REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
donjalapeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Guadalajara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked 5,332 Times in 1,186 Posts
Civic Hatch is the best out of the 3............
Advertisement
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #52
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,911
Thanked 21,485 Times in 4,492 Posts
I owned a GTI from when it was 3 years old CPO, to it being 6 years old. I slammed it, did a shitty job of changing the oil on time, redlined it constantly.
I never spent a penny on it other than oil changes, gas and mods. It was a great car as far as reliability goes. The vw reliability issues are greatly exaggerated when it comes to their newer models. It was the mk4 that fucked everything up for their reputation, and any passat ever made.
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #53
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
oldsnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4,193
Thanked 376 Times in 181 Posts
I am pretty sure the SPORT TOURING has LED's.
My CTR has them.. and all the aesthetics are based from the touring.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #54
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: No.
Posts: 25,433
Thanked 7,220 Times in 2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
any passat ever made.
LOL @ Passat.
__________________
Posted from my Nokia E71
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 4,153
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I owned a GTI from when it was 3 years old CPO, to it being 6 years old. I slammed it, did a shitty job of changing the oil on time, redlined it constantly.

I never spent a penny on it other than oil changes, gas and mods. It was a great car as far as reliability goes. The vw reliability issues are greatly exaggerated when it comes to their newer models. It was the mk4 that fucked everything up for their reputation, and any passat ever made.
Which gen of GTI was it? Within my realm of experience, I seem to recall that the MkIII cars with the 2.slow engine is generally quite reliable. The engine, in particular, was basically bulletproof.

I should also add that my MkIV and V cars never left me stranded either. Limp modes, yes. Stranded -- never. Also, the worst the cars have ever done to me was 3 or 4 unscheduled repairs / breakdowns within a calender year. For someone who is accustomed to Japanese reliability, that is quite a difference, esp when each repair was notably more $$$$ than Japanese repairs. But for a German / Euro car, perhaps they aren't so out of the norm?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #56
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 19,190
Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,063 Posts
limp mode
mechanically anything needing more than the fluids and wear & tear is not worth owning to me...leasing may be
if you don't mind selling your car after warranty expires and taking the significant depreciation, more power to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
If you want reliability rankings, go to Consumer Reports
yes and no..i think there's merit in consulting a car forum...CR is far from not being biased either (they released a definitive recommendation before a new product launched based on a previous-gen track record)

You just have to assess each forum posts...people saying their cars are flawless after only 2 maybe 3 years should be taken with a grain of salt.

It would be more meaningful to find out from owners with the same platform but going back 5 years+. For the MK7 GTI look for problems in the MK3 A3 going back to 2012-2013 since it's the same platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
buddy hooned it into a ditch...5k fix on a 50k car becomes a rebuilt?
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #57
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,640
Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
buddy hooned it into a ditch...5k fix on a 50k car becomes a rebuilt?
"With 2,3L engine 350 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque this car eats DIRT all day long."

fixed
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
Manic!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 11,996
Thanked 4,706 Times in 2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

buddy hooned it into a ditch...5k fix on a 50k car becomes a rebuilt?
Did not even notice it was a rebuild.
__________________
I don't need an amplifier I'm already big, best on any track call me the Stig - Shizzo

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #59
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,911
Thanked 21,485 Times in 4,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Which gen of GTI was it? Within my realm of experience, I seem to recall that the MkIII cars with the 2.slow engine is generally quite reliable. The engine, in particular, was basically bulletproof.

I should also add that my MkIV and V cars never left me stranded either. Limp modes, yes. Stranded -- never. Also, the worst the cars have ever done to me was 3 or 4 unscheduled repairs / breakdowns within a calender year. For someone who is accustomed to Japanese reliability, that is quite a difference, esp when each repair was notably more $$$$ than Japanese repairs. But for a German / Euro car, perhaps they aren't so out of the norm?
I had a mk5. It was a rad car. Its hard to say I miss it with the M3 replacing it, but I certainly remember it fondly.
DSC_0432 by Chris West, on Flickr
__________________
98 technoviolet M3/2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net