REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Travel/Trip stories (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714154-travel-trip-stories.html)

ae101 01-19-2018 06:09 AM

Travel/Trip stories

I can't believe there isn't a travel story thread (I kinda like listening to travel stories, as long as they aren't too crazy/unbelievable)

Spoiler!

cdizzle_996 01-19-2018 07:13 AM

Got herpes in Thailand.

The end.

TOS'd 01-19-2018 07:30 AM

There are some travel stories in this thread: https://www.revscene.net/forums/7108...ling-solo.html

6793026 01-19-2018 08:16 AM

this thread is a bit better as it's not detailed in where u went or tips. Just pure stories.

1) Hobbies: I strongly suggest anyone here to pick up a hobby and go travel with it.
eg// scuba diving, latin dancing, cycling, rock, running.

I met 2 Russian girls salsa dancing when I was in Asia, became their tour guide and had a blast. Now I get a chance to go to Russia as my next go to place.

2) Hotels: First 3 things I go to into any hotel.
A) turn on air con (esp in Asia)
b) Turn on TV (news or sports cause you get home sick / have some background noise)
c) Check out the view
d) check out hte bathroom

I went to this rustic town in philippines; not knowing anything about it, I got my local guide to book me a place. (this was back in 2003)

Walk in. No Air-con, just a tiny fan. Then there was no TV. Pretty sure the window was shit too. Bathroom literally you sitting down on the bowl and a shower head was right above.

3) India. My dad always has a pen on his golf shirt pocket; a kid come up with a news paper and try to flick it off his chest (back in the days, it's very common and that's how they steal pens.) Kid wasn't smooth enough and my dad caught him in the nick of time. Was the only time we almost had something stolen.

blkgsr 01-19-2018 09:39 AM

wow.....these stories are lame

few off the top of my head:

- getting typhoid in Guatemala
- Medellin, Columbia...enough said
- camel safari in india
- tomorrowland in belgium
- hanging out a moving train in Myanmar over a famous bridge with about a 700' drop
- scuba diving with a whale shark in thailand
- diving in the galapagos

on and on

CivicBlues 01-19-2018 10:13 AM

Here's a travel story I wrote up a year ago. It has pictures too!

Umm...lets see what else. Just from the trip above:
- Clubbing in Moscow with a bunch of random Russians (girls and guys) my hostel mate picked up via Tinder

- Met a guy at a Moscow hostel and grabbed some food together . No even 2 weeks later, met the same guy in Beijing at a hostel and got to talking. We talked for about 30 minutes before we finally realized we had already met.

- Getting locked out of my Train compartment after drinking too late with others in a different car. Had to sleep in a spare bunk with no bedding for my first night. Learned the hard way to get back to my bed by 11pm.

Others:
- Clubbing in Amsterdam with a bunch of crazy German guys we just met. Told to shut up by some Dutch guy because we were being "too loud".

- Met another couple from Vancouver while in Halong Bay Vietnam. Proceeded to run into them again and again in Hoi An, Nha Trang, and Saigon.

- Got into a traffic accident in Indonesia while riding a rickshaw. GF sprained her shoulder and when a doctor came by and without examining her at all he wanted to inject her with some kind of muscle relaxant. Uhh...right..no thanks we'll take our chances.

- Sleeping in the Rajasthan Desert in India out in the open. What I thought sounded like ice crystals forming was actually a huge dung beetle trying to crawl up my ear

- Getting left behind by a bus while taking a long bathroom break in Turkey. GF FREAKED out (as anyone would) and had to beg the driver to turn back. Station police were called and I was running around like a mad man trying to find the bus.

- Getting Interrogated for 2 hours by Israeli border staff for having Malaysian ancestors. Durr..but they're Chinese dum dum!

- Trekked up to Machu Picchu for 4 days. Got back to my hostel and took the biggest shit of my life ever.

dapperfied 01-19-2018 11:04 AM

Went mother Russia, partied with russians. They called me "The Machine".

:lawl:

Euro7r 01-19-2018 11:58 AM

Was flying back to Vancouver from HK last year. When we were close to landing, we have to fill out the declaration cards. The lady beside me is a complete noob, didn't speak english nor understood jack, typical stupid mainlander that thinks they can get away without attempting to learn.

She asked me in mandarin if she can look at mines as she had no idea how to complete, I said okay since it doesn't affect me in my mind I thought. She filled it out on the french side then I quickly left the plane LOL-ing lol.

underscore 01-19-2018 12:26 PM

- Getting an intestinal infection on the morning of day 4 of 11 in Mexico, spending the rest of the time watching Mexican cable and using up a small forest worth of toilet paper, getting a bonus "excursion" to a private hospital at midnight on Feb 13-14 (happy valentines day sweetie!) for testing an an IV, then finally patching myself together enough to make it to the airport only to have my girlfriend (now wife) and her sister get sick in the airport to the point where Westjet had to kick them off the plane and put us up in a hotel for 2 days til we could get a new flight that bounced through Calgary. On top of it all when we checked in the guy just slapped the tags on whatever bags since we were all traveling together, so when we had to get off I had to describe our bags to the guys so they could pull our bags off the plane and not our friends.

I've got a funnier one about accidentally breaking in to someones condo at a ski hill that I'll type up later when I have some time.

pastarocket 01-19-2018 02:31 PM

-tonnes of interesting travel stories to share here:

First travel lesson: Never ever travel with a large group of seniors, unless your parents are paying for the trip.

This travel story was back in 2014 before I travelled only with le gf. I travelled with my parents and their twenty two senior friends across Europe for three weeks. It was a vacation consisting of a one week cruise from Venice, Italy, to Croatia (Dubrovnik, Splitt), Greece (Athens), and Ephesus, Turkey, followed by a two week land tour of Vienna, Austria, Prague, Czech Republic, Budapest, Hungary, and Plitvice Lakes national park in Croatia.

I can tell you right now that the overnight train trips in Italy and the Czech republic are full of shady passengers. For example, we were taking an overnight train from Italy to Prague. Five stowaways, Czech guys, sat in our seats even though we booked those seats in the train months before the trip. Of course, the guys pretend to not understand English even though we showed them our tickets.

Finally, we found one of the train staff who told the guys to leave the train at the next station in the middle of Czech countryside so that we can sit in our seats.

It was also a logistical nightmare when you need to help unload over twenty pieces of luggage in your party of twenty four people off the train in 3 minutes at each train station. All I can say is that seniors have the strength to move luggage but have slow hands.

The worst train ride was a brutal 6 hour train ride from Budapest, Hungary to Croatia. Why did it take six hours?? The train company was doing track maintenance throughout the day. The train operators had to get all the passengers to take two diesel buses and transfer to two different trains on other tracks in order to get to Croatia.

The worst part of that train trip were the pickpockets and thieves on that train from Hungary to Croatia. When we were sleeping inside our compartments, I noticed two Czech kids sliding open our compartment doors (doors do not lock) in order to jack the luggage which belonged to my parent's friends.

I was wearing sunglasses in order to block out the sunlight from the windows and didn't shave for three days. -tried to look as gangsta as I could to scare thieves. Then I looked at the Czech kids and yelled out in some German that I learned from a tour guide.

Those kids were about to grab the luggage when I yelled out "Bist Du Dumm?" (Beast do doom)

(Are you dumb??) I glared at the kids right away. They closed the sliding door of the other compartment and ran away. :lawl:

-best use of the German language in my life. :lawl:

The scariest story of my travels in Europe in those three weeks had to be the story of the one of the seniors who went missing for over six hours on one afternoon. We were in Prague for our first day. This particular senior, who we later found had a stroke just before going on this trip, went missing for over 6 hours.

Two of my Mom's friends decided to go to file missing person report at a police station. Other seniors decided to go out at night in the pouring rain to look for the missing lady.

They were yelling her name in Cantonese throughout that night on the streets hoping to find her.

Thank goodness that lady found her way back to the hotel. Two Czech locals who spoke English gave that lady directions to walk back to the hotel. Apparently, she forgot the hotel address and got lost while buying groceries. The Czech locals used their ipad and Google map to give directions to the lady and walk with her to our hotel.

Then two of the seniors had to go back to the Prague police station to cancel the missing person report.

The best stories about this European trip were about the hot Czech ladies in Prague.
Wow, this town is full of babes. FeelsGoodMan

One lady worked at a boutique in Prague. She was very easy on the eyes. She talked to me in broken English so I decided to chat with her while my parents and their friends were trying to bargain for prices on clothing. Veronika was the boutique staff's name.

Her best questions and funny stories about tourists were memorable:

Veronika: "Are you Japanese? We are trained to say Konnichi Wa to Asian tourists"
Veronika: "The only way that I can tell Asian tourists' in term of the country where they come from is by what they say. Thailand tourists always say "Ka ka, cup cup'. Japanese tourists are very polite. Chinese and Korean tourists are the loudest and rudest people that I met. Chinese tourists from North America use iPhone, and Asian tourists from Asia use Samsung phones. " :lawl:

I asked Veronika a few questions of my own. "Do you use Facebook?" "I can send you a friend request". She said "No, I have boyfriend". She was straightforward. I'll never forget her beautiful blue eyes and those huge hooters. :sweetjesus:

Obsideon 03-03-2018 11:29 PM

I'll share.

Road trip, 3 of us went strip club in Portland, met 2 rowdy cowboy looking dudes from Connecticut(?) and started buying each other shots. Then they got crazy and started slapping the strippers asses and shit, they got kicked out. They asked us to join with them to a "better" strip club... "umm sure why not".
Walked a few blocks down to another bar. Walked in and walked back out in a hurry, it was like a scene from Dawn 'till Dusk except instead of Salma Hayek it was some drugged out skin and bones chick on the stage.
We decided to walk back to the original place. This time Ukrainian guy comes up to us and says his goth chick friend thinks one of us is cute. We pound back a few more drinks.
The bar starts to close and he asks us to come over for some "tea and weed" (not sketch at all, lmao) but... ya... yolo? We said sure why not. We follow his cadillac to his house. We hang out in the kitchen then he unveils whole tray of weed like the holy grail, 16 different flavours in labeled bottles. Just then this Russian scarface looking motherfucker comes down the stairs in a bathrobe and it was that point we were like "I think we're gonna die here"... but he was actually pretty nice too, if a bit quiet. We smoked up, chilled, had some tea and left a few hours later.

tiger_handheld 03-04-2018 09:05 AM

in for the stories.

Hondaracer 03-04-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8883661)
- Getting an intestinal infection on the morning of day 4 of 11 in Mexico, spending the rest of the time watching Mexican cable and using up a small forest worth of toilet paper, getting a bonus "excursion" to a private hospital at midnight on Feb 13-14 (happy valentines day sweetie!) for testing an an IV, then finally patching myself together enough to make it to the airport only to have my girlfriend (now wife) and her sister get sick in the airport to the point where Westjet had to kick them off the plane and put us up in a hotel for 2 days til we could get a new flight that bounced through Calgary. On top of it all when we checked in the guy just slapped the tags on whatever bags since we were all traveling together, so when we had to get off I had to describe our bags to the guys so they could pull our bags off the plane and not our friends.

I've got a funnier one about accidentally breaking in to someones condo at a ski hill that I'll type up later when I have some time.

Had a similar story in Mehxico..

Went to an all inclusive in cabo during american spring break with 3 buddies

Made the typical mistake in probably drinking the most, or one of the most in my entire life on the first night, just absolutely shit faced, everything a blur a buddy and i hopped into a garden feature which was like 12 feet below the railing and we couldnt get out, so he had to kneel down and let me stand on his back then i somehow pulled him out blind drunk lol.. im like 6'0 220lbs hes like 5'8 150LBS lol..

Had a brand new iphone 5 at the time and my buddy who usually gets stupid when drunk begged me to borrow it to take pictures of some chicks.. i let him and when i woke up in the morning didnt have the phone lol.. luckily it was in his hotel room under the bed..

Fast forward a few nights and i made the mistake of eating Nigiri at the buffet.. next morning woke up and i was just fucked.. stomach was done like i could barely move.. buddies went out left me..

Managed to turn the TV on but i felt so shitty i couldnt even muster up enough strength to look for the remote other than swiping my arm around the blankets and bed..

I watched CNN for like 6 hours straight on coverage of the new pope.. i got to see the white smoke.. then the new pope come out.. lol fuck i felt like shit..

mikemhg 03-06-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8891574)
I'll share.

Road trip, 3 of us went strip club in Portland, met 2 rowdy cowboy looking dudes from Connecticut(?) and started buying each other shots. Then they got crazy and started slapping the strippers asses and shit, they got kicked out. They asked us to join with them to a "better" strip club... "umm sure why not".
Walked a few blocks down to another bar. Walked in and walked back out in a hurry, it was like a scene from Dawn 'till Dusk except instead of Salma Hayek it was some drugged out skin and bones chick on the stage.
We decided to walk back to the original place. This time Ukrainian guy comes up to us and says his goth chick friend thinks one of us is cute. We pound back a few more drinks.
The bar starts to close and he asks us to come over for some "tea and weed" (not sketch at all, lmao) but... ya... yolo? We said sure why not. We follow his cadillac to his house. We hang out in the kitchen then he unveils whole tray of weed like the holy grail, 16 different flavours in labeled bottles. Just then this Russian scarface looking motherfucker comes down the stairs in a bathrobe and it was that point we were like "I think we're gonna die here"... but he was actually pretty nice too, if a bit quiet. We smoked up, chilled, had some tea and left a few hours later.

was the strip club Casa Diablo?

subordinate 03-06-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8891995)
was the strip club Casa Diablo?

That...is an awesome club

Obsideon 03-06-2018 07:10 PM

The one we had fun at was Acropolis, and $7 sirloin lmao... I splurged and got the $9 ribeye. Apparently the club owner also owns a butcher farm hence the cheap steak. So... technically he runs 2 flesh markets :ifyouknow:

blkgsr 03-06-2018 08:40 PM

he owns his own ranch

Obsideon 04-29-2018 12:28 AM

Alright I got another one, a bit gross so you have been warned.

Food poisoning in Thailand.
We had a breakfast buffet inside our 5-star hotel. Beautiful day, suns out, guns out. (jk)
It was an outdoor buffet decked out with flowing white drapes, fancy shmancy. Food was average, basic American fare with a few Thai dishes, Tom Yum soup, etc. There was Bacon, eggs, mashed potato, etc ... got myself a heaping scoop of potato salad. It had a strong tinge of sourness... I thought it was "Thailand style" to maybe add a squirt of lime juice? In retrospect that was retarded.

Anyway.

Evening rolls along, we were strolling through Jungceylon Shopping Center, did a bit of googling and found that they supposedly had a topnotch steakhouse in the mall. Sure why not. Sat down, looked through the menu, decided it was gonna be my "splurge" meal of the trip since we spent a few nights eating at the local food stalls which were ridiculously cheap (like 12 CENTS for a chicken skewer and $1.50 for a noodle soup-cheap).
Decided on the Kobe Waygu steak. After we ordered I politely asked the server to please turn down the air-con as the breeze was kind of chilly. All my friends looked at me with WTF faces. It was like 35 degrees and there was no air con. Then I started to sweat but my arms were cool to the touch. Uh-Oh.

Quickly excused myself to go to find a washroom. Shit was about to get real, very soon.
Started to get nauseous. I saw a mall security and asked him where the closest washroom was, I guess he could see I was pale and not looking so well. He took me to a staff washroom in the back...
OH FUCK MY FACE!!!... the washroom was the size of a porta-potty, it was hot like a sauna in there with next to no ventilation, it smelled like cigarettes, piss and poo.
I was pretty disorientated, didn't know if I needed to diarrhea more or puke first. The heat and smell was overwhelming... I'll spare you the details of that lol.

Moving on, finally got out of the washroom. Slowly walked back to the restaurant, everyone was super worried, said I was gone almost an hour and a couple of them went to look for me but couldn't find me in any of the washrooms in the mall. Clearly I lost track of time in that hyperbolic-shit chamber. My $200 lump of meat was sitting there in front of my seat. Cold and hard. Tossed it.

Told my friends to finish their meals, I was gonna go home first. Made another huge mistake of getting into a Tuk-Tuk... it was a fucking deathmobile on wheels. I got in the first one I could flag down. You know that feeling when you are sick as balls, your senses seem to be heightened, and made you more sick? So this fucking Tuk-tuk starts blasting EDM and there's like a thousand LED's blinking to like a rave party, top that with the bumpy ass ride and no windows so you can smell all the dirt and every other vehicles exhaust fumes... fuck I puked again.

What... a... day.
Slept the entire next day and luckily recovered to enjoy the rest of the trip.

Ch28 05-03-2018 12:52 AM

My gf is in Thailand right now and she's pretty sure she got food poisoning from a papaya salad she ate.

Been shitting and vomiting for the past 2 days and she's just starting to slowly get back to normal.

I absolutely hate papayas, so I kind of made a joke about that's why I never eat them lol

blkgsr 05-03-2018 06:18 AM

tell her to go to 7-11 and get the vitamin C electrolyte packets, they're like 10 baht

Spoon 05-03-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8900612)
Quickly excused myself to go to find a washroom. Shit was about to get real, very soon.

I fail to understand how a restaurant serving $200 steaks don't have a washroom of their own. :yuno:

Obsideon 05-03-2018 06:04 PM

Cuz, Thailand lol.

Mr.Money 05-03-2018 07:16 PM

what food standards does Thailand have? lol....i remember watching a talk show and the celebrity guest wanted to be brave and try some street stall food..

again he got bad food poisoning.

Mikoyan 05-03-2018 07:25 PM

That reminds me, need to take my 2nd dose of dukoral.

twitchyzero 05-04-2018 12:03 AM

after my Malaysia visit, a blister pack of Imodium is now in my emergency kit