REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Average Speed Cameras on Hwy 99 - Noooooo!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714259-average-speed-cameras-hwy-99-noooooo.html)

snowfarmer 02-05-2018 03:57 PM

Average Speed Cameras on Hwy 99 - Noooooo!!

Oh I pray this is not going to happen...not that I espouse speeding and if I was ever to consider exceeding the legal posted speed limit, Hwy 99 between West Van and Squamish is just not where I would do it. Regardless, I hope this doesn't come to pass, it would do little to reduce ICBC costs, it would just be a cash grab, and would spread like a virus. I hope this NDP government remembers what happened to the last NDP government that installed speed cameras.

I can't stand that they take one cherry picked data point on collisions and there's the case made. Show the rate over many years (before and after cameras), show the total number of collisions, show the same data for the same period on roads without the cameras.

How average speed cameras could make B.C.'s roads safer - British Columbia - CBC News

320icar 02-05-2018 04:01 PM

Time to start looking into ways to remotely hide my license plate

GabAlmighty 02-05-2018 04:36 PM

Fucking Lions Bay, of course they want it.

J-Chow 02-05-2018 04:38 PM

Speed Cameras wouldn't make BC's road safer.

Driver education and practice makes them safer.

Renewing you're driver's license should involve a Re-knowledge test AND driving test every 3 or so years.

THAT, would be a total cash grab for ICBC but imo, it would drastically make everyone a

better driver.

Just my 2 cents :)

Carry on.

teggy604 02-05-2018 04:48 PM

I think drivers here just suck at driving, really suck at driving at high speeds, and use poor judgement. A good driver with good judgement can speed (reasonable) and still have no at fault claims with a CRS level of -20.

DragonChi 02-05-2018 05:13 PM

You know what Squamish and Lions Bay should consider? Over passes.

Langley has them. The highway goes right through the city. It's not a deadly problem for them, and no speed cameras.

This is a cash grab.

TouringTeg 02-05-2018 08:19 PM

They are looking at something similar for Hwy 1 over the Malahat over here on the island.

https://www.cheknews.ca/bring-interv...rd-say-368538/

Manic! 02-05-2018 08:41 PM

I swear it's only a mater of time before they put GPS units in cars that track your speed and every time you go over the speed limit you get a ticket.

Jmac 02-05-2018 09:00 PM

Why bother addressing the real problems when this is so much easier?

white rocket 02-06-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 8886490)

Renewing you're driver's license should involve a Re-knowledge test AND driving test every 3 or so years.

THAT, would be a total cash grab for ICBC but imo, it would drastically make everyone a

better driver.

Carry on.

This. There are so many foreign, and perhaps local, drivers that have no fucking clue what they are doing on the road. It's not even that they are assholes or idiots(well some are I guess), but it's that they do not understand the rules or how to abide by them. They do not even know how to pull over properly when a police officer pulls them over or how to get out of the way when an emergency vehicle is behind them. This is the issue and it needs to be addressed with a stricter, more rigorous licensing process. Only then will we begin to see any form of a reasonable result.

So for now, yeah, let's spend money on speed cameras :bullshit:

Tone Loc 02-06-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 8886490)

better driver.

Carry on.

Would never happen. In most of Europe that type of licensing is commonplace, but here in North America too many people view driving as a right instead of a privilege. Any government that would implement that drastic of a change would be committing political suicide.

That being said, I agree with you 100%. Especially for drivers over 65 who I think should have to do a road and knowledge test every year, and people over 70 need to be medically cleared to drive by a physician every year. See way too many old people on the road who have no clue of what's going on around them...

Oh, and and ICBC needs to listen to the Richmond RCMP and stop giving Chinese DL's a free pass. No North American DL? Prove you're a short-term visitor or get impounded. Plain and simple.

SpeedStars 02-06-2018 09:38 AM

Little OT but I've personally seen tons of international Chinese drivers licenses and they've never looked the same...also expiry was always something like 8/08/2018 or 08/08/2028 :suspicious:

UnknownJinX 02-06-2018 10:01 AM

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it: cash grab.

The guy who said "but it works in Scotland" doesn't know shit about how North America works. Just because something works on the other side of the pond doesn't mean it will necessarily work here. Everyone knows the speed limit in BC is too low, and having devices that enforces that ridiculous low limit only makes people more impatient and more likely to make bad decisions. If they make the speed limit that 80% of the people go at, then it's different.

Another thing is that these cameras will make cop speed traps obsolete, so I doubt the cops will be happy, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Loc (Post 8886636)
That being said, I agree with you 100%. Especially for drivers over 65 who I think should have to do a road and knowledge test every year, and people over 70 need to be medically cleared to drive by a physician every year. See way too many old people on the road who have no clue of what's going on around them...

Oh, and and ICBC needs to listen to the Richmond RCMP and stop giving Chinese DL's a free pass. No North American DL? Prove you're a short-term visitor or get impounded. Plain and simple.

Agreed. Old AF people should get medically examined to keep driving.

As for the second bit, this is what I am confused about when I looked up the rules on ICBC. How do peeps with Chinese DL prove that they are staying here temporarily?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8886646)
Little OT but I've personally seen tons of international Chinese drivers licenses and they've never looked the same...also expiry was always something like 8/08/2018 or 08/08/2028 :suspicious:

It's no secret that you can get fake Chinese DL...

whitev70r 02-06-2018 11:19 AM

Looks like motorcyclists will have to find another fave easy to access route.

Can some legal scholar find a loophole or something unconstitutional about this .... pleeeze!

Scotsman 02-06-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8886547)
I swear it's only a mater of time before they put GPS units in cars that track your speed and every time you go over the speed limit you get a ticket.

Remember in The Fifth Element, every time Korben (Bruce Willis) committed an infraction in his cab, he automatically got assessed the penalty

But that would mean we would have flying cars...imagine the ICBC repair bills on those things!

Tone Loc 02-06-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnknownJinX (Post 8886648)
Agreed. Old AF people should get medically examined to keep driving.

As for the second bit, this is what I am confused about when I looked up the rules on ICBC. How do peeps with Chinese DL prove that they are staying here temporarily?

It's no secret that you can get fake Chinese DL...

Chinese DL's are notoriously easy to fake. Hence my comment.

Under the current rules, basically you are allowed to drive in BC without exchanging your license if you are a visitor or temporary resident (student, worker, etc.).

The problem is proving it. Police officers aren't immigration officers and I don't imagine they have access to IRCC databases to "prove" that someone is a temporary resident or not. Plus, who drives with their passport on them at all times? Let alone carries their study/work permits with them.

I remember a few years back, RCMP made a big stink about how they don't want to accept Chinese DL's because A) they're easy to fake and B) there is no info-sharing agreement with China, so the police would have no way of knowing if a license was real or not.

Then ICBC told them to back down (I wonder why? /sarcasm). So now RCMP accepts Chinese DL's as proof of driving experience - even if it is a fake - because they can't access any of the information on the real ones anyway.

prudz 02-06-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8886655)
Looks like motorcyclists will have to find another fave easy to access route.

Can some legal scholar find a loophole or something unconstitutional about this .... pleeeze!

It's called fender eliminators with bent plates. Loophole found.

I currently don't have a bent plate, but if that becomes reality i'm bending my plate.

Qmx323 02-06-2018 02:53 PM

At least this method allows for self-governing.

snowball 02-06-2018 07:50 PM

Remove the cops and only use average speed cameras as enforcement.

You'll find me going 5km/h for the first 10km :troll:

Dbone 02-07-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8886498)
You know what Squamish and Lions Bay should consider? Over passes.

Langley has them. The highway goes right through the city. It's not a deadly problem for them, and no speed cameras.

This is a cash grab.

Lionsbay is 100% covered by overpasses. The problem is the length of the on ramps of these overpasses.

DragonChi 02-07-2018 09:16 AM

I don't get why the speed limit is 60 on a highway. If I'm thinking of the right place. There's a section of sea to sky near horseshoe bay that has that limit. I think it's same with Squamish though.

Qmx323 02-07-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 8886817)
I don't get why the speed limit is 60 on a highway. If I'm thinking of the right place. There's a section of sea to sky near horseshoe bay that has that limit. I think it's same with Squamish though.

The surroundings are so breathtaking that people get into accidents being distracted by all the pretty water, mountains and trees

The Producer 02-07-2018 11:48 AM

lions bay? it's 60 because it's a town

same as every town you go through on the #1 all across the country

Never understand why everybody hates on lions bay, or why they speed through it. I watched a guy come onto the highway from the offramp there on my way to whistler the other day. Sure, he's the moron, but I'm glad I didn't come around the corner at 120 to find headlights in my face.

DragonChi 02-07-2018 12:10 PM

Pretty sure Hope is a town as well. It's not 60 on that stretch.

The Producer 02-07-2018 12:22 PM

wayyyy tighter on and off ramps in LB, and proximity to the actual highway than hope

you can't go 120 through cache creek, or by your own example squamish.

i don't want to split hairs, I just don't understand why people are either baffled or offended that a highway has some speed restrictions, or more specifically that location. The main highway entrance by the store is super sketchy.