REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Better tires in front or rear?

I recently had to change my tires and I just chose some cheapo Argus Zenna UHP all seasons for my fronts because I needed something quick.

I then find some Michilen PSS that fit my rears for a good price and installed those.

My question is will the difference in tires be a big issue in the future?
Should the better tires be in the rear?

I drive a 350z for reference.
Advertisement
SituAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,179 Posts
I'd want the best tires on the front if I had to pick, turning and stopping are pretty important.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,111 Times in 923 Posts
^ I know, that's my intuitive answer ... front, but I've read many articles that says the better tires should be placed in the rear.

Tire Rack Tech Info - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=52
Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However, in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 13,237 Times in 3,436 Posts
First of all, you should not be mixing all season tires and UHP summer tires. Just like how you shouldn’t mix a/s and winters.

Second, normally you want the best tires in the rear. Braking distance and cornering you can control by having shitty front tires AND not driving like a twat. If you have bald front tires, in a corner you will understeer. Very predictable and easy to save by adjusting driving style. Bald rear tires and good fronts cause oversteer, which is way harder for the average driver to catch and control.

But, in this situation and assuming you drive well (since you have a 350 and are on a car forum) id put the PSS in the front and the el cheapo in the rear.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,385 Times in 429 Posts
Normally you will want to run your better tires on the rear for above reasons. I personally run better tires on the front.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,638 Times in 478 Posts
im starting to need new tires too. one rainy night i was driving and my rear spin while making a left turn and it slip a bit until i let go of the accelerator. its a rwd btw.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote