REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-06-2018, 03:17 AM   #1
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Anyone take advantage of the government EV discounts before?

Long story short, I'm looking to buy a new car for my parents. Their 2004 Mazda 6 is a pos. Transmission keeps throwing codes, airbag sensor broke and the part is no longer produced, needs new brakes, headliner is peeling, etc..

Currently looking at the Hyundai Ioniq plug in hybrid. From my research, the BC CEV program will give me $2500 and the Scrap it program is for full electric.

The full electric Ioniq will give me a bigger discount but I plan to take the car back after 5 years when they're too old to drive and use it as my daily. I do a lot of long road trips so a full electric won't do it for me. Driving a hybrid will be my penance for my current 5.0 Genesis... lol

Any other government incentives I don't know about? If there isn't much, I may as well just lease them an Accent...
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I've taken advantage of the full CEV for BC $5000.00 twice. I also took advantage of the, then, $6000.00, Scrap it, as well. It was used to get rid of a van that was probably worth no more than 500 bucks. Leaking oil, CEL, dying transmission, etc. Combined with the CEV for BC and a further discount at the dealership, I got $14,000.00 off the MSRP for a full electric vehicle. I've been driving EV cars for three years now. That HOV pass, no gas, no oil changes, lots of torque, etc. makes up for the range issues.

There are other options on the market besides full electric. Electric vehicles with a range extender (boost engine). Technically, not a hybrid. Chevy Volt, not Bolt, for example.......... or the BMW i3, which uses a gas powered mini engine that charges the battery when needed to extend the range. They get the full $5000.00

https://www.cevforbc.ca/sites/defaul...2017_12_12.pdf

The scrap it program for 2018 will start up on the 15th of January. Last year, it started out at $3000.00 for a vehicle, but jumped to twice that amount near the end of the year. I jumped at the opportunity before they ran out of funds. Just got in before the allotted grants were used up.

I'm waiting to see what the 2018 Nissan Leaf has to offer. People have put deposits down on them, but I want to actually drive one first. The range on full electrics are getting better all the time. Elon's Model 3 is great and all, but the rest of the manufacturers are catching up.

The 2018 Leaf will get around 125 mile range, but in 2019, it'll be increased to 225 mile range on a single charge.

https://jalopnik.com/long-range-niss...les-1821768212

The beauty with the Leaf is that Nissan has a large network of charging stations and have partnerships with other networks across NA.

If anyone is interested in getting a fully electric car, get one with a quick charge port. My iMiEV, has both level 2 and a quick charge port. I go to the quick charge station at Hasting Park and get 80% charge in 20 minutes (for free until the City of Vancouver decides to charge). I also have a 240 volt, level 2 charging station installed at home.

Sadly, my electric is in storage. I don't have snows on them, so driving the winter beater for now (transferred insurance over). Besides, going to trade her in, along with my other ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) cars for something better......... hurry up, Elon. Better yet, hurry up CAD, so I can afford a Model X, lol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 01-06-2018 at 04:52 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

MG1 the real MVP
Old 01-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
saw on the ioniq in-person yesterday, yuck
but an affordable Tesla in the next few years still seems like a pipe dream
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
MG1

The practical side of me says wait for the Model 3. The other side says, fuck it, you only die once............ go for the Model S.

I'll probably settle for the Leaf until the Model 3 becomes available in five years, lol.

It's really a shame Honda doesn't produce anything worthwhile in the electric platform.

However................. https://www.acura.com/rlx

This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
The practical side of me says wait for the Model 3. The other side says, fuck it, you only die once............ go for the Model S.

I'll probably settle for the Leaf until the Model 3 becomes available in five years, lol.

It's really a shame Honda doesn't produce anything worthwhile in the electric platform.

However................. https://www.acura.com/rlx
Look on the main page for our review of the RLX in a few weeks.

side note if you have any questions on it lmk!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

do the Leafs (NHL spelling) have batteries that degrade very fast? I understand there's a new model with sig better range but their resale values are atrocious

here's a 2 year old 160 km range that helped you take a massive deprecation hit even sans govt rebates

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/...421615774.html
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
MG1

Resale value is pretty bad and that's one of the negatives, but I went into it fully aware of that fact. Most electric vehicles have an 8 year battery warranty, but like anything else, shit happens. When I take the vehicles in for their yearly checkups, I make sure to ask for a battery condition printout. About seven pages full of data. Voltage reading on each cell and so far, all are well within acceptable levels. I'm pretty sold on electric cars. I'm not the type to sit back and see what others do.......... I'm a pioneer/risk taker, gulolol.

When I'm at charging stations and meet other electric car owners, it's like a brotherhood (of nerds). Anyway, to each their own..........

It's not for everyone.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Hmmm... damn, looks like all I can get is $2500 off. That's not worth it for me to get any kind of hybrid/electric vehicle.

When I initially tossed around the idea, I was thinking I can get $12k off a plug in hybrid. That would bring it down to around the price of an Elantra. With only $2500 off, I may as well just get the Elantra. I'm not spending $40k just so they can drive 5000km per year.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

The honda clarity also qualifies for 5k..
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
MG is into cars so I’m sure he can get used to it pretty easy etc. but for some older people, parents etc. you probably want to give EV’s a really good test drive before buying

I had a family friends model S for a week and man it feels fucking weirddddd coming from a regular combustion vehicle. My friends who I picked up had never been in one before and all felt slight motion sickness, although I was probably booting it around pretty good lol
Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
MG1

One foot driving takes getting used to. You set brake regeneration on max and you can, on some vehicles, let it come to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal. On a BMW i3, the brake lights come on even though you don't touch the brake pedal - a good thing. On mine, the brake lights only come on when you step on the brake pedal. I can see me getting rear ended one day.

The one other thing that's dangerous is the vehicle's quiet operation. Old people are the worst. They can't hear well to begin with. This one old guy turned and walked right into my car. He hit me, not the other way around, lol. Some electric vehicles have a built-in noise thing. I have one on mine, but pedestrians can barely hear it. I'm going to rig up an exhaust sound bite of an old school muscle car on mine, lol.

Nerdy, dweeby car that sounds like a 68 Mustang.

Just for fun.......

Last edited by MG1; 01-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Looks like most PHEV get $2500 and BEV get $5000

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Now more players entered the EV games, who is taking advantage?

Nissan Leaf
Hyundai Ionic
Hyundai Kona Electric
Kia e-Niro
Tesla Model 3 mid range
VW eGolf
BMW i3

I am leaning toward the leaf as it seems to be the best bang for the buck.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I took advantage of the $5000 discount when I bought my Tesla Model 3 Long Range. It was very easy as it was taken care of at the dealership. The scrap it program didn't work for me though as my old car was worth more than what I would have been given for it. Overall, it was a great decision to go full electric and I would have a very hard time going back to gas. Yes, it's more money upfront than an ICE vehicle but not having to pay for gas helps to offset the cost quite a lot.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: