REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Compact "Luxury" SUV - opinions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714206-compact-luxury-suv-opinions.html)

J-Chow 01-28-2018 04:56 PM

Compact "Luxury" SUV - opinions

Hey RS,

I'm currently reading online reviews for luxury compact SUVs, as my mother insists on upgrading her 09' Honda CR-V, but wanted to know if any fellow RS members / friends / family own any of the following vehicles and what their opinions are of them:

All vehicles would be base trim, 2017 and up models.

1) Audi Q5

2) Lexus NX

3) Acura RDX

4) Volvo XC 60 / 40

5) Infiniti QX50

Price range around 50,000-60,000 tax in.

All she's requesting are the extra 'safety features' ie; blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, etc... :okay:

No need for sporty trim or upgraded engines.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Energy 01-28-2018 05:26 PM

Haven't driven any of those except the Lexus but the Volvos really appeal to me now. Fresh design and I believe they still prioritize safety.

Autorice 01-28-2018 05:52 PM

I'm glad Mercedes or BMW isn't on the list. I have both and won't recommend them if you want to keep them longer than 5 years.

kkttsang 01-28-2018 06:28 PM

Can you wait for the 2019 Rdx and the 2019 qx50 both new design and looks great.

CorneringArtist 01-28-2018 06:58 PM

Having worked at Lexus, the NX's engine felt quite wheezy to me, but otherwise it's a reasonably decent package on the inside.

As a left field option, have a peek at the Alfa Stelvio as well. I'm not putting much faith in the build quality, but price-wise it falls right in line with your mother's budget.

Manic! 01-28-2018 07:09 PM

Jaguar E pace should be out any day now. Looking to get one for my Mom.

https://www.jaguar.ca/en/all-models/e-pace/index.html

tofu1413 01-28-2018 07:27 PM

I got a dozen of 2017’ “left over” brand new X3s within that price range at work... will be an m sport 4 cylinder model if mom wants...

Harvey Specter 01-28-2018 07:51 PM

Have you looked at the new X3? My parents just traded in their X5 for the new X3.

bcedhk 01-28-2018 07:57 PM

My family has the nx200t. I think it is one of the more senior friendly interiors. Meaning, the button orientation and overall tech is not overwhelming.

I agree that the engine is probably not the most powerful or fun, but it gets around the city/hwy just fine. Also, you can't beat Lexus reliability + build quality.

dapperfied 01-28-2018 07:58 PM

The new 4Runners looks pretty dope too

Bender Unit 01-28-2018 09:09 PM

Voting for Lexus NX as well.
My in-law own the NX F sport. Driving response is good. Enough modern techs.
Only negative is SMALL (Trunk space & Back seat)

bcrdukes 01-29-2018 06:31 AM

I had the opportunity to test drive the NX and overall, I quite liked it. As the others mentioned, the interior is small, but that applies to almost all Lexus models.

I managed to take the NX along with the sales and marketing rep from Lexus Canada to Whole Foods, and complained to them that the engine was lacked power. They had to remind me that we were in bumper to bumper traffic the entire time, but I insisted that I needed a twin turbo 500 AWHP. In the end, I passed on it because it didn't meet my more than realistic expectations. Not to mention, I couldn't pack the trunk and rear seats with enough organic produce and meats that cost an arm and a leg. Damn it, Lexus.

Edit: Was serious about liking the NX, and actually going to Whole Foods with the Lexus Canada sales and marketing reps. Was not serious about expecting it to be powered by a twin turbo 500AWHP engine.

Z3guy 01-29-2018 08:13 AM

If style and having something different matters to you, I would go XC 40 /60. I think Volvo is kicking some arse right now in the innovative design department. Better than Audi imo.....when my Audi Q3 is up, I am going to get the XC40.

supafamous 01-29-2018 09:52 AM

I looked at the Q5 and X3 a few weeks ago and have been doing research in this space lately.

The Q5 is really cramped compared to its competitors - it's as small or smaller than the X1. I crossed it off my list as soon as I sat in the back seat and test drove a A5 Sportback instead (roomier).

The X3 (M Sport model) was pretty nice - drove better than the 3 series wagon I also tried - the new chassis pays off, felt natural and nimble. Roomy enough. That said, if she likes her CR-V I think this won't be her style - it clearly drives like a German car (rolls down the road with heft).

Top of my list right now is the 2019 RDX - on paper it's everything I'd be interested in and I like how Hondas drive (light on their feet). If she can wait till July/Aug then worth waiting for it.

bcrdukes 01-29-2018 09:59 AM

+1 on the RDX

I normally don't like Acura, but they did a pretty good job on it.

yray 01-29-2018 10:03 AM

XC60T8 so you can be faster than a macan S and park at electric charging spots :lawl:

belka 01-29-2018 10:23 AM

Only problem with the Lexus:

https://img1.cgtrader.com/items/7428...lwo-lw-lws.jpg

http://www.aprilsmith.org/uploads/6/...89/4341568.jpg

Mooooo

Interested to see what you pick since gf and I will be shopping in the same segment, for a lease, this August. We like the RDX on paper anyway, have to see it in the flesh first.

Also the CX9 is a little larger but has all the gadgets and pretty good luxury for same price.

bcedhk 01-29-2018 10:30 AM

I mean they can opt for the 300h or the non F sport for a more subtle grill design.

bcrdukes 01-29-2018 10:49 AM

FYI my post was in jest, but I was serious about liking the NX. It's a good car, and the design will grow on you.

Given that your mom has owned the CRV since 09, it seems that a purchase will do her well. The Lexus will definitely retain its resale value. The others - not so much.

mb_ 01-29-2018 01:24 PM

+1 for NX as well but I am sorta biased

Let me know if you or your mom are interested in looking at one

jinxcrusader 01-29-2018 04:24 PM

How about the Alfa Stelvio SUV? :fullofwin:

Akinari 01-29-2018 04:29 PM

Why not settle with a new CR-V in Touring trim? Have heard nothing but praise for those things, from journalist reviews and from owners.

supafamous 01-29-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akinari (Post 8885380)
Why not settle with a new CR-V in Touring trim? Have heard nothing but praise for those things, from journalist reviews and from owners.

^ This is valid. A Touring trim CR-V is pretty nice. I didn't like the CVT and wish it had 30-40 more horses but it was a perfectly reasonable ride - someone an older lady who is already driving a CR-V will like.

Spectre_Cdn 01-29-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 8885383)
^ This is valid. A Touring trim CR-V is pretty nice. I didn't like the CVT and wish it had 30-40 more horses but it was a perfectly reasonable ride - someone an older lady who is already driving a CR-V will like.

Hondata already has a flash for it; +25 hp and torque
https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-2017-crv

supafamous 01-29-2018 07:33 PM

Forgot to mention that while I didn't test drive the Q5 after sitting in the back (too small) I would expect it to drive wonderfully if the A5 Sportback I drove is any indication. It's not a pulse raiser but the A5 is beautifully engineered and it'd be on my list of cars to own if I could only own 1 car. It's light years ahead of a 330i Sport.

If the back seat doesn't matter to your mom then the Q5 is worth a long look.