REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 01-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
Need advice on a suspension job

Im getting progressive rate lowering springs made since there are no low cost aftermarket options for my car (limited production vehicle and the only coilovers available are 4 grand). So the company thats doing it requires my stock springs to ensure perfect compatibility and fit, and then they will send both my stock springs and the new lowering springs back to me. The problem is that it's a minimum of 2 weeks turnaround time.

My question is, once i remove the stock springs, do i have to keep the car on jack stands for that long of a time and will the suspension be ok for that long?

Is there any way of putting the wheels back on and leaving it parked for that long? Again, its a limited production vehicle so putting other springs on it while i send out my stock ones are not an option.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
It should be fine, the only weight that would be on things is the hubs which is minimal. If you put the wheels on without springs it'll go down until something bottoms out, which will be hard on your shocks/struts.

If you're really worried about it then measure the distance from the centre of the hub to the fender lip directly above it at the front and rear. Once you have everything out, jack up the suspension to roughly that same distance and hold it up with more jack stands or blocks of wood. Or use shoelaces to hold it up.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
^awesome, thanks for the heads up. Now the only issue is where i can store my vehicle. Will a repair shop usually charge a storage fee? Because it'll be minimum 2 weeks turnaround time. So most likely 3 weeks.

Are there any recommendations for where i should take my vehicle to have the springs removed, store the vehicle and install the new springs?
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
They should factor it into the price, if you tell them about the time upfront when you get a quote there shouldn't be any surprises.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote