REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Porsche vs BMW vs Kia?

Kind of surprised but not really. Good to see more companies making sports cars.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

If I was shopping for that class of car, the Stinger would be at the top of the list. But then I'm the kind of guy who's more impressed with what a car can do than the badge it wears.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I was so tempted to trade in my Mustang for the Stinger GT, but when the idea was brought up with the wife,

I was so shot down
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Neat, but I wouldn't go boasting about beating a 640 considering that is bmw's base model 6 series while Kia is comparing it to their larger motor. I checked out their website and it is pretty braggy about that fact. Top of the class vs top of the class m6 (even the 650) vs the gt... lmao not even a comparison.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
^uh theyre all twin turbo 6 cyl. how is that not a valid comparison

wtf would you compare a kia stinger with a 650i or m6 when those are 3-4x the cost of the kia.
vitaminG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
I mean it's a Kia ad basically, but they do have a compelling argument looking it from the price tag

keep in mind the F06 is over 5 years old, the Panamera? almost a decade-old platform.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
The cars they are comparing it to don’t really seem like direct comparisons no?

Feels like you’d be looking more at like 335/435 with the BMW and other cars like S5 etc

Someone buying a panamera or even the gran could probably isnt in the market for the Kia
Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
If Kia wants to attract a higher performance customer base, they need to spin off a different brand ... eg. Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus. It looks like they put together a very solid performing sport sedan but the problem will be the marketing, I think. Even Hyundai is heading in that direction with their Genesis line.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
^uh theyre all twin turbo 6 cyl. how is that not a valid comparison

wtf would you compare a kia stinger with a 650i or m6 when those are 3-4x the cost of the kia.
And you think a 640 is even close to the same price? A 640 starts at low $80's before any option packages. The Kia, mid 40's and they probably will rebate the shit out of the car.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

These are going to be bargains when they hit the used market.
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
The only reason I can't see this car succeeding is because it's a Kia, unfortunately the great majority of people who will spend $45-50k or more on a car want a "brand" that says "I spent $45-50k or more on my car". Same reason people buy CLA-class Benzes with halogen headlights for almost $40k, certainly not because of the luxury or performance but because of the 3-pointed star in front.

Personally, as someone who is seriously considering this car in 3-4 years after all the issues have made themselves known to early adopters, I couldn't care less about the brand.... IMO BMW/Mercedes/Audi isn't as special to me considering I've seen them in Lower Mainland high school parking with N's on the back lol.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramser57 View Post
These are going to be bargains when they hit the used market.
what happened to the gen coupe?
I remember it was all the rage and supposedly to be a bargain in a few years, now I barely see any on the road.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 AM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
If Kia wants to attract a higher performance customer base, they need to spin off a different brand ... eg. Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus. It looks like they put together a very solid performing sport sedan but the problem will be the marketing, I think. Even Hyundai is heading in that direction with their Genesis line.
Kia is a subbrand, under Hyundai Motors.. Dont think they need a 4th brand...
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 AM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what happened to the gen coupe?
Discontinued.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:23 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,082 Times in 961 Posts
I would go for the Ford Taurus SHO.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Kia is a subbrand, under Hyundai Motors.. Dont think they need a 4th brand...
Hyundai is the parent company with a partial stake, much like how Subaru is not considered to be a Toyota even if it is their parent company

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Discontinued.
yeah just last year, but I barely see them on the road any more

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-21-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #17

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Hyundai is the parent company with a partial stake, much like how Subaru is not considered to be a Toyota even if it is their parent company

yeah just last year, but I barely see them on the road any more
I believe the gen coupe is discontinued to move to the new Genesis brand. Who knows when they will release a coupe though for the Genesis brand.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Well, shame it doesn't come in stick shift option. And it's a Sedan.

Make a stick shift Coupe version and I may just look at it in the future.

Meanwhile, I think a muscle/pony is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I believe the gen coupe is discontinued to move to the new Genesis brand. Who knows when they will release a coupe though for the Genesis brand.
I actually considered a Genesis Coupe when I was car shopping. I much prefer the look of the older ones, but they are a bit on the weaker side in terms of power(210 HP), and the only one I can find in stick shift didn't have very good interior.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #19
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Neat, but I wouldn't go boasting about beating a 640 considering that is bmw's base model 6 series while Kia is comparing it to their larger motor. I checked out their website and it is pretty braggy about that fact. Top of the class vs top of the class m6 (even the 650) vs the gt... lmao not even a comparison.
So you gotta spend even more to beat a Kia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
The only reason I can't see this car succeeding is because it's a Kia, unfortunately the great majority of people who will spend $45-50k or more on a car want a "brand" that says "I spent $45-50k or more on my car". Same reason people buy CLA-class Benzes with halogen headlights for almost $40k, certainly not because of the luxury or performance but because of the 3-pointed star in front.

Personally, as someone who is seriously considering this car in 3-4 years after all the issues have made themselves known to early adopters, I couldn't care less about the brand.... IMO BMW/Mercedes/Audi isn't as special to me considering I've seen them in Lower Mainland high school parking with N's on the back lol.
Yup, exactly what I was trying to say earlier. I cross shopped the E class, 5 series and CTS but ended up with a Genesis Sedan. Gave me much better value and they're not common. 420hp V8, AWD, HUD and the list goes on... how much more do I have to spend on a BMW to get all that?

The only gripe I had was the 2015 predated when Hyundai put Android Auto in all their cars so that's the one thing I really want. Can't complain about the service either, they've been great. I mentioned the steering wheel had a little squeek while turning right and I just wanted them to put some lube on it.... what did they do? Gave me a new steering wheel...
Old 01-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #20

aftermarket headuni t won't fit?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i think this car will not hold value
Just look at the genesis.
in 5 years, this car will be worth 10k
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #22
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,792 Times in 3,326 Posts
^ good beater for 10k.

twin turbo V6 !!!!

wrong cars to compare. the Stinger is more inline with the 435i / 440i Gran coupe and the S5 sport back

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #23
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
So you gotta spend even more to beat a Kia?
That's the problem with this mindset. It's not beating the BMW. You are buying a car for more than swerving past bad Richmond drivers. You buy a car for the whole package. When it comes to everything you get, it's like comparing a rotten apple to an amazing orange. The fit, finish, road feel and overall subtleties in the engineering don't even compare.

Sure, they took a big heavy bmw with it's smallest motor and beat it when throwing weight side to side. However, on every single other aspect of the car the KIA loses. As it has been already said, the 4 series GC would be the better comparable car. Even the pricing becomes more comparable and maybe KIA will even steal some BMW buyers from that segment. I'm willing to bet the Stinger would get rekt by the 4 series chasis though seeing as it is much more nimble than the 640.

To each their own though. You can all keep telling yourself people only buy a BMW, Audi and Mercedes for the badge. The reality is they are better cars plain and simple. This coming from a huge Japanese car enthusiast.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #24

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
That's the problem with this mindset. It's not beating the BMW. You are buying a car for more than swerving past bad Richmond drivers. You buy a car for the whole package. When it comes to everything you get, it's like comparing a rotten apple to an amazing orange. The fit, finish, road feel and overall subtleties in the engineering don't even compare.

Sure, they took a big heavy bmw with it's smallest motor and beat it when throwing weight side to side. However, on every single other aspect of the car the KIA loses. As it has been already said, the 4 series GC would be the better comparable car. Even the pricing becomes more comparable and maybe KIA will even steal some BMW buyers from that segment. I'm willing to bet the Stinger would get rekt by the 4 series chasis though seeing as it is much more nimble than the 640.

To each their own though. You can all keep telling yourself people only buy a BMW, Audi and Mercedes for the badge. The reality is they are better cars plain and simple. This coming from a huge Japanese car enthusiast.
That's the problem with this mindset. Have you even had seat time in a stinger? You're coming off as someone whos spent a few days in one.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
I STILL don't get it

I've spent my fair share of time in every manufacturers cars. Enough to know KIA doesn't stand with German cars in terms of quality. I don't even know how this is up for discussion. Any car enthusiast would never even begin to try and argue this fact. At least any that have actually had quality seat time in all these brands vehicles.