REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
ALL OS: Intel processor design flaw - patch will impact performace 5 - 30%

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

Quote:
A fundamental design flaw in Intel's processor chips has forced a significant redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels to defang the chip-level security bug.

Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system. Meanwhile, Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday: these changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in November and December.

Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features – such as PCID – to reduce the performance hit. Your mileage may vary.

Similar operating systems, such as Apple's 64-bit macOS, will also need to be updated – the flaw is in the Intel x86-64 hardware, and it appears a microcode update can't address it. It has to be fixed in software at the OS level, or go buy a new processor without the design blunder.

Details of the vulnerability within Intel's silicon are under wraps: an embargo on the specifics is due to lift early this month, perhaps in time for Microsoft's Patch Tuesday next week. Indeed, patches for the Linux kernel are available for all to see but comments in the source code have been redacted to obfuscate the issue.

However, some details of the flaw have surfaced, and so this is what we know.

Impact
It is understood the bug is present in modern Intel processors produced in the past decade. It allows normal user programs – from database applications to JavaScript in web browsers – to discern to some extent the layout or contents of protected kernel memory areas.

The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers.

Whenever a running program needs to do anything useful – such as write to a file or open a network connection – it has to temporarily hand control of the processor to the kernel to carry out the job. To make the transition from user mode to kernel mode and back to user mode as fast and efficient as possible, the kernel is present in all processes' virtual memory address spaces, although it is invisible to these programs. When the kernel is needed, the program makes a system call, the processor switches to kernel mode and enters the kernel. When it is done, the CPU is told to switch back to user mode, and reenter the process. While in user mode, the kernel's code and data remains out of sight but present in the process's page tables.

Think of the kernel as God sitting on a cloud, looking down on Earth. It's there, and no normal being can see it, yet they can pray to it.

These KPTI patches move the kernel into a completely separate address space, so it's not just invisible to a running process, it's not even there at all. Really, this shouldn't be needed, but clearly there is a flaw in Intel's silicon that allows kernel access protections to be bypassed in some way.

The downside to this separation is that it is relatively expensive, time wise, to keep switching between two separate address spaces for every system call and for every interrupt from the hardware. These context switches do not happen instantly, and they force the processor to dump cached data and reload information from memory. This increases the kernel's overhead, and slows down the computer.

Your Intel-powered machine will run slower as a result.

How can this security hole be abused?
At best, the vulnerability could be leveraged by malware and hackers to more easily exploit other security bugs.

At worst, the hole could be abused by programs and logged-in users to read the contents of the kernel's memory. Suffice to say, this is not great. The kernel's memory space is hidden from user processes and programs because it may contain all sorts of secrets, such as passwords, login keys, files cached from disk, and so on. Imagine a piece of JavaScript running in a browser, or malicious software running on a shared public cloud server, able to sniff sensitive kernel-protected data.

Specifically, in terms of the best-case scenario, it is possible the bug could be abused to defeat KASLR: kernel address space layout randomization. This is a defense mechanism used by various operating systems to place components of the kernel in randomized locations in virtual memory. This mechanism can thwart attempts to abuse other bugs within the kernel: typically, exploit code – particularly return-oriented programming exploits – relies on reusing computer instructions in known locations in memory.

If you randomize the placing of the kernel's code in memory, exploits can't find the internal gadgets they need to fully compromise a system. The processor flaw could be potentially exploited to figure out where in memory the kernel has positioned its data and code, hence the flurry of software patching.

However, it may be that the vulnerability in Intel's chips is worse than the above mitigation bypass. In an email to the Linux kernel mailing list over Christmas, AMD said it is not affected. The wording of that message, though, rather gives the game away as to what the underlying cockup is:
AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against. The AMD microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a page fault.
A key word here is "speculative." Modern processors, like Intel's, perform speculative execution. In order to keep their internal pipelines primed with instructions to obey, the CPU cores try their best to guess what code is going to be run next, fetch it, and execute it.

It appears, from what AMD software engineer Tom Lendacky was suggesting above, that Intel's CPUs speculatively execute code potentially without performing security checks. It seems it may be possible to craft software in such a way that the processor starts executing an instruction that would normally be blocked – such as reading kernel memory from user mode – and completes that instruction before the privilege level check occurs.

That would allow ring-3-level user code to read ring-0-level kernel data. And that is not good.

The specifics of the vulnerability have yet to be confirmed, and this discussion of its severity is – aptly enough – speculation, but consider this: the changes to Linux and Windows are significant and are being pushed out at high speed. That suggests it's more serious than a KASLR bypass.

Also, the updates to separate kernel and user address spaces on Linux are based on a set of fixes dubbed the KAISER patches, which were created by eggheads at Graz University of Technology in Austria. These boffins discovered [PDF] it was possible to defeat KASLR by extracting memory layout information from the kernel in a side-channel attack on the CPU's virtual memory system. The team proposed splitting kernel and user spaces to prevent this information leak, and their research sparked this round of patching.

Their work was reviewed by Anders Fogh, who wrote this interesting blog post in July. That article described his attempts to read kernel memory from user mode by abusing speculative execution. Although Fogh was unable to come up with any working proof-of-concept code, he noted:
My results demonstrate that speculative execution does indeed continue despite violations of the isolation between kernel mode and user mode.
It appears the KAISER work is related to Fogh's research, and as well as developing a practical means to break KASLR by abusing virtual memory layouts, the team may have somehow proved Fogh right – that speculative execution on Intel x86 chips can be exploited to access kernel memory.

Shared systems
The bug will impact big-name cloud computing environments including Amazon EC2, Microsoft Azure, and Google Compute Engine, said a software developer blogging as Python Sweetness in this heavily shared and tweeted article on Monday:
There is presently an embargoed security bug impacting apparently all contemporary [Intel] CPU architectures that implement virtual memory, requiring hardware changes to fully resolve. Urgent development of a software mitigation is being done in the open and recently landed in the Linux kernel, and a similar mitigation began appearing in NT kernels in November. In the worst case the software fix causes huge slowdowns in typical workloads.

There are hints the attack impacts common virtualisation environments including Amazon EC2 and Google Compute Engine...
Microsoft's Azure cloud – which runs a lot of Linux as well as Windows – will undergo maintenance and reboots on January 10, presumably to roll out the above fixes.

Amazon Web Services also warned customers via email to expect a major security update to land on Friday this week, without going into details.

There were rumors of a severe hypervisor bug – possibly in Xen – doing the rounds at the end of 2017. It may be that this hardware flaw is that rumored bug: that hypervisors can be attacked via this kernel memory access cockup, and thus need to be patched, forcing a mass restart of guest virtual machines.

A spokesperson for Intel was not available for comment. ®

PS: It appears 64-bit ARM Linux kernels will also get a set of KAISER patches, completely splitting the kernel and user spaces, to block attempts to defeat KASLR. We'll be following up this week.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,307 Times in 2,514 Posts
Whatever scarce details that has been hinted, it does not sound good in any way at all.

It also doesn't say how far back into history the design flaw goes back to. Ivy Bridge? Sandy Bridge? Westmere? Nehalem? IIRC, given that Intel's fight back from the dead seems to have started way back with Core, I wouldn't be surprised if those are the first chips to be affected.

And just as importantly, which new gen of their CPUs will start featuring a proper hardware fix / new design to avoid this major security issue?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
i'll wait to sign up for the inevitable class action lawsuit.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
i'll wait to sign up for the inevitable class action lawsuit.
That's exactly my thinking as well, although in this case, I have mixed feelings about the purposes of a class action lawsuit for this particular incident.

On one hand, it isn't like Intel intentionally put the design flaw in there, with the intent to harm / sabotage their customers. Unlike VW, I'd hardly think they are trying to cheat in any sort of manner. Plus, it looks like they are actively working with their OS partners to address the issue. People make mistakes, and if the world starts penalizing people so heavily for honest mistakes, it does not bode well for anyone -- regular consumers or corporations alike -- at all.

On the other hand, it is entirely true that customers have been gipped. Many people (including 3rd party PC manufacturers) probably paid for an Intel CPU because of its benefits -- including performance -- over its AMD rival. I know I'd sure as heck not purchase my last 5+ Intel CPUs for the same money if it was 30% slower than it is now.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

^^^ lawyers will find a way.. .that's what they do.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

EDIT my 'in a nutshell' comment was covered above. i want a 30% refund!!!!!

Last edited by Acura604; 01-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
How far back are we talking? I recently switched to an older Intel setup, if the performance drops 30% I may as well go back to my old-old AMD setup.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

it says past decade. Argh and I literally just bought a new laptop with a kabylake-R chip too

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Wait for real sources to back up these claims. There are only a couple sites I'd trust to find out for sure, and "the register UK" is not one of them.

Here's tech report's take on the story (though it's not the same without Scott there). And Ars Technica. I'd wait until the NDA is lifted, and then go back to these sites, before freaking out about specific brands.

This 30% number is coming from a benchmark that literally does nothing but do a "worst case scenario" of what the fix does (has to do with constant reads of the kernel). Real world performance will depend on actual work being done, and it depends on how much the kernel is used. In that case, for people sitting there using their computers at home for typical daily stuff and gaming, it's probably more like 1-3% if that, but we'll have to wait and see.

There are actually two related vulnerabilities - one appears to only affect Intel, the other affects everything. Including ARM (found in mobile phones and tablets, the Switch, and everything else). Anyway the way the patches work will slow down both Intel and AMD, regardless of which exploit is being addressed. Linux will have the ability to turn it back off for AMD, but Windows won't (yet)

That Register story has everyone freaking out about Intel and 30%, which helps no one. You want to talk about an inevitable lawsuit, there's one Intel will actually be holding against them
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If the Linux guys are actually working on this, the problem should be pretty well defined already. These guys work in collaboration with others in an open source environment. They have no interest in keeping secrets.

Last edited by John; 01-03-2018 at 06:46 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
why do they even have NDA on these things
Spectre is a hardware vulnerability affecting all major CPUs under the Sun
tbh i'm surprised it took this long for an industry-wide fault to be revealed...the IT field has been around for generations
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #12

Intel Issues Meltdown, Spectre Patches For Newer CPUs

Quote:
Intel announced that it has already started issuing updates to five-year-old CPUs or newer, which should include the Ivy Bridge generation, which came out in 2012, and later. However, we know from the researchers who discovered Meltdown that the bug affects Intel CPUs at least as old as 2011, and potentially all the CPUs Intel has built since 1995, with a few exceptions.

The Google researchers also said that Spectre affects virtually all CPUs, including those from Intel, AMD, and ARM.
I guess I should be thankful that I am on an Ivy Bridge CPU? But there are obviously a few older computers at home that are still perfectly functional -- I think the oldest one is a Core 2 Duo. So they are left out in the dust even though they are still good for their intended purposes as mostly web serving and simple office application machines?

Smh...
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #13

no point panicking as an average user, because literally everyone's fucked
just back-up your critical data and store a copy offline
Old 01-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
In for class-action lawsuit
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

̶C̶o̶m̶b̶i̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶B̶i̶t̶c̶o̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶A̶M̶D̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶j̶o̶y̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶

It looks like AMD is not immune to Meltdown or Spectre. All the computers in my house are AMD-based, so I'm pretty pissed.

Last edited by OnTheRun; 01-09-2018 at 02:10 PM.
OnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #16

Spectre affects all modern ARM and x86 processors, AMD included
I can only think of Rasberry Pi and PowerPC platforms (old Macs and gaming consoles) are not affected
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Spectre affects all modern ARM and x86 processors, AMD included
I can only think of Rasberry Pi and PowerPC platforms (old Macs and gaming consoles) are not affected
You're right. I should have done a bit more research before running my mouth.

It looks like Microsoft is even stopping anti-Meltdown/Spectre patches for AMD processors, since such updates are accidentally bricking them.

I shudder to think about the mess facing Debian/Ubuntu, Arch, CentOS and other FOSS operating systems (which are fragmented and as such often lack the centralized updates of MS or Apple) in the years to come.
OnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

The AMD bricking is affecting Athalon 2 and Semperon CPUs.

Super old parts.

The performance hit is based on application as well, applications/programs that read/execute small files between CPU and memory are expected to be the most affected.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #19

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Intel should unlock all CPU, overclock should compensate the 30% different
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ LOL

THE DREAM! I guess all those K suffix CPUs were a waste of money if they do. I'd still welcome it though.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 AM   #21

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Well, if true, next generation Intel will release i7-9700 Extreme or i9-9700 with slightly higher clock speed
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote