REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Subaru Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/subaru-tech-resources_315/)
-   -   Looking to buy a Subaru STI in the near future (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713983-looking-buy-subaru-sti-near-future.html)

M3E46Fanatic 12-21-2017 06:01 AM

Looking to buy a Subaru STI in the near future

Hello all,

As the snow has hit it has got me thinking that I need something a little more winter capable but yet still fun and sporty so I was thinking the Subaru STI would be the perfect winter car. I was looking to buy a later model between 04-06 years. I was wondering if anyone has any helpful advice when buying a used one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

hotong 12-21-2017 07:59 AM

Get it inspected you don't want ringland failure and read through this thread here:

Other The Used STi Buyer's Guide - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

neverLift 12-21-2017 10:26 AM

A compression test is highly recommended. Get the oil filter cut open to check for metal. Stock is almost always better for a car like an STi. If it has an intake, make sure it's been tuned. If you can get ahold of a Tactrix cable, pull a "Learning View" to see if the engine has had much knock/detonation.

TSS took care of inspections for me when I was looking for a Legacy 2.5GT wagon (similar shortblock with similar piston issues).

cheers

M3E46Fanatic 12-21-2017 11:46 AM

Thanks for the help! ideally I want one with lower kms and untouched with no mods but I know that's near impossible since younger kids get these cars and just want to get as much HP as they can. I've heard that the head gaskets on these things go if not taken care off. Im honestly just looking for something winter capable and reliable as well as some power to have a little fun

Traum 12-21-2017 12:34 PM

If you're thinking of Subarus, Eric @ HBL Autosports in Richmond is the shop you want to know. He is definitely one of the most knowledgable person / shops in the LM as far as Subies are concerned.

bigzz786786 12-21-2017 01:32 PM

^+1 definitely get a full inspection, compression and leakdown test, while its open might as well replace all spark plugs, do diff fluid change, transfer case fluid change, brake fluid, transmission and transmission filter change, hot coolent flush and oil change

M3E46Fanatic 12-21-2017 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the help guys it is much appreciated. I love these cars and from talking to people and reading forums everyone says they are amazing to drive and reliable (if taken care of properly) but it's hard to find one in good condition since everyone beats the shit out of them. Nonetheless I am hopefull I will come across a nice one within the next little while.

neverLift 12-21-2017 05:56 PM

Just have patience and be prepared to walk away, even after investing a couple hundred in a car for inspection/testing. It's not worth the headache, unless you're looking for a project/engine building experience.

It took me a few months to find a manual Legacy GT wagon (~2000 in North America), I ended up passing on several cars before finding the right one. One was in fantastic shape, well maintained, low kms, original owner, but then it ended up having some rod knock and TSS found tons of metal in the oil filter.

cheers

M3E46Fanatic 12-21-2017 06:07 PM

I'm really in no rush and I'm aiming to buy one in the summer or fall anyways. I want to make sure I find the right one in the right condition, not going to throw money at anything. They are pretty rare cars so I'm not sure how picky I can be but we will see.

Nabatron 12-22-2017 08:53 AM

My buddy Aaron who runs boost and barn does all my subbie mods he did my brembo swap on my wrx and he is going to put an LSD in it as well. He recently just finished my other buddies 16 sti built motor. He knows his shit that's for sure. Also if you need a tune I can send you to another guy who is legit as well.

bluejays 12-22-2017 11:44 AM

I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I was deadset on owning an sti. I didn't want to purchase brand new, so I spent months looking everywhere for a used sti and came up empty (couldn't find a well maintained one; money was never the issue). Eventually I broadened my searches and ended up with an evo x. If you're deadset on the sti make sure you get the compression and leakdown tests done as others have mentioned; if not, there are a lot of other similar cars you can explore. Happy searching!

vash13 12-22-2017 02:02 PM

Sorry to high jack thread a bit. I'm also looking into a sti as one of my options as a daily driver. 2016 and up is what I'm interested in. Any issues I need to look into for that Gen model.?

Nabatron 12-22-2017 03:15 PM

^most common issue is ringland failure. If you are buying this new you shouldn't really half to worry too much but I would still get it checked out.

M3E46Fanatic 12-22-2017 05:31 PM

ideally I'd love to get a 05 STI in rally blue but I think I might need to widen my search. I'm also interested in the 06 wrx. This car will just be my winter car as I am just looking for something all terrain capable. I don't really plan on modding it heavily but just a few things here and there. I think the STI fits perfectly for what I want, something snow capable as well as sporty but again I'm in no rush. I'm going to take my time and find the right one for me.