REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
I've had friends that's had their phones stolen in bali in different occasions
and family who was extorted by the police in mexico (also pulled over for "speeding")

I try to practice street smarts when travelling solo but still paranoid about losing my photo gear...I don't flash it but some times I can spend like an hour in one spot trying to get the shots
Advertisement

Last edited by twitchyzero; 12-07-2017 at 07:51 AM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook79 View Post
I have done multiple SEA, from budget backpacking to luxury travelling. I spent many nights on $5 hotel as well as $1300 a night Villa with private pool and butler. After years of travelling in both style, it is really budget backpacking style travel that I enjoy the most. When you are travelling in luxury style, you are missing out a lot on their cultures, and as a matter of fact, I can't tell difference whether I am in SEA, or Caribbean as the bed you sleep in, food you eat, people you see are basically same.
However, when you travel in budget style, you would naturally be out of "safe" zone and experience a lot more. Safety should always be everyone's #1 priority as if something goes wrong only once, that could as well be end of everything.
As for bribing police, I had few run ins at Mexico(I know, not SEA) and Thailand where they stopped me for nothing and asked me to pay "fine" in cash to them immediately.
Particular offense they put on me in Thailand was not having proper international driving permit. I actually did have valid internal driving permit with me when they "fined" me for not having it, and they claimed that it is not valid despite it clearly stated on the license that it is permitted to drive with it in Thailand. Naturally when I argued with the cop, he just says "no English" and demand to pay immediately. Despite trying to reason with the cop, the situation didn't get better and I could sense annoyance and tension building up. I ended up paying the "fine" and got out of the situation before it got any worse. After that day, I did quite a bit of research and found out that paying the bribery was the best decision I made as there were cases where corrupted cop put some travelers in jail for years without properly providing any reasons.
Philippine is my next planned destination. Although it is not my first trip, it will be my first backpacking style trip. Naturally, when I did some research, I came across many articles about their corrupted cops. Just earlier this year, police captain in Philippine set up a kidnap ransom cases which ended up getting the kidnapped businessman killed at the end. This was not an isolated incident, and as a matter of fact, many countries advises you to contact their embassy in a case of any altercation or involvement with the cop immediately and let the cop know that your embassy is aware of your situation and expected to be in contact next day. This is to reduce chance of you being jailed for crimes you did not commit for years in some situation or being extorted for "bail money".
Golden advise with the pay to get out of the corrupt police situation and embassy thing. Thanks!

It might be worth it to dress poor, that way the police might think you may not be worth the trouble because you're poor.