REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Performance Tire Recommendations

Hi guys,

I don't know how long it's been since I lasted posted anything but I was wondering if I could get some knowledge from some of the more experienced track day people here.

I am currently driving a 2018 BMW M240i RWD and am hoping to taking on a few good track days this year. I will be going to the Ridge in May and I am also hoping to try out some of the other bigger tracks like Area 27, Pacific Raceway, or Vancouver Island Motorsport Park.

A friend recommended Bridgestone RE71s which I can order from any Costco. However, I am wondering if there are other brands that you guys would recommend. Will tires like these last if I drive on them to go to tracks like the Ridge?

Thanks.
Advertisement
jk6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

The RE71Rs are very sticky tires and probably the one to get for autocross short of going to the purple crack (Hoosiers).

They are also very good for track days but wear will wear significantly faster than others like the Direzza ZII or the Hankook Rs4s. Speed wise they will keep up or surpass some of the harder R compounds like the R888 or the NT01s. But the wear will be high especially for heavier cars and if the temperatures are hot. If you want more wear at the slight expense of speed, the Direzzas and Kooks might be a good choice.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Do you have any track experience? Maybe don’t immedietly jump to the stickiest DOT tide you cannget
Old 02-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
What tires came with your car? If it's your first time doing motorsports, I do not recommend sticky tires just yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
On a related note, how stock is the car? If you don't have very much (negative) camber, you're going to kill the tires very quickly in a track environment.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
any reason why not to get sticky tires just yet if you have money to burn?...hehe.

they always focus on learning driving skills to cut down time but having sticky tires for abit more confidence pushing it sounds pretty reasonable IMO.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
any reason why not to get sticky tires just yet if you have money to burn?...hehe.

they always focus on learning driving skills to cut down time but having sticky tires for abit more confidence pushing it sounds pretty reasonable IMO.
Usually when you are learning the limits of your car, one relies on the squealing of tires as you approach the limits of grip. Quite a few of the really sticky tires don't squeal (or squeal very little) so you have to rely more on feel than noise. Learning on OEM tires is fine especially if you want to get a baseline.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I love the RE71R for autoX but haven't had them on the track for sustained periods of speed.

Perhaps someone can chime in on their durability at the Ridge.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 02-11-2018 at 02:13 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
I would recommend the RS4 over the RE71R due to weight of the car and possibility that you will be taking the car tracking more than once this year

while the RE71R has better grip overall than the RS4 but as many have mentioned above - they do wear out relatively quick

they are excellent for auto-x though

RS4 can take a beating and a lot of teams i've talked to like to run the RS4 for endurance racing since they can LAST (which is never a bad thing) and have a high heat tolerance - meaning they do not feel greasy after couple of sessions on a hot day

I would stay away from R-Compounds like the NT01/R888R until you are more familiar with your car and the grip levels - going straight into r-compounds will be quite a steep learning curve if you are confident but you'll have to be extra careful if the road is wet/cold

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Assuming the OP is relatively new to the high performance driving world, one suggestion I think is worth bearing in mind is -- you want a tire that has a linear and predictable breakaway characteristic, and will communicate with you, much more so than one that has massive grip.

Generally speaking, OEM tires on sporty cars are pretty good with that -- until they have been abused too many times at the track, and become heat cycled out. This is why some of us are recommending you stick to the OEM grade stuff to start. Once you have built some basic car control skills, you'll be in a better position to take advantage of what the higher performance tires can do for you, and better handle their quirks.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Assuming the OP is relatively new to the high performance driving world, one suggestion I think is worth bearing in mind is -- you want a tire that has a linear and predictable breakaway characteristic, and will communicate with you, much more so than one that has massive grip.

Generally speaking, OEM tires on sporty cars are pretty good with that -- until they have been abused too many times at the track, and become heat cycled out. This is why some of us are recommending you stick to the OEM grade stuff to start. Once you have built some basic car control skills, you'll be in a better position to take advantage of what the higher performance tires can do for you, and better handle their quirks.
Thanks for all the input guys!

I think the curb weight of the car weighs in at between 3500-3600lb. The cars is pretty much stock but I am contemplating weather I should get new brake pads for the car this season as well. My car is currently running on Michelin PSS but with my stock setup, I think I'll be going a little bit wider with another set of wheels.

In terms of track experience, I've done probably 4-5 track days, a few performance training courses, and about 5 autocross events over the past 3 years. Not sure if that makes me experienced enough but I've been driving this car for the past 2 years so I think I'm comfortable with the limits of the car.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,792 Times in 3,326 Posts
run a +1 size of the PS4?

those new PS4 tires are excellent.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #13
The Speed Syndicate

the PS4 and PSS tires are decent id say - but cost quite a bit to replace

whereas the re17r / rs4 / z2 cost relatively cheaper for similar if not better performance on the track

i would recommend at a minimum better brake fluid if you still running stock (motul rbf600 minimum) for peace of mind

getting a set of dedicated brake pads for the track will definitely be a huge bonus (id recommend cobalt XR series or PFC series [PFC 11 is really good] )

at the end of the day - everyone has their own preferences for tires/brakes so take every feedback with a grain of salt and try it out for yourself

you can't go wrong just tracking the car as is as a benchmark - then work your way up from there

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6221 View Post
In terms of track experience, I've done probably 4-5 track days, a few performance training courses, and about 5 autocross events over the past 3 years. Not sure if that makes me experienced enough but I've been driving this car for the past 2 years so I think I'm comfortable with the limits of the car.
With that kind of experience, you probably have a good idea of what you're doing out on the track. I can see why you'd want to get some better rubber.

I am not at all opposed to running something wider. Bear in mind, however, that "going wider" can be done by:

1) going with a wider tire
2) going with a wider wheel
3) doing both #1 and #2

and the results you get are going to be different. From a performance standpoint, you want to use the smallest diameter wheel that also has the widest width, and select a tire that is roughly as wide as your wheel. Because of this, a +1 setup is often not really a performance setup.

Before getting new tires, I would also re-emphasize the importance of having (negative) camber on any track-driven vehicles. IMO, if you are running anything lower than -1.5° (and especially at the front wheels), you are going to kill your tires very quickly. For your 2 series, I'm sure Bimmerworld (or other places) have camber plate to address this issue, and I'd choose them over getting new tires.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #15

not trying to thread jack but have any of you guys heard of zestino tires? and your thoughts on them?
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
the PS4 and PSS tires are decent id say - but cost quite a bit to replace

whereas the re17r / rs4 / z2 cost relatively cheaper for similar if not better performance on the track

i would recommend at a minimum better brake fluid if you still running stock (motul rbf600 minimum) for peace of mind

getting a set of dedicated brake pads for the track will definitely be a huge bonus (id recommend cobalt XR series or PFC series [PFC 11 is really good] )

at the end of the day - everyone has their own preferences for tires/brakes so take every feedback with a grain of salt and try it out for yourself

you can't go wrong just tracking the car as is as a benchmark - then work your way up from there
Thanks again for the advise guys!

Random question but do you work at the TSS? I think a couple of my friends have been to your shop and they've said you guys do a very good job.

Anyways, I ordered a set of Apex EC-7 (18x8.5 front, 18x9 rear) and I'm thinking of wrapping them with a set of Hankook R-S4 since they seem to have the best balance of performance and durability that I need at a decent cost. Likely going for 235/40-18 fronts and 255/35-18 rears.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6221 View Post
Thanks again for the advise guys!

Random question but do you work at the TSS? I think a couple of my friends have been to your shop and they've said you guys do a very good job.

Anyways, I ordered a set of Apex EC-7 (18x8.5 front, 18x9 rear) and I'm thinking of wrapping them with a set of Hankook R-S4 since they seem to have the best balance of performance and durability that I need at a decent cost. Likely going for 235/40-18 fronts and 255/35-18 rears.
i don't work at tss but am part of tss since I organize their track days events

if you could - try to do a square setup on the BMW - you'll enjoy the car quite abit more and also the benefit of flipping/rotating all 4 tires for maximum durability

Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
not trying to thread jack but have any of you guys heard of zestino tires? and your thoughts on them?
I know that Zestino has been gaining popularity in the drift scene, given that they have multiple compounds. However as a tire for track days, I'm not so sure.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
RS Veteran

For those who like RE71R Costco offers one of the best prices around plus $70 instant rebate usually in September and December.

Just ordered some 205/50/15 online. I have been waiting for them to come back in stock since October.

Last edited by TouringTeg; 02-16-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #20

For me at least, Costco is a @#)$@(&# joke when it comes to buying any non-OEM sized tires, and RE-71R is especially bad. The sizes I need -- 205/50/15 and 215/45/17 -- are never in stock, and their service reps always give me bullshxt reasons for not being able to serve me / sell me the damn tires. I'm so sick and tired of the bullshxt that I'd rather just buy from TireRack instead, and have them installed elsewhere locally.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #21
RS Veteran

lol I am glad I'm not the only one. They had 205/50/15 RE-71R in stock in Sept/Oct but I thought that was too early to buy and have them sit.

The next rebate came around in December and suddenly they are out of stock. I spoke to customer support and they were waiting on new batch to be manufactured and sent to Canada which happened in January. 205/50/15 literally came available again on Wed Feb 14th. I know because I was checking nearly every day!

Getting them mounted and balance is another pain unless you happen to live near by. Even dropping off loose wheels they forget about them and I am lucky if they get to them near the end of the day. Takes a lot of time.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #22
in the butt

Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,171 Posts
Dunlop Direzzas.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #23
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i'm starting to see a lot of positive talk on the car message boards i follow about this new replacement for the michelin PSS:

Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Pilot+Sport+4S

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #24

Well... now that Michelin finally smarted up and release a bunch of additional sizes -- esp in 17" -- it is natural to see more people discussing and reviewing the tire. For the past year, I'd say the PS4S pretty much had its lunch stolen by Conti ECS and Firestone Indy 500 in the mainstream sector.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Looking to get a wheel and tire package from Tirerack and shipped to Point Roberts. There's tax. Has it always been the case, and will I get taxed again bringing it back?

ITEM(S) TOTAL:

Shipping (98281):

$1,715.88

$148.48
Taxes:$154.48
Tire Rack Discount:-$47.00
TOTAL:
$1,971.84
NightFever is offline   Reply With Quote