REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner > Rider's Journals

Rider's Journals This section is for rider's and their journeys. Show off your bike, your build, or travel journals.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Limitless' 2016 R6

A couple of maintenance things were coming up on my CBR600RR, so before I dumped anymore money into that bike I wanted to pick up something newer that I would want to keep. As much as I loved the CBR, it did look slightly dated to me.

Traded it in to Daytona Motorsports for a 2016 R6 Sadly got caught in the rain in the CBR when I rode it in. But the new project begins!

Picked up my first parts from a fellow R6 owner, Competition Werkes fender eliminator and a Power Commander V

May have taken way too many parts off for the fender eliminator lol, but at least now I'll know how to take everything off for the Power Commander in the future

Wired in the aftermarket turn signals that came with the CW and routed a battery charger cable along the stock lines. Trying to keep everything as clean as possible on this bike since I plan to keep it for a long time

Mounted the fender elim backwards to hide that ugly bracket, the license plate light that came with it was a stupid design. Bulb directly out into the open with no housing, and the singular T10 goes almost as low as the plate letters. Won't be using that, but will be putting in an aftermarket light later on.

Also took off the stock reflectors, can't believe it was mounted on the caliper bolt. Stock before and after pictures

And put on some Techspec grips! Much better than the eBay ones on the CBR

Akrapovic slip on is currently on the way, then planning to either get the M4 mid pipe or just grab some headers if I don't feel like chopping up the stock exhaust. Small things like integrated tail light and flush mount front signals will be ordered later, and maybe a double bubble.

Love the feeling of the R6, the ergonomics are definitely much more aggressive than my 03 CBR (which was already pretty damn aggressive imo). They say the low end has no grunt, but feels fine for me in the city so far. Still breaking it in so haven't been able to feel the higher RPM where all the power's at yet, but dying to see how it feels up high
Advertisement

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

That bike is all about the top end. It is night and day. I recommend checking my build and picking up a relay so you don't get hyper flash. I have the same taillight, just in smoke. Congrats on the new bike!
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

Can't wait hahah. Yeah I'll be picking up the relay when I pick up the integrated tails, saw the smoked one in person and it was still brighter than OEM which is pretty crazy.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #4

Picked up my Akrapovic can today

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

Weather's finally starting to look better Which means more incentive to work on the bike

Not sure if it's because it's my first time taking off fairings on the R6, but what is it with these clips?? Stripped my CBR600RR and R3 with no issues, this one seems to be a lot harder... Also, why is the turn signal harness so short for the right side lol

Sadly put on some nocut sliders just in case, I feel that they kill the look of the bike but I'll keep them on there for now... TST flush mount signals installed too

And a slightly mismatched solo seat

Thought about kind of retrofitting the facelifted R1/R6 turn signal mirrors onto the bike, but still debating if it would look okay or not. Definitely won't be going to those cheap aftermarket mirrors anymore, I really miss being able to hang my helmet off the mirror like this

Another rider in a S1000RR rolled up after I took this pic and asked what a R6 and Suzuki was doing at a BMW/Ducati dealership... Threw me off guard a bit. Hope not all riders out there with these bikes are like that lol.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Bike looks great!

You took the fairings off the hard way. There is a much easier way. The entire lower section and the long fairing with the R6 logo on it attached to the air duct come off in one piece. I think you can have the entire thing off in about 5-6 allen bolts and a couple push clips by the nose. I did the exact thing you did the first time thinking experiencing the same frustration lol.

My no cut frame sliders are arriving in the mail in a week or two. I'm in the same boat as you. I think they kind of kill the lines and look of the bikes appearance but last year at the track sliding over some oil and almost losing control of my bike made me finally decide i'd rather have them on there so if I dump it there is a chance it won't be completely mangled.

If you find some good quality mirrors with the signals integrated in them let me know please. I'm looking to get some for my R6.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #7

Thanks! The fairing with the R6 logo on it was stuck to the upper tiny blue fairing on the inside I took out everything (I think), but there was this one slide tab that just wouldn't budge. I believe you have to slide it toward either the back or the front of the bike and then the whole piece would come off?

That one part I was stuck on is what it was just hanging by before I took the two silver fairings apart so it didn't get damaged sigh lol. Any tips on how to deal with it?

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

It is a slide tab that is correct. It feels like you are going to break it when you pop it out but you won't. I believe you push towards the front of the bike. I'll report back in a week or two when I do my clutch (can't remember exactly which direction right now).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wow what a douche comment by the bmw guy! The ducati guys ive met so far all have been super nice
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0seven View Post
Wow what a douche comment by the bmw guy! The ducati guys ive met so far all have been super nice
You're still going to be one of the nice guys when you pick yours up right? Don't forget us little people with japanese bikes hahaha

Stuck on what else to do to the bike, but in the meantime I did get a new helmet

Been eyeing the Puig light smoked windscreen for a while now. One popped up from a local shop blowing it out for cheap, so instantly picked that up Hopefully it'll help with the wind noise on highways, the Pista is ridiculous for noise but I don't want to wear the Arai anymore after how comfy the new one is.

Excuse the messy garage

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #11

Probably the last thing to the bike I'm going to do for a while other than some maintenance. Bought a smoked integrated tail light with sequential signals and 3 flashes when the brakes are first hit Really disliked the white tail light (would have looked better if it came red OEM imo), and thankfully these are even brighter than stock when the bike is on.

Can't seem to get a good picture of them from my phone since the LEDs flicker on camera

Also half ass sprayed the competition werkes tail tidy in some gloss black I had lying around so it would be a bit less noticeable. Much happier with how the tail looks now.

Flipped the tail tidy around to the proper position to use its license plate light and bent the plate slightly more upwards so it doesn't kill the lines of the bike as much from the side

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Should pop those rear pegs off since you have the solo seat on now. Bike is looking clean!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

Thanks! Wish I could lol, gf gets mad at me when I do because she still wants to sit on the back every now and then

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #14

Spent all day slowly working on the bike today

Headers off

Chopped!

That nasty honeycomb stuff inside took a ton of work to get out because I didn't have the tools I wanted at home but was too lazy to go out to buy some...

Dropped a ton of shit in the headers trying to cut out that honeycomb lol

Last pic I took before putting it together, ended up smoothening out the inside a bit more with a dremel (until it broke...) and used an angle grinder to smoothen out the edge of the pipes, for no reason other than to make myself feel a bit better about the hack job

MJS mid pipe on!

And no more giant cat box

Also took the time to finally put in the power commander V. Bike idled way too rough without a tune, using one of the maps from the power commander website helped smoothen out the idle a lot. First time I ran the bike without the tune it was shooting red flames everywhere, now it doesn't shoot as much flames but still pops blue flames every now and then. I think it's still running too rich... need to find a better map for it :/

With the dashcam unit and the PCV, there's definitely not much space left in the tail.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #15

Picked up another set of headlights to play around with and did my first retrofit. Pretty happy with how it turned out!

Had to shave off some of the stock projector on the high beam side

Kept the stock reflector in there without painting it back because I wanted to go for more of a clean look. Didn't want the projectors to be too noticeable

Finally, dual low beam and high beam

Didn't adjust the headlight yet for this shot, was too excited to ride the bike out after 2 long nights of taking it apart and wiring

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread

This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
I STILL don't get it

That is a massive improvement. I hate riding on the highway at night on my r6 because the stock lights are basically useless over 80km/hr. That will definitely allow you to be much safer and more visible while riding at night. Looks really clean too!