REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Importing a Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R

Hey guys,

Im going through the final stages of purchasing my S15 Spec R from Japan and I was looking to start planning costs once it's arrived here.

Has anyone imported a Nissan Silvia S15 before? I'd like to find out how much you paid at the border & Broker (GST, PST and Duty). Im unsure if the PST and duty is calculated from the sale price e.g what I bought it for at the auctions in Japan or from a market evaluation, ICBC and my broker are telling me conflicting info.

Im aware of the other charges as well but feel free to post them if you know them, just in case ive missed something.

Im looking to make a guide once its here to help more people import and this info will help a bunch!

Cheers
Advertisement
Nerdmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I made some calls and spoke to ICBC several times and got some numbers. If anyone is interested in importing a Spec R, this is what you can run from:

1. Purchase price of the car including commission, shipping and fees in Japan – 12,500CAD
2. Customs broker in BC – 262.5CAD incl GST
3. Customs Excise fee – 100CAD
4. Customs Duties – 6.1% of sale price (9100CAD) – 555CAD
5. Customs GST – 5% of sale price (9100CAD) – 455CAD
6. PST – 7% of Sale price (9100CAD) - 637CAD
7. Insurance & on-road costs – 2000CAD
8. CFIA inspection fee – 45.15CAD incl GST
9. Dock Charges - 125CAD
10. Temporary Operators Permit (from ICBC to drive from the dock to home) - 40CAD for 2 days
11. Gas to drive it home – 60CAD
12. Work to safety the car – 1500CAD
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
You can also declare the vehicle yourself to CBSA on Main St & Terminal once it arrives and the CFIA Invasive Species has passed.

Then you will pay the customs, and GST at the counter and youre on your way.
Pick it up at the dock yourself once you've cleared yourself and set an appointment at the Port. Make sure you have your temp operators permit of course and go get your out of province inspection done within the same day to make use of the permit (technically has to be on the way home so to speak). Insure it after and you're done (this is where you'll pay the PST).

This will save you from having to pay a local broker to do essentially all the paper pushing.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
^ At the time I imported my car, I didn't have any time to take off work to self-clear, and my import broker included pushing all the paperwork through. There is a guy on this side that will pick up your car from port, run it through inspection (repairs are extra cost), show that inspection is done to ICBC, and delivers for $500. Car moves around town on his own RHD flatbed that has a deck specifically for lowered cars.

Saved me a huge pain in the ass trying to self-clear, find a shop, and take time off work to deal with all the shit.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
You can also declare the vehicle yourself to CBSA on Main St & Terminal once it arrives and the CFIA Invasive Species has passed.

Then you will pay the customs, and GST at the counter and youre on your way.
Pick it up at the dock yourself once you've cleared yourself and set an appointment at the Port. Make sure you have your temp operators permit of course and go get your out of province inspection done within the same day to make use of the permit (technically has to be on the way home so to speak). Insure it after and you're done (this is where you'll pay the PST).

This will save you from having to pay a local broker to do essentially all the paper pushing.
Yeah, good point. I was originally going to do this but I honestly cant be f***ed now. I'll be sure to get the temp permit ahead of time for sure.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
^ At the time I imported my car, I didn't have any time to take off work to self-clear, and my import broker included pushing all the paperwork through. There is a guy on this side that will pick up your car from port, run it through inspection (repairs are extra cost), show that inspection is done to ICBC, and delivers for $500. Car moves around town on his own RHD flatbed that has a deck specifically for lowered cars.

Saved me a huge pain in the ass trying to self-clear, find a shop, and take time off work to deal with all the shit.
Sounds like a sweet deal! I already have planned to just get the car home first and wait til winter is over (Plus repair costs, PST and the inspection is going to be a couple of grand I dont have at the moment).

I'll be taking it to Nickel Automotive unless told otherwise!?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
What importer did you use? I'd like to know how the OOP inspection goes with nickel automotive, I'm looking to import an S15 as well
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I ended up getting a S15 spec R this summer but luckily for me it was from ontario. However, doing the OOP was simple and I was out the door ready to insure it instantly.

The OOP is very basic, pretty stupid IMO. Just another cash grab.

As for Nickel Automotive, I brought my S15 to Nick for repairs. He knows his stuff about these cars and really taught me a lot. Highly recommended. He has a pretty cool S14 drift car outside his shop as well.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
What importer did you use? I'd like to know how the OOP inspection goes with nickel automotive, I'm looking to import an S15 as well
Im using a friend from New Zealand (Where im from). He runs an exporting business in Japan and normally only imports to Aus, UK and NZ but figured he'd give it a go for Canada. I can put you in touch if you like?

Hopefully it should go well, I know Nick personally and I know he doesnt f%%K around so I dont foresee any issues!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post

Ben from Fraser Valley Imports
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #11
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockoff View Post
Ben from Fraser Valley Imports
Bingo. Ben really does know his stuff as well.