REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
My mom has a 2012 Tucson with over 100k on it (purchased new) and it has been great, other than fluid changes all it has needed is a set of pads/rotors (just to pass an OOP, they were still good for quite a while) and this month it got a new set of tires. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Hyundai as a long term daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyrospec View Post
Elantra
- questionable reliability and the depreciation rate...
Questionable reliability compared to a VW?

As for depreciation, if OP is keeping it for 8-10 years I think it's a pretty moot point. The up front $2k savings over the Civic and $4k over the Golf along with being able to run cheaper fuel is going to make more of a difference overall than resale in 10 year time.

I know this won't be exact, but I went on VMR and ran it for a 2007 Elantra, Civic and Golf GTI. I tried to make them as equal as I could (similar to what OP would buy, all options ticked with 200k km). These are the "retail" prices.

Elantra: $4475
Civic: $5375 ($900 up)
Golf GTI: $6675 ($2200 up)

The odds of getting the cost difference back in 10 years seem slim.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
Yes I will test drive them. And yes if it will be unreliable no matter how good it drives It won’t be on my list. Which is why I’m asking for opinion on the gti reliability and from what I been hearing it will be last on my LIst due to its reliability.

Honestly do you think I was gonna just go down to the dealership and buy the car without test driving them. I’m asking for people opinion and advice. Hence why there are reviews on cars. If everyone just answer with just go test drive them why even bother writing reviews.
I'm sorry if you thought I was attacking you or if I came across the wrong way. My comment was remarking that no one else had made reference to the importance of the driving characteristics (which are generally more a matter of personal opinion. None of the 3 brands you're considering are at the top of the reliability rankings so other factors play into the decision.

If you want reliability rankings, go to Consumer Reports. Generally what you'll get on a forum is anecdotal feedback "I had one and it was great" or "I had one and it sucked." It's not exactly reflective of the overall quality/reliability of the brand/model. Anecdotal info is more useful for the intangibles of the cars one is considering, reviews as you mention.

Of the three brands you're considering the highest ranked is Honda at #9 with Hyundai at #10 and the Elantra as their most reliable model, so there you have it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/

2018 RANK
1 ↑1 Toyota
2 ↓1 Lexus
3 ↑2 Kia
4 — Audi
5 ↑4 BMW
6 ↑5 Subaru
7 ↑1 Infiniti
8 ↓5 Buick
9 ↑1 Honda
10 ↓ 3 Hyundai
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
I'm sorry if you thought I was attacking you or if I came across the wrong way. My comment was remarking that no one else had made reference to the importance of the driving characteristics (which are generally more a matter of personal opinion. None of the 3 brands you're considering are at the top of the reliability rankings so other factors play into the decision.

If you want reliability rankings, go to Consumer Reports. Generally what you'll get on a forum is anecdotal feedback "I had one and it was great" or "I had one and it sucked." It's not exactly reflective of the overall quality/reliability of the brand/model. Anecdotal info is more useful for the intangibles of the cars one is considering, reviews as you mention.

Of the three brands you're considering the highest ranked is Honda at #9 with Hyundai at #10 and the Elantra as their most reliable model, so there you have it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/

2018 RANK
1 ↑1 Toyota
2 ↓1 Lexus
3 ↑2 Kia
4 — Audi
5 ↑4 BMW
6 ↑5 Subaru
7 ↑1 Infiniti
8 ↓5 Buick
9 ↑1 Honda
10 ↓ 3 Hyundai
For the Honda Civic, CR rated it:
- 76/100 on the road test
- For this generation (2016-Current), the only real blemish on the record is in-car electronics for the Honda Civic. Everything else is above average or well above average for reliability feedback.
- Previous generation (2012-2015) was nearly flawless in reliability feedback.
- The Honda Civic ranked 3rd in its class in owner satisfaction (behind the Prius and Elantra)

For the Hyundai Elantra, CR rated it:
- 66/100 on the road test
- For this generation (2017-Current), everything is above average or well-above average for reliability data.
- The previous generation (2011-2016) had issues with the early years (transmission, suspension, brakes, power equipment), but later years had good feedback.
- The Hyundai Elantra ranked 2nd in its class in owner satisfaction (behind the Prius)

For the Volkswagen Golf, CR rated it:
- 82/100 on the road test
- For this generation (2015-Current), the problem areas are the fuel system and in-car electronics (below average). Power equipment, climate system, and fuel system also have average reliability feedback. Almost everything else is well above average.
- The previous generation (2010-2014) had major issues with the fuel system and lesser issues with the climate system and power equipment. Drivetrain has well above average reliability.
- The Volkswagen Golf ranked 9th in its class in owner satisfaction (behind the Prius, Elantra, Civic, C-MAX, Cooper, 3, Soul, and Corolla).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #29

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Toyota being at the top of those rankings (and generally considered to be reliable vehicles with good resale value) have you considered a Corolla iM? I just checked and it's 170.4" long, so it would fit, and it's cheaper than the other 3.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Toyota being at the top of those rankings (and generally considered to be reliable vehicles with good resale value) have you considered a Corolla iM? I just checked and it's 170.4" long, so it would fit, and it's cheaper than the other 3.
I want something with a little more punch than the 137hp. They should make the corolla im with the 86 engine. To compete with the hatches. I would be into that.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

My first 3 cars were Japanese because I was worried about reliability. I never kept them long because they bored me. My 4th car was a VW and I got a 7 year warranty with it because I was paranoid. I'm about 2 years into ownership with zero issues.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
we have an elantra GT (2015) model. 20k km in and no issue so far.

Performance and quality is sub-par but for the price and reliability we are having so far, it is a good daily driver.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

With the three choices given, I would likely go with the Civic based on the reliability and the strong driving performance of the new Civics.

Not to throw a new option into the the mix, but have you looked at the Kia Soul Turbo? 163 inches in length so well below your threshold, 201 hp and 195 torque. Tons of room inside. My mom has a 2014 Soul EX+ and I borrow it all the time to haul stuff. Would be really easy if you have kids, especially with child seats depending how old they are. I haven't driven the Turbo, but it seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. And you can get one for about $26,000 + tax.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #34
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
My first 3 cars were Japanese because I was worried about reliability. I never kept them long because they bored me. My 4th car was a VW and I got a 7 year warranty with it because I was paranoid. I'm about 2 years into ownership with zero issues.
As the saying goes, "the night is still young", my friend. My MkIV car has been nearly flawless for the first 3 years, and the MkV car totally flawless for the first 4 years or so. And then then little things start to creep up on you. And then they grow into bigger, more troublesome, and more $$$ things with higher frequency.

(You'll also learn to curse the German engineerers who designed things that require 2 hours to Re&Re instead of a 5 min quick swap.)

Still loved both cars, esp the MkIV, and I was glad to have owned & driven them. But their later years have been troublesome, time consuming, and $$$$, and I know I wouldn't want to go through the same thing again.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #35

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Leather seats burn my a$$ and thighs in the summer, and freezes them in the winter. Not sure why anyone would ever want leather seats in a car.
That's why Baby Jebus invented Heated and Cooled seats.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #36

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I bought my wife a new 2013 Elantra in 2012, no issues at all and she's put over 100K on it. We had to do the front brake pads and tires but that's all regular maintenance. For the price can't really go wrong, I'd buy another Hyundai.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #37
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

FWIW, Car and Driver has the following ratings:

Golf GTI: 5/5 stars
Elantra Sport (not GT): 3.5/5 stars
Civic HB: 5/5 stars

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...h-model-review

For me it's the Civic vs GTI. The Elantra is a good deal but I feel like it's not quite there yet. Not all that fun to drive, not much feel, plain interior, etc.

The Civic Touring looks pricey at $30k but it's well equipped. From my personal experience, the cargo room is large and practical, comparable to my RDX. The chassis is well sorted and it's a brand new design from Honda. Car and Driver managed 0.93g in a regular Civic hatchback sport with all season tires. Being a 1.5T that is relatlvely new, its tuning potential is not comparable to the GTI. But if all you need is 180whp stock with the potential of well over 200whp, the Civic HB is more than enough.

The GTI is the default go-to car for enthusiasts looking for an affordable but fun to drive HB. It's well built and perceived quality are high. With the DSG, it's also decently fast. At the price you are looking at, as you already pointed out, you do lose out quite a few features that are standard on the Civic Touring. Are you going to be okay with that for 8-10 years?
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #38
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I own a 2018 Elantra GT GLS, which is 1 trim level below the sport and I have to say this car is fun to drive. The sport has better rear suspension and more HP and torque, so I can only imagine it'd be even more of a blast to drive on that.

If you do go ahead and purchase an Elantra GT Turbo then I highly suggest you stay the fuck away from OpenRoad Hyundai on Boundary. Their sales manager is a lying sack of shit that made promises to me and then blatantly lied to my face after the fact.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

and just to throw in a few minor details;

GTI - Premium Fuel
Civic / Elantra - Regular Unleaded

That's like an additional $10-15 extra per fill up.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Have kids. Muddy shoes plus cloth don’t mix.
I have 2 kids....
and i use a Civic Type R to pick them up... in car seats..
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #41
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Chow View Post
and just to throw in a few minor details;

GTI - Premium Fuel
Civic / Elantra - Regular Unleaded

That's like an additional $10-15 extra per fill up.
if you go with the civic hb sport and higher... it is premium fuel

Last edited by oldsnail; 12-01-2017 at 09:43 AM.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #42
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Fun or Reliability

Choice is yours

I would choose GTI since I would want to mod it to stage 2 later in ownership probably. Plus German to me feels more premium and more stability. Yes it does come as a cost in parts and maintenance versus the Honda but that's something I'm willing to sacrifice for my own satisfaction
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #43
I STILL don't get it

I would say go for the GTI but I am a bit biased. I still currently own my MKV GTI which I bought brand new in 2007. No major problems but I have been very good at keeping up with maintenance and other things. Keep in mind as well as my car has been on an APR Stage 2+ tune for nearly 6 years without issue. The one thing that keeps me from replacing it is that even after 10 years of ownership the car is still holding together well and more importantly still very fun to drive .
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #44

Both trim in gti and civic sport that I want has “projector halogen” headlights. Are these HIDs. Or just regular amber headlights?
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #45
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Both trim in gti and civic sport that I want has “projector halogen” headlights. Are these HIDs. Or just regular amber headlights?
I would assume these are regular halogen bulbs, in a projector headlight. Unless otherwise it states Xenon or HID lights.

My old 2006 Subaru impreza had "Projector Halogen" headlights, and it was merely halogen bulbs in the projector.

I installed aftermarket HID's in my projector halogen headlights but had to adjust the angle to prevent blinding oncoming vehicles.

Check out youtube reviews:

Last edited by J-Chow; 12-02-2017 at 06:38 AM.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #46

2018 GTI will feature stock LED headlights
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
2018 GTI will feature stock LED headlights
Not in the base option that I want. Only in autobahn. Base gti is projector halogen.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #48
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,682 Times in 3,121 Posts
I love halogens. All the cars in my family are either xenon/HID/LED except my golf sportwagen. Hell, even the 2016 corolla i traded in for the sportwagen had LED lights.

NOT A BIG FAN of these bright ass lights. The cutoff areas are too apparent and its too easy to blind oncoming traffic. I find on the i5 and other highway driving that the halogens actually project further as it disperses light without the glare or super apparent cutoff areas.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #49

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Maybe buy used.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...394644484.html
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Bro, didn't you hear their engine breaks apart every 2000 kms? Lol

https://jalopnik.com/why-so-many-for...out-1820280550