda of ok but in the morning is around 18 which is pretty cold. Going to get a heater tomorrow. Email the developer's warranty. Hopefully they send someone is sooner rather than later...... but given how long it took them to send someone to fix my firealarm(fire alarm was doing the pinging noise every 30sec non stop and it took them well over 2 weeks to send someone in), took them 2 more than 2 weeks for them to send someone in just to take a look a leaking issue I have and it damage my cabinets and is still not fix........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I find it convenient to have some external heaters to help take the edge of the winter cold. They stay warm for hours, even after unplugged, and if your heater ever does bite the dust, it is good to have some kind of back-up. I have three oil tank heaters in our house, as the upstairs gets a little cool through the night - I have the house furnace temp set to 17c through the night.

Here is an example (I bought these for $84 each on sale), but several others are always on sale:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
what you can try in the mean time is to turn the fan option off, but leave the heat on and see what happens.

i was told a long time ago that the fan actually draws the air from the outside and into your unit. so if u have the heat on (heat from the furnace) and the fan on (drawing cold air from the outside), its kind of counter productive.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote