REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
ICBC changing how many steps you get when you get in accident?

Quote:
As of May 6, 2018, if you have a -20 (or better) ranking on the CRS, and you get into an accident, you will drop 11 steps down to -9, instead of previously dropping only 3 steps.
Claim-rated scale prior to May 6, 2018
Claim-rated scale on or after May 6, 2018

Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

ICBC's slogan should be "LOL like you have a fucking choice, peasants."
I'd sign a petition to officially make it that.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Why don’t they just end it at step 15? The discount doesn’t change after that anyway and the end result if you are in an accident is you end up at step 9 no matter what.
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Just don't be "at fault"

drive defensively and this doesn't really matter.

I think it's a good thing, fuck all the retards who can't drive
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
Just don't be "at fault"

drive defensively and this doesn't really matter.

I think it's a good thing, fuck all the retards who can't drive
Uh... This change punishes those who drive well. Someone with -20 on the claim scale means they drove 10+ years without an accident.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

^ oh man, talk about fail....i apologize for my comprehension fail, you are right lol

But i still don't think it matters much, usually people who has gotten to -20, isn't really likely going to mess up more than once. so in a way, ICBC can filter through the bad ones right off the bat. Case in point: My mom qualifies for -20, but she isn't a good driver.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You can get a -20 rating without even driving a car for 10+ yrs. Then one day you decide to drive with no experience whatsoever in those 10+yrs and you get into an at fault accident. GG right there.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

What are the chances icbc going to raise the premiums another 6 percent this yr?
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

So you get 2 free accidents instead of 3 before it affects your rates. Not a big deal for me.

As long as they didn't get rid of the loophole where your second vehicle gets the full discount. I get a new car every 5 years anyways so if I find myself below the 43% discount, I'll time the new car purchase a month before my insurance expires. New car gets a new insurance policy with the full discount, transfer what's left of the old policy to my MR2T in the garage and let it expire.

Not sure if it still works tho. That's what happened when I bought my first new car 7 years ago. The new car got full insurance discount.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
You can get a -20 rating without even driving a car for 10+ yrs. Then one day you decide to drive with no experience whatsoever in those 10+yrs and you get into an at fault accident. GG right there.
you need at least 20 years of zero at-faults on your driving record to be at CSR -20

i'm surprised icbc is making this adjustment...there must be enough -20 motorists causing accidents to prompt them into this cost-saving move, I feel like there must be plenty of other easier ways to gouge us *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
My mom qualifies for -20, but she isn't a good driver.
she might not be good driver, but she hasn't caused any at-faults and costed icbc anything, if they cut back on rewarding her safe driving habits (or lack of driving?), whatever, but I better not see icbc execs getting more bonuses next year after this and the 6% rate hike
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
So you get 2 free accidents instead of 3 before it affects your rates. Not a big deal for me.

As long as they didn't get rid of the loophole where your second vehicle gets the full discount. I get a new car every 5 years anyways so if I find myself below the 43% discount, I'll time the new car purchase a month before my insurance expires. New car gets a new insurance policy with the full discount, transfer what's left of the old policy to my MR2T in the garage and let it expire.

Not sure if it still works tho. That's what happened when I bought my first new car 7 years ago. The new car got full insurance discount.
I don't see why this is a thing, maybe I misunderstand, but your second vehicle and any other vehicles owned by the same person should receive equal discount no matter what as it is technically the driver who is insured, not the vehicle.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:44 AM   #12
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
What are the chances icbc going to raise the premiums another 6 percent this yr?
Quite likely, I'd say. Remember that David Eby -- the provincial AG who is responsible for the ICBC portfolio -- has recently came out back in Nov to say that the Liberals have significantly downplayed / covered up the size of ICBC's deficit. Instead of the $11M that the Liberals have claimed, it was really more like $1B.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3863586/i...llion-dollars/

Following the report, many critics / analysts have said that ICBC is on the brink of bankruptcy now, and would be bankrupt in a few years if drastic measures are not taken to stem the $$$$ hemorrhaging.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
I don't see why this is a thing, maybe I misunderstand, but your second vehicle and any other vehicles owned by the same person should receive equal discount no matter what as it is technically the driver who is insured, not the vehicle.
Beats me, no idea how it works. Just saying that's what happened... lol

I had an accident when I was 19 in my parent's car. Slipped on a patch of ice and hit a tree at maybe 15kph. It was enough to write off that pos Plymouth Sundance. Dad had full roadstar so he just claimed it, didn't affect his rates.

When I bought my first car a few years later, I found that the accident followed me and I was at a surcharge. Don't see how that's fair double dipping into two policies for one accident but whatever.... I was working my way up to roadstar when I needed a new car. I bought a new car, started a new policy for the new car. I kept my old car insured so I can drive it for pleasure for the rest of the summer. The insurance agent told me the new policy has full roadstar discount while my other policy still had 3 years to go... I was surprised but I wasn't going to complain... lol

People used to buy scooters and transferring their tainted policies to that but that loophole has been closed. Probably because scooters are easy to buy and store. Insurance for a scooter is cheap, etc... Most people are not going to buy another car to pull this off but if you have a second car laying around, it's easy.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:43 AM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Beats me, no idea how it works. Just saying that's what happened... lol

I had an accident when I was 19 in my parent's car. Slipped on a patch of ice and hit a tree at maybe 15kph. It was enough to write off that pos Plymouth Sundance. Dad had full roadstar so he just claimed it, didn't affect his rates.

When I bought my first car a few years later, I found that the accident followed me and I was at a surcharge. Don't see how that's fair double dipping into two policies for one accident but whatever.... I was working my way up to roadstar when I needed a new car. I bought a new car, started a new policy for the new car. I kept my old car insured so I can drive it for pleasure for the rest of the summer. The insurance agent told me the new policy has full roadstar discount while my other policy still had 3 years to go... I was surprised but I wasn't going to complain... lol

People used to buy scooters and transferring their tainted policies to that but that loophole has been closed. Probably because scooters are easy to buy and store. Insurance for a scooter is cheap, etc... Most people are not going to buy another car to pull this off but if you have a second car laying around, it's easy.
I am quite certain that with the new system implemented as of November 2016, the system follows your name, then searches for all cars linked to your name, rather than the old system which searches the vehicle and then your name shows up. Because of this, all rates are the same no matter which vehicle you insure.
BrokenEuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:49 AM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I had a similar situation where the claim followed the plate. I had an at fault with my father's car. When the plate was turned in it became a hanging claim. I was the next to get new plates and the claim attached to my plate.

I had two cars insured each at a different discount.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:15 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
icbc seems to have shitty record keeping?

they claim I first got my license 14 months after I passed my knowledge test, when I know I took it a week after I turned 16

doesn't matter much now because CRS is still the same
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 AM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
High as Fuck.

It's ICBC. When do they NOT increase premiums

Actually better question is, what are the chances ICBC will lower the premiums
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #18
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
^ Exactly. We will all pay the price of increased claims (poor driving habits) and ballooning repair costs.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
How ICBC works (or at least used to work), is that your second vehicle gets the maximum potential discount you would have had assuming no accidents.

This, as far as I understand, is supposed to be a benefit because if you're insuring 2 cars under your name as the PO, you can't drive both cars simultaneously, so they are essentially giving you break by not charging you the penalty twice.

Let's say you've been driving for 10 years, so you're supposed to be at -43%, but because of some accidents, you're currently at -10%

The 'loophole' works like this:
- Insure a crappy car A at your current rate based on accidents. On that car, you only get a -10% discount
- Then insure your actual car B, you'll get -43% because it's your second insured car.
- Cancel the insurance on car A, and car B will still have -43%.

This is only useful if you have or get another car to insure each your before your primary car insurance comes up, a winter beater for example. It's also only worth doing if there is a bigger discrepancy between your potential rate and your actual current rate
Old 01-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
that is how people used to do it - only they went a step further and car A was a shitty scooter that may or may not even exist beyond a box of parts and a regi form

I think this loophole is now closed - and I know that it should be anyway.

What difference does it make if you have 1 or a hundred cars. Punish those with poor driving records and reward those that are excellent. Simple.

Hell - take it a pipe-dream further. Let me buy insurance for myself, and then I'll pay a much smaller per plate fee for each of my cars. I can only drive one at at time, and if I lend it out to somebody, they shouldn't be risking my insurance anyway. The most expensive part of my driving hobby is the 3-4 plates I have running at a time.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
That's why I told everyone to get their L the day they hit 16. It's b/s, but since they can't prove one way or the other that you've been driving they just assume you have been and haven't been getting into any accidents.

[quote=The Producer;8881825]that is how people used to do it - only they went a step further and car A was a shitty scooter that may or may not even exist beyond a box of parts and a regi form/QUOTE]

I believe the guy who bought the frame from the dirtbike I was parting out did this, all he cared about was that the VIN was clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
Hell - take it a pipe-dream further. Let me buy insurance for myself, and then I'll pay a much smaller per plate fee for each of my cars. I can only drive one at at time, and if I lend it out to somebody, they shouldn't be risking my insurance anyway. The most expensive part of my driving hobby is the 3-4 plates I have running at a time.
That really would be the dream, I know some countries do this. It's especially annoying with a project vehicle that you need to test. This spring I *thought* I had my car ready to go, plated it, pulled out of the driveway... and had problems that kept it down for another few weeks.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
What difference does it make if you have 1 or a hundred cars. Punish those with poor driving records and reward those that are excellent. Simple.
They do that with penalty points. Those target only the drivers with poor records.

Not everything is so cut and dry though. Someone can get tickets all the time and never cause an accident. On the flipside, someone who follows the law and gets rear ended all the time because they full stop at stop signs and they stop for yellows. Which one costs ICBC more money?
Old 01-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
You're in an accident - you're either at fault (or partially) or you aren't. If you are - you should pay more insurance. Nobody disagrees with that.

My thread tangent is that I just think it's bogus that additional cars aren't insured at a lesser rate. Of course they still need coverage, theft etc, but a huge portion of our insurance rates is to cover the drivers liability. - ICBC takes 3-4x as much of that rate percentage from me (insure 3-4 cars at a time) as they do from my neighbour for example. Not to mention I basically only drive for pleasure compared to some commuters doing 200 kms a day.

ahhh pipedreams
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
They do that with penalty points. Those target only the drivers with poor records.

Not everything is so cut and dry though. Someone can get tickets all the time and never cause an accident. On the flipside, someone who follows the law and gets rear ended all the time because they full stop at stop signs and they stop for yellows. Which one costs ICBC more money?
Are you insinuating it would be one's fault if one got rear-ended for stopping at a stop sign?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Are you insinuating it would be one's fault if they got rear-ended for stopping at a stop sign?
Not at all