REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Can someone recommend a psychologist?

RS,

I'm looking for a counsellor. I find that i've become very snappy lately. Someone will do something and it'll just get on my nerves or someone will ask me something and i'll perceive the question as stupid and I feel I reply in a condescending tone.

I'm not sure if I have always been like this or if I have just recently started being like this. All I know is, I've noticed this about myself in the last couple of months.

Generally, I wouldn't want to waste my money, because I talked to some friends and they told me that i'm not that bad and while I can be short sometimes, when they're around me, they don't notice that i'm a complete a-hole or anything.

But, I just feel like a psychologist can help me figure out of I actually do have something going on.

That and the fact that I have $1000 coverage for a psychologist, I figure I might as well try it out.

I heard of Jericho counselling over the radio, but the reviews are pretty bad, so i'm just wondering if anyone on here has a recommendation or experience with one.

Thanks

edit: it needs to be a registered psychologist, not psychiatrist. Benefits only cover a registered psychologist.
Advertisement

Last edited by PeanutButter; 12-01-2017 at 02:27 PM.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
left a thanks for trying to better yourself
hope it goes well
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Is Clinical Counselling also covered on your plan? I can refer you to the clinic I work at if it does. Good on you for taking a proactive approach to your situation. My wife once in a while goes as well for simple things such as stress from the daily grind of everyday life.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Yes I second Twitchy. Good for you.
I hope you get a good one.
Have you taken a look at Get Help | Here to Help ? you can call a crisis line even if you're not in immediate crisis and need some advice. Theres some other options on that page as well.
Or you can get a referral from your family doctor/GP?
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
I went to dr. Rami Nader for a while. Nice guy, helped me be a little more self aware. It’s very slow moving though. He specifically focuses on anxiety and depression, but although they often come together my experiences were only with the former.
Serious question though. How are your eating habits? Alcohol?
After I made some adjustments to those, my fuse got longer and my anxiety lowered substantially.
As said, good on you for acknowledging that you have been feeling a bit off.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #6

Try hot yoga. Serious. Also if you're currently not a very active person, try to exercise more or find a hobby that keeps you active. Basketball and just running every week keeps me in a good mood.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I've heard with counsellors etc you need to find one you jive with. I'm sure this is the same with a psychologist. You need to feel comfortable and open up.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
Mental health is really important to any person.

I can recommend Dr. Joseph Chun Wearn Tham. -a caring, empathetic psychiatrist I talked to him many times through a mutual friend that I have with the good doctor.

He has the patience to explain to people what they are going through in terms of mental health issues.

-good ratings on this site too:

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratin...couver-BC.html
Old 12-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Is Clinical Counselling also covered on your plan? I can refer you to the clinic I work at if it does. Good on you for taking a proactive approach to your situation. My wife once in a while goes as well for simple things such as stress from the daily grind of everyday life.
Unfortunately, it's not covered under my plan. It's only a registered psychologist. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I went to dr. Rami Nader for a while. Nice guy, helped me be a little more self aware. It’s very slow moving though. He specifically focuses on anxiety and depression, but although they often come together my experiences were only with the former.
Serious question though. How are your eating habits? Alcohol?
After I made some adjustments to those, my fuse got longer and my anxiety lowered substantially.
As said, good on you for acknowledging that you have been feeling a bit off.
Hmm, I eat pretty healthy I feel. Toast and a banana for breakfast, salads for lunch, dinners are pretty clean, weekends I may have fast food.
I socially drink alcohol, so maybe once a month and it's only a 2-3 drinks total.

I guess it's because i'm at a transition point in my life right now, so things may be affecting me more than they normally would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Try hot yoga. Serious. Also if you're currently not a very active person, try to exercise more or find a hobby that keeps you active. Basketball and just running every week keeps me in a good mood.
Thanks for the tips. I work out 2-3 times per week and I don't like hot yoga as I tried it before. The issue was I found I was losing too much weight doing it, so I stopped it. Though, it was nice being one of the only guys in the class, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Mental health is really important to any person.

I can recommend Dr. Joseph Chun Wearn Tham. -a caring, empathetic psychiatrist I talked to him many times through a mutual friend that I have with the good doctor.

He has the patience to explain to people what they are going through in terms of mental health issues.

-good ratings on this site too:

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratin...couver-BC.html
Thanks for the referral, but i'm looking for a psychologist as a psychiatrist isn't covered under my plan.

---

Also, thanks for the support RS. Overall, I feel like i'm a pretty happy guy, it's just something feels off. I'm not sure if it's because i'm getting older or I maybe I expect to be something, i'm not really sure. I'm just wanting to see if a professional can maybe help figure it out.

I don't think i'm depressed and I definitely don't have suicidal thoughts, if anyone is worried about that. I just figured I would try something different.

When it's the same ol thing every day/week, things can get stale, so hopefully I can get out of the funk i'm in. Or maybe i'm not in a funk? lol, who knows. I think I found someone, so i'm waiting to hear back.

Thanks again RS.

ps. i'm surprised the trolls haven't come out, but I guess people (even the crazy RS members) don't mess around with mental health
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Have you checked with your employer regarding an "employee assistance program"? Counsellors are available thru the EAP program, and it's free, as long as you're still employed by the employer.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
interesting,you work out 2-3 times per week...i always feel more balanced out after kicking my ass in the gym and feeling that natural high of finishing the workout.

have you tried walking in our natural parks with the fresh air?...unloads my mind also,no headphones on but hearing nature is good.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

If I don't have coverage with my employer, is this covered by the basic health coverage? I've been thinking about seeing one also as my mental health is at its lowest and I'm struggling dealing with it myself. But I'm hesitant about how I will afford the sessions. Is there anybody that is aware of how this works?
milkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I've heard with counsellors etc you need to find one you jive with. I'm sure this is the same with a psychologist. You need to feel comfortable and open up.
This.

A long time ago, I was having difficulties with my parents. I felt that the first person I saw wasn't listening to a word I was saying. The second person I saw was much better and I actually felt like things were getting better. If it doesn't feel natural/normal in your interactions, you need to find someone else. You won't open up to someone and figure things out otherwise.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
interesting,you work out 2-3 times per week...i always feel more balanced out after kicking my ass in the gym and feeling that natural high of finishing the workout.

have you tried walking in our natural parks with the fresh air?...unloads my mind also,no headphones on but hearing nature is good.
Oh, I feel great after I workout, I feel great during my workouts, i'm not out of shape by any means, I would say i'm a pretty good athlete.

I don't normally walk outside or in parks, I don't like walking. I like hiking, but it's a terrible season for hiking right now.

That's why I think it's something else going on in my life.
I mean, I have a pretty good job and I have a good group of friends.

Maybe it's the weather? I never thought SAD could be a thing, maybe it's that?

I think that's why I think I need to talk to someone. I don't even know what I would talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkStar View Post
If I don't have coverage with my employer, is this covered by the basic health coverage? I've been thinking about seeing one also as my mental health is at its lowest and I'm struggling dealing with it myself. But I'm hesitant about how I will afford the sessions. Is there anybody that is aware of how this works?
I found this online for you to check out..

Please note that the following free counselling options listed below typically have waitlists. Some may require a referral. These free services are often provided by supervised Master of Counselling students completing their practicum.

Free Counselling in Vancouver, BC
Scarfe Free Counselling Clinic at UBC
Adults, students, and children over age 10.
Scarfe Free Counselling Clinic | Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, and Special Education

Little Mountain Neighbourhood House’s Family Support Program
Youth, adults and seniors
604-879-7104, Little Mountain Neighbourhood House | neighbour helping neighbour

City University Community Clinic at Broadway Youth Resource Centre (BYRC)
Free for youth (15 to 24) through the Youth Counselling Clinic. May also be free for adults but this is unclear.
604-709-5729, cityucc@gmail.com, Broadway Youth Resource Centre (BYRC) | PCRS

SAFER Counselling Service - Suicide Attempt Follow Up Education and Research
Offers counselling for individuals with suicide risk and supports family and friends concerned about their loved ones.
604-675-3985, http://vch.eduhealth.ca/PDFs/GV/GV.150.W629.pdf
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm curious, how do you know your mental health is really low? What kind of symptoms are you feeling?

I'm just trying to see if your experience is similar to mine.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I'm curious, how do you know your mental health is really low? What kind of symptoms are you feeling?

Hey Peanut! I know you were asking Milk but Ive had mental health probs growing up so Ive been to all kinds of counsellors, psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and psychologists. I didnt refer one because therapy never worked for me, i found it to be more enabling than problem solving personally.

I have extreme anxiety linked to my medical condition, and previous to that I battled with depression in and out since I was about 14. My mom stopped working at that time due to her own mental disabilities, so i believe that was my trigger as she was home more and she took her frustrations out on me. I found that whenever I experience things that are similar to my past, having to do with my mom/family or with failed friendships i show more signs of having low mental health.

1. Im angry. Im only 5'2 but i am filled with rage. I used to get beat by my parents sometimes up to 6 hrs and my first relationship i was violently abused. So i will fight anyone - doesnt matter if youre a 200+ lb 6 foot+ dude. I dont fight girls on the basis that I know I have it in me to kill them - luckily I think girls have a radar for this kind of this and they generally know who not to mess with. I will attack and i will not stop until you are on the ground unconscious. I stopped clubbing because I used to get into fights at Caprice or Foggy Dew where guys would push me. My outlet for this now is wrestling and MMA lol.
2. I cant handle being in the dark - i feel like i cant breathe or im being suffocated.
3. I sleep....ALOT. Like ive been known to sleep for 16+ hours when Im going through something.
4. Low energy - i can barely stand doing basic things aka taking a shower, going to work, doing chores.
5. I can fluctuate from eating a lot to eating nothing at all for extended periods of time. I find my choices in food can help identify this sooner. I crave carbs/sweets when im sad.
6. I become annoyingly pessimistic and skeptical of everyone + everything.
7. I lose interest in a lot of things. My attention span gets to goldfish rate. I cant finish listening to 1 whole song or watch 1 whole episode or movie on Netflix.
8. I pull away from friends and family - im naturally an introverted person but I will straight up ignore people for months when Im going thru something, im unable to hold a conversation genuinely.
9. I cry easily and randomly out of frustration.
10. I have suicidal tendencies when I get into some deep shit. My mom told me once when i was 14 shed be happier if i was dead... So i tried to off myself. So now when I have a thought like that cross my mind, i go immediately to the hospital and get some help.
11. I used to abuse substances. Alcohol in my early/mid 20s and recreational drugs. I had a very high tolerance for M and coke. This was probably the most hidden part of my episodes. I dont act different when Im fucked up but i did feel a numbness/escape so thats why I was doing it. Mostly when I did coke - i would clean my house. I never did anything crazy lol it was just something i was exposed to. I have done scary amounts though and I am so glad I dont do it anymore. I was known as the one to call when you wanted to go dt and let loose lmao. This stopped when I got roofied at the beginning of March 2016. Nothing happened, my friends took care of me, made sure I got home but I have no memory at all from that night at 11pm-3pm the next day. I think after that something switched in me, like hey you were lucky this time...but what if youre not the next? So now I cant even finish a drink at a wedding type of thing. I can take a couple sips but its reluctantly and i dont really enjoy it. I miss partying sometimes..i miss being the fun friend instead of the sober friend lol.

Ive been on all kinds of antidepressants, tranquilizers, sleep aids. For me I found they didnt work. What did help me is just keeping track of my moods and behaviours. When I feel off, i keep a journal. I invested a lot into personal development, went to the library and camped in the self help section, i went to development retreats, etc.
My true healing came from within, i wish therapy would have helped me but for some reason it never stuck. I also researched a lot of things, Universal Truths, spirituality, past lives, memory regression, etc. And it helped me to expand and improve my mindset drastically.

This is all very personal stuff but I hope people can respect im being open about this in an effort to help.
I hope you can get something out of this, i know what youre going through is not as extreme but at least you kinda know what to look for

Last edited by MSREE; 12-01-2017 at 09:38 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

Just being self aware and knowing how your body and mind usually regulates. Difficulty concentrating, decreased energy, no appetite, sleeping in, not being able to sleep, no interest in anything, anxious to name a few off my head. Is there any way to see a private practice where as basic coverage covers a part of it and you pay the remaining? I used to goto physio and it was cover by my basic cover from the government and I only had to pay $15 per appointment. Is there such a thing? Maybe because I was still under 18? I feel like I should reserve those free ones for people in the community that are in more of need than me.

Holy MSREE, it felt like you just typed what I'm going through exactly. That's me to a tee, expect for the suicidal thoughts. I'm at that point where you were in the library in the self help section, except I'm on a youtube binge. Any title that I see that can relate or I think that would help me Im watching, listening and reading.

Last edited by milkStar; 12-01-2017 at 09:51 PM.
milkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
I STILL don't get it

^ Milk Ive never had to pay for it. But when I seek help I go to the hospital directly and they direct me to the psych ward. The last time I went was Jan cuz I was dealing with my secondary anxiety from my medical condition.. Im 27 rn. You can get held for a time until the psychiatrist can see you or even overnight if they end up going home. Psychiatrist will give a script for meds and send you off if you are not in immediate danger of suicide. And then they will recommend a counsellor or some sort and its always been free for me.

If you dont go after 90 days i think they close out your file until next time.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #19
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Just being self aware and knowing how your body and mind usually regulates. Difficulty concentrating, decreased energy, no appetite, sleeping in, not being able to sleep, no interest in anything, anxious to name a few off my head. Is there any way to see a private practice where as basic coverage covers a part of it and you pay the remaining? I used to goto physio and it was cover by my basic cover from the government and I only had to pay $15 per appointment. Is there such a thing? Maybe because I was still under 18? I feel like I should reserve those free ones for people in the community that are in more of need than me.

Holy MSREE, it felt like you just typed what I'm going through exactly. That's me to a tee, expect for the suicidal thoughts. I'm at that point where you were in the library in the self help section, except I'm on a youtube binge. Any title that I see that can relate or I think that would help me Im watching, listening and reading.
I can put together a small list of some stuff that helped me if youre interested! Just PM me if you want!
Old 12-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
First of all, I would like to know how you self-diagnosed yourself and determined that you needed counselling and/or to see a psychiatrist? Do you have any kind of medical certifications? Did you simply notice that you've been snappy and thought to yourself, "Oh fuck, I need counselling. Something's wrong with me." That's just being self-aware, unless there are voices in your head telling you to punch the next dog you see on the street.

Secondly, have you seen your family doctor? You may want to start there before you and every arm-chair psychiatrist here on Revscene (fucking REVSCENE for crying out loud!) encourages you to do something you may or may not need. Each and every dumbass here on this forum is retarded in one way or another, so don't always listen to the Internet. Some of the dumbest morons are here on Revscene.

Third - Have any of your friends or family told you to fuck off or have distanced themselves away from you?

Last but not least, are you a guy or girl? Because that is bothering the hell out of me to the point where I need some counselling.

Here's a reality check - You may just be a fucking asshole, that's all. There's nothing wrong with that.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #21
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
replying in a condescending tone, like how most people reply to their parents when they ask technology questions?

i duno, i think its pretty normal to think people are stupid. until you can imagine your 90 year old grandma in their place asking you the same question, then suddenly you're all nice and shit cuz they're old and u feel like they need help.

it's lack of empathy. lol it's even lack of sympathy actually. but more so empathy.

yes, they are retarded, thats why they ask those questions. cuz they truly don't know. and they're retarded in the way that they duno how to find the answer themselves either.

what if it were a full on real retarded handicapped person asking you? or a child. suddenly you speak like you're speaking to a puppy dog. all slow and cute and drawing shit out in crayons. if you still find yourself with a condescending tone of voice talking to a mentally handicapped person or child. then you've got real problems.

other than that, you're probably just being an asshole and just need to watch yourself. its ok being an asshole till you meet a bigger stronger meaner asshole who breaks your legs and puts you in your place.

i am an asshole sometimes. but i try not to be anymore. too many arguments and waste of time. this aint the stone age where i can just kill whoever annoys me. there are bigger people with bigger guns around. it's sometimes better just everyone being friends. lol. that's a very primitive way to put it.

basically u wanna be a condescending asshole cuz its a form of bullying almost. you wanna make them feel fucking stupid and it makes u feel good and right. but its a pathetic form of bullying cuz you're not actually beating them up or killing them. so what's the real point LOL. you don't really win at the end. you just feel angry. and they just go off and find someone else better to ask the question and you lose some reputation.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 12-02-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
First of all, I would like to know how you self-diagnosed yourself and determined that you needed counselling and/or to see a psychiatrist? Do you have any kind of medical certifications? Did you simply notice that you've been snappy and thought to yourself, "Oh fuck, I need counselling. Something's wrong with me." That's just being self-aware, unless there are voices in your head telling you to punch the next dog you see on the street.
OP did not try to self-diagnose
one does not need a medical degree to seek professional help
actually I wish everyone with behavioural issues could at least be self-aware of it...after longs days I can be snappy and I don't even realize it until I get called out
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
OP did not try to self-diagnose
one does not need a medical degree to seek professional help
actually I wish everyone with behavioural issues could at least be self-aware of it...after longs days I can be snappy and I don't even realize it until I get called out
Clearly, you need help.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #24

Hmm. Turns out psychologists are in really high demand. The three that I thought would work out for me have 3month waiting lists.

Luckily, i'm not in dire need of a counsellor, but I wonder about those who are. Very interesting.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #25
I STILL don't get it

^ Usually the ones who are in immediate need whove experienced it before will know to go directly to an ER where theyll get placed in the psych ward for an evaluation. If your eval comes back as high risk/dangerous to others/suicidal thoughts you will get held in psych where youll get evaluated every day and theyll let you out once they feel confident youre more stable. A suicide hold is generally 72 hrs. If youre at risk for hurting others, they can and will hold you for up to 2-3 weeks. Even if you get sent home same day you go ER, youll get meds and youll get a referral where you can see a counsellor/psychologist/psychotherapist within generally a week or two.

If you reach out to a psychologist yourself and are basic in your enquiries - youre not deemed high risk so youre put into general public waiting period.