REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Do what the chinese C-lais does, put those bins on the road to prevent people parking there.
Lol my block is super congested, so when I see those bins on my block or cones. I just take them, park and put those bins in my garage.
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
I've talked to COV before about parking disputes. Had a simular issue with one house chopped up for rental and the tenants taking up the parking in front of the house. If the vehicle's registered to an address on the block, you can park anywhere along that block.

In the past I had used the "abandoned vehicle" bylaw to get cars moved, but it looks like they amended the bylaws recently. In the past if it hadn't moved in 14 days they considered it abandoned, It looks like it's been amended so that you can park past 14 days if it's registered to your street.

Best bet is to get familiar with the parking bylaws at http://bylaws.vancouver.ca/2849c.PDF and report any violations. Just make sure you don't run afoul of them either, like putting cans out to 'reserve spots etc.
Tenants can park anywhere along the block, but the bylaw rule is still in effect. Even though car is registered on the block doesn't mean it's a freebie for them to park however they like and as long as they like without moving the car.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #28
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
14 days?

some other cities have 48/72 hr restrictions. If you dont move your car, they ticket and maybe tow you.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #29
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If there are signs that says "Residents of this block only" or "Permit Parking Only"; Bylaw 2849, section 17.6F (aka 3hr bylaw) does not apply.

Which means, if you have those signs on your block; ANYONE can park on your block as long as they are residents of the area (Permit) or block (Residents Only).
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #30
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Tenants can park anywhere along the block, but the bylaw rule is still in effect. Even though car is registered on the block doesn't mean it's a freebie for them to park however they like and as long as they like without moving the car.
If vehicle is registered to the block. HE can park anywhere on the street. For as how long as he wants to!

If it is a RPO and his vehicle aint registered you can call cov and get him a ticket right away. The 3 hour thing is out the window.

Last edited by Gunsmokez; 11-19-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #31
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

A very nice note was left for one who lives their car for days, asking them not to park there due to limited parking. They saw it, ignored it and parked again. Called the city. Within an hour they had a ticket...bylaw guy says 3 tickets will earn an impound for them.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Or just buy POS cars, and fill up the block
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #33
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
I don't disagree, but you gotta know the bylaws before you raise hell. My situation was exactly that. Guy was always parked in front of my house for 9 to 10 days at a time. Waited till he was parked there past two weeks. Reported as abandoned as it was covered in leaves and branches. Bylaw came out the next day. Car moved to the neighbor's back yard for a while before disappearing. Guess the registration wasn't on our street, as it never parked on the street again before disappearing.

Point is, use the appropriate bylaws. If the vehicle is registered to the block, and can't be tagged for parking time, use the other ones. Too far from the curb? Too close to a driveway/intersection? Other section of bylaw cover that.

Fair warning though, at the end of the day, you gotta live there with your neighbors so careful if you start a feud.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #34
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Just report the suite for illegal rental. Usually owners hate that coz then they either have to report all the income and pay higher property tax or reno the whole place up so it can no longer be rented out and a bylaw officer have to come and make sure the suite can no longer be rented.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #35
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
As clarified by the, CoV bylaw 2849 Section 17.6 (f) is meant to protect residents (including tenants) from commuters parking in front of their place during work hours. It is not meant to just protect homeowners.

So if bylaw enforcement comes by and sees the vehicle is registered to someone there, a ticket will not be issued.
Not true, I work for the City and this situation comes up daily.

Ok to be clear i'm talking about a street with no signage, period. The 3hr bylaw applies here and there has always been a misconception about if you live on the block it's cool and while the bylaw makes the intent of the bylaw sound like it's meant to deter commuters and workers from dumping their car and leaving for the day it's also very clear in saying you you can only park in front of the property you personal own.

Some notes about the bylaw

- it's complaint based only meaning this bylaw is never ever proactively enforced
- only the home owner can call about a vehicle parked in front of their house meaning a neighbor can't call if it's in front of someone else house
- the majority of the car must be in front of your house meaning if it's parked 50% in front of yours and 50% in front of someone else both homes need to call in
- only then will parking take the complaint and on the first go around it takes them up to 3 days to get the registration from icbc meaning they will not come out. You would have to wait at least a few days and for them to come back to call again and hopefully then they have the info and only then will they come out and chalk then wait 3 hours and back again
- it's the most annoying to enforce and you can tell there are actually a million hoops to jump through

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"

Last edited by winson604; 11-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Not true, I work for the City and this situation comes up daily.

Ok to be clean i'm talking about a street with no signage, period. The 3hr bylaw applies here and there has always been a misconception about if you live on the block it's cool and while the bylaw makes the intent of the bylaw sound like it's meant to deter commuters and workers from dumping their car and leaving for the day it's also very clear in saying you you can only park in front of the property you personal own.

Some notes about the bylaw

- it's complaint based only meaning this bylaw is never ever proactively enforced
- only the home owner can call about a vehicle parked in front of their house meaning a neighbor can't call if it's in front of someone else house
- the majority of the car must be in front of your house meaning if it's parked 50% in front of yours and 50% in front of someone else both homes need to call in
- only then will parking take the complaint and on the first go around it takes them up to 3 days to get the registration from icbc meaning they will not come out. You would have to wait at least a few days and for them to come back to call again and hopefully then they have the info and only then will they come out and chalk then wait 3 hours and back again
- it's the most annoying to enforce and you can tell there are actually a million hoops to jump through
It would be helpful to include the quote I was responding to as my point was about tenant rights as non-owners, not really about parking in front of someone else's place.

Quote:
Parking in front of residence that you do not "own". Tenants car can be registered to a house address nearby, it wouldn't matter because they are always out of luck. Because they don't "own" the residence. This is Vancouver bylaw, not sure Burnaby, Surrey, Richmond, etc.

That's why tenants should always be nice to the neighbours and not be a douchebag because any home owner can just call to COV to hand it to them if the vehicle is in front of their homes. Heck, the home owner can just call right away if a car is parked in front of their house. Up to the home owners discretion.
It is implied that tenants are not afforded the same right as homeowners to street parking.

The exact wording of the bylaw "such premises that are property or residence of said person" still protects tenants (as they reside there and their vehicle registered) even if they are not owners. Maybe my interpretation is wrong but what kind of landlord is going to call in their own tenant? Both tenants and homeowners follow the same bylaws when parking in front of someone else's place.

Last edited by snowball; 11-19-2017 at 12:15 PM.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
It would be helpful to include the quote I was responding to as my point was about tenant rights as non-owners, not really about parking in front of someone else's place.

It is implied that tenants are not afforded the same right as homeowners to street parking.

The exact working of the bylaw "such premises that are property or residence of said person" still protects tenants (as they reside there and their vehicle registered) even if they are not owners. Maybe my interpretation is wrong but what kind of landlord is going to call in their own tenant? Both tenants and homeowners follow the same bylaws when parking in front of someone else's place.
Yeah, I was shaking my head at Euro7r's comments about "Owning" the property. That's a steamy pile of BS
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #38

Quote:

The exact wording of the bylaw "such premises that are property or residence of said person" still protects tenants (as they reside there and their vehicle registered) even if they are not owners. Maybe my interpretation is wrong but what kind of landlord is going to call in their own tenant? Both tenants and homeowners follow the same bylaws when parking in front of someone else's place.
Lol i should fail myself I quoted the wrong quote completely.

To clarify, what I've said is true re the process. Snowball is right, i say "homeowner" but what I mean is registered insurance so a tenant who lives in the basement has the same rights as the owner if the registered insurance is to the house.

So coles notes one more time

Assuming the insurance is registered to the house then:

- all parties can park adjacent to said house regardless if it's the home owner or tenant for as long as they want
- said people can only park adjacent to any of their neighbors house for 3 hrs from 800-600
- only the people living at the home can call a vehicle in that's adjacent to their property if the majority of the vehicle sites adjacent to your house otherwise both you and your neighbor need to call

One more interesting thing about the Parking bylaw. If a street has both no signage and signage (RPP, RPO) then the 3hr bylaw does not exist on that street because the RPO and RPP trump it. So it's sort of a loophole if you find such a street you can park in the non signed part for as long as you want regardless who you are.

Last edited by winson604; 11-19-2017 at 02:55 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2017, 01:18 AM   #39
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
After 6pm, COV can't ticket anymore due to 8-6pm rule. Calling anytime after 3pm, COV won't do anything since it'll be under 3 hours, can't issue ticket either. In your example, it's blocking driveway instead of parking in front of residential home, likely they handle these cases differently.
Actually they will. When you are past the 3 hour time limit times, it goes to not being allowed to park overnight. Unless you are a resident of the block.

I have had a few guys on my block park their vehicles overnight in front of my place. Now one was a cube truck from his business, the other fellow was a guy that had a truck and trailer exceeding 20something feet. They both were parking in front of mine and my neighbours places, cause they didn't want to park in front of their own homes. I asked both of them twice, politely, not to park in front of my place. The guy with the cube truck basically told me to F off.
The cube truck is a commercial vehicle due to size and restricted to the 3 hours thing, or overnight. So the city came out 3 times at 10 pm or later to ticket him. He now parks either in his back yard, or the block over.
The guy with the trailer was nailed out of the 3 hour time zone, as he parked overnight and was over 20something feet with the truck and trailer. He was ticketed twice by me, and twice by my neighbour. He now parks 2 blocks away on one of those alleys with boulevards.
Now once in a while I don't care if people in the neighbourhood park in front of my place. But if you start doing it almost every day, I don't like it.

My suggestion is take the time to read through the rules for your area. Some of the time my wife and I have found the people taking your calls at the cities bylaw line don't know what they are talking about. My wife spent hours reading through them that applied to our area. When she called in about the truck and trailer the person said there was nothing that the city could do, my wife then specified the section and subsection that applied to the truck and trailer.. silence.. then oh you are right. So don't take the person on the bylaw line as knowing the rules completely.

The cars lining the back alleys, especially in front of laneways makes me laugh. That is the cities fault. I was looking into building a laneway in my back alley.. mostly for resale as I don't want to deal with tenants.
But when I was going through it with an architect.. I discovered from the architect that when a laneway is built, when you apply, you sign a letter stating you or your tenants will not park behind the laneway in the alley.
russfest is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #40

On the flip side I'm moving in the next month or 2 and already I'm anticipating to battle homeowners and curious how ugly it's going to get. Moving to a new townhouse complex, 55 units each unit with 1 parking stall and almost all the units are 2-3 bedrooms. Based on my assumption I would say the majority of people all drive and likely might have 2 cars putting possibly 55 cars into the neighborhood. Luckily, essentially the entire neighborhood is single family res which means there are ample spots all be it you may need to walk a block or maybe even 2 depending. With that said, for sure some home owners will not be happy. sigh first world problems.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #41

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
bald guy is a tenant that lives down the street...cant' find parking...so he winds up parking in front of this dudes house who wasn't all too thrilled.... sound familiar?...dude's car gets blocked in....

Good ol' Surrey and its over crowded neighborhoods where each household has 5 cars + 1 for their tenant.

Last edited by Acura604; 11-20-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #42
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
At the end of the day that home owner has a garage and a driveway. I'd definitely be having some words with them if I came back and was blocked in like that.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #43

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
^Video about a parking dispute ends with a cop who appears to park in front of a fire hydrant. nice.

I'm not sure I would block someone in like that without knowing who it was or what they were capable of. You're guaranteed a confrontation and you put your property at risk. I think I would rather put up with it, go through the proper channels to resolve the issue, than deal with insurance and a damaged vehicle. They would also know where you live should they seek retaliation.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #44
RS controls my life!

Welcome to Clayton Heights
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renxo View Post
Welcome to Clayton Heights
Fuck Clayton Heights.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Lots of good insightful situations mentioned in this thread, along with notes to keep in mind. Best is to check whichever bylaw applies to you, so that when calling the city you are ready.

Agreed with some of you mentioning, it's a dangerous game when it's neighbours battle, gotta make sure you know who you messing with before anything at the end of the day.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #47
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

This city has to do something, my neighbors has 8 cars, one car for each family members
aznarms is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #48
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Looks like the folks in Clayton Heights will have to learn to get along because the parking situation isn't going to get any better

A new report going to Surrey city council on Monday calls for the suspension of a crackdown on illegal suites while the city develops a new policy to either legalize or eliminate the city’s un-permitted rental stock.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3894237/s...ing-evictions/

I saw in the news today that this was passed last night by Surrey Council
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #49

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Looks like the folks in Clayton Heights will have to learn to get along because the parking situation isn't going to get any better

A new report going to Surrey city council on Monday calls for the suspension of a crackdown on illegal suites while the city develops a new policy to either legalize or eliminate the city’s un-permitted rental stock.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3894237/s...ing-evictions/

I saw in the news today that this was passed last night by Surrey Council
Make all the street parking permit parking only that way each resident gets X amounts of permits whether it's 1 or whatever they deem fair. As a resident and home owner in Clayton for the last 10 years I'd be all for this.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #50

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
My friend who lives 3 blocks from me that has a neighbor who thinks he owns the spot in front of his house. In the past he's hooked up chains to vehicles that have parked there and dragged them down the street, totally fucked up.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote