REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Subaru Tech Resources

Subaru Tech Resources All Subaru Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 12-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Looking to buy a Subaru STI in the near future

Hello all,

As the snow has hit it has got me thinking that I need something a little more winter capable but yet still fun and sporty so I was thinking the Subaru STI would be the perfect winter car. I was looking to buy a later model between 04-06 years. I was wondering if anyone has any helpful advice when buying a used one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement

Last edited by M3E46Fanatic; 12-21-2017 at 11:46 AM.
M3E46Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Get it inspected you don't want ringland failure and read through this thread here:

Other The Used STi Buyer's Guide - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

A compression test is highly recommended. Get the oil filter cut open to check for metal. Stock is almost always better for a car like an STi. If it has an intake, make sure it's been tuned. If you can get ahold of a Tactrix cable, pull a "Learning View" to see if the engine has had much knock/detonation.

TSS took care of inspections for me when I was looking for a Legacy 2.5GT wagon (similar shortblock with similar piston issues).

cheers
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks for the help! ideally I want one with lower kms and untouched with no mods but I know that's near impossible since younger kids get these cars and just want to get as much HP as they can. I've heard that the head gaskets on these things go if not taken care off. Im honestly just looking for something winter capable and reliable as well as some power to have a little fun
Old 12-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,460 Times in 2,598 Posts
If you're thinking of Subarus, Eric @ HBL Autosports in Richmond is the shop you want to know. He is definitely one of the most knowledgable person / shops in the LM as far as Subies are concerned.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
^+1 definitely get a full inspection, compression and leakdown test, while its open might as well replace all spark plugs, do diff fluid change, transfer case fluid change, brake fluid, transmission and transmission filter change, hot coolent flush and oil change
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks for all the help guys it is much appreciated. I love these cars and from talking to people and reading forums everyone says they are amazing to drive and reliable (if taken care of properly) but it's hard to find one in good condition since everyone beats the shit out of them. Nonetheless I am hopefull I will come across a nice one within the next little while.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

Just have patience and be prepared to walk away, even after investing a couple hundred in a car for inspection/testing. It's not worth the headache, unless you're looking for a project/engine building experience.

It took me a few months to find a manual Legacy GT wagon (~2000 in North America), I ended up passing on several cars before finding the right one. One was in fantastic shape, well maintained, low kms, original owner, but then it ended up having some rod knock and TSS found tons of metal in the oil filter.

cheers
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm really in no rush and I'm aiming to buy one in the summer or fall anyways. I want to make sure I find the right one in the right condition, not going to throw money at anything. They are pretty rare cars so I'm not sure how picky I can be but we will see.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

My buddy Aaron who runs boost and barn does all my subbie mods he did my brembo swap on my wrx and he is going to put an LSD in it as well. He recently just finished my other buddies 16 sti built motor. He knows his shit that's for sure. Also if you need a tune I can send you to another guy who is legit as well.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I was deadset on owning an sti. I didn't want to purchase brand new, so I spent months looking everywhere for a used sti and came up empty (couldn't find a well maintained one; money was never the issue). Eventually I broadened my searches and ended up with an evo x. If you're deadset on the sti make sure you get the compression and leakdown tests done as others have mentioned; if not, there are a lot of other similar cars you can explore. Happy searching!
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Sorry to high jack thread a bit. I'm also looking into a sti as one of my options as a daily driver. 2016 and up is what I'm interested in. Any issues I need to look into for that Gen model.?
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

^most common issue is ringland failure. If you are buying this new you shouldn't really half to worry too much but I would still get it checked out.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
I am Hook'd on RS

ideally I'd love to get a 05 STI in rally blue but I think I might need to widen my search. I'm also interested in the 06 wrx. This car will just be my winter car as I am just looking for something all terrain capable. I don't really plan on modding it heavily but just a few things here and there. I think the STI fits perfectly for what I want, something snow capable as well as sporty but again I'm in no rush. I'm going to take my time and find the right one for me.