REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

How's Freedom's signal in Richmond?

Hi guys, planning on coming back to van for 2 months for vacay. Planning on getting freedom's lte plans, how is their signal now in richmond? I was using wind before I left vancouver years ago and their signal wasn't too great, and I would get no signal indoors in my condo. Of course that was aws and now they're on LTE, just wondering if it's better on LTE? thnx
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
When it comes to coverage, the most important is the frequency and bands. Freedom's LTE in YVR currently operates on a mixture of 1700MHz. 2100MHz and 2600MHz. Those frequencies are quite high and due to limitations in the technology, they will always suck in terms of range and penetration compared to lower bands which all the other major carriers have.

It'll still be hit or miss depending on where and how you use your phone, but it's definitely a lot better than two years ago.

When they roll out 700MHz later this year, that's the big milestone as it should theoretically solve most of Freedom's coverage issues.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
When it comes to coverage, the most important is the frequency and bands. Freedom's LTE in YVR currently operates on a mixture of 1700MHz. 2100MHz and 2600MHz. Those frequencies are quite high and due to limitations in the technology, they will always suck in terms of range and penetration compared to lower bands which all the other major carriers have.

It'll still be hit or miss depending on where and how you use your phone, but it's definitely a lot better than two years ago.

When they roll out 700MHz later this year, that's the big milestone as it should theoretically solve most of Freedom's coverage issues.
damn, i live in a concrete condo, signal must still suck

Last edited by J____; 02-15-2018 at 04:59 AM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
It has been pretty good for me in Vancouver, Richmond, and Burnaby. I am in out of houses and concrete apartments all the time. I do have dropped calls every now and then, but overall reception is decent. I don't frequent south Richmond though.

I used to have coverage issues in Kits but that was fixed with the upgrade late last year.

Overall, I have been pretty satisfied for the price. I pay a little over $40 a month for 8gb of data and 1gb of data in US. Can't find that anywhere else. Just make sure your phone works on the network.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Why not try ChatR?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
^ cause the price point. I'm on the same path. Lower mainland it's legit, anything outside.. game over.

Wanted to switch over and the price point just doesn't support it. If I had to pay $60-70, i might as well jump back on the Fido / Rogers band wagon.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I know it's not unlimited data or whatever it is, but @ $40/month with 1GB data + 500MB bonus, and it uses Rogers' network, isn't that worth the peace of mind and a functional phone where you need it?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
in the butt

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,182 Posts
here we go again with what carrier to not pick
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #9

Yea either wind or chatr probably. I'm only here for a month and a half so not too big a deal I guess. but dang forgot how expensive telecom is in vancouver lol. I pay $15 cad for unlimited talk and LTE data in shanghai. Went to cambodia for vacay and cost me $2usd for 5gb data and a free sim card for a month holy...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Freedom is still terrible, I used them for 3 years and reception was always an issue. I drew the line that I had to switch out when I needed to make an emergency call in an underground parkade which ended in no reception. Never worked when I needed it the most and data speeds were slow as well. Having unlink tied data when you can't use it is pointless. Until they roll out their low band spectrum later this year, they're off my list for thr sake of keeping my sanity. Granted if you want the best deal, now is the time to buy in as later it'll surely rise
Old 02-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Freedom is horrible . And to my knowledge , Wind is actually freedom mobile, they just changed their name.
bmcmking is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: