REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Help! Can anyone identify this noise?

SOLVED
I took it to the shop, $550 and an earful later, turns out everything in the front of the engine (wp pulley, wp pump, tensioners, etc) was finger loose. So either the harmonic vibrations backed them all off, or I'm a dumbass and didn't torque it down properly. Pretty sure I torqued it down properly but I didn't use loctite so that might have been the issue. Replaced the one mechanical tensioner that I didn't replace with my pulley job and a new WP (again)

Summary is to check your pulleys, tensioners, and WP first if sound is coming from the front of the engine.

INITIAL ISSUE
Can anyone identify this noise (high pitched ticking)? Car is a 2002 330ci

The noise first appeared last night when I was leaving work, but disappeared in the morning. Noise was also not prevalent during the afternoon, or when I went to night school.

When I started it up after school, it was also not prevalent. I swerved around some road kill on the hwy, and I'm pretty sure I missed it. But I pulled over shortly after that, and the noise was there AND WORSE THAN LAST NIGHT.

I'm not aware if the noise came up during the drive home. The drive home was fine too, good power, good coolant temps, etc.

It almost seems like the common denominator is cold ambient temps.

Video of yesterday's noise:

Video of today's noise is the 2nd one (starts at the ground).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 02-26-2018 at 05:58 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I can't hear anything wrong in the 1st video. 2nd one has some weird ticking noise.

Does it change frequency or pitch when you rev up the engine? If so, could be related to the belts.

There is an old trick where you would hold a wooden stick to your ear and attach the other end to different parts of the car until you can clearly hear it through the wooden stick. Maybe try that.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Can't hear it over engine noise if I rev it tho. Will have had to get someone to rev it, while i'm recording at the front. But it's at the shop now.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

May be the sound comes from crankcase valve (Driver side under the intake)
vwaudi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
take it to nixon / bmw and bend over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Yep. I took it to the shop. $550 and an earful later, turns out everything in the front of the engine (wp pulley, wp pump, tensioners, etc) was finger loose.

So either the harmonic vibrations backed them all off, or I'm a dumbass and didn't torque it down properly. Pretty sure I torqued it down properly but I didn't use loctite so that might have been the issue.

Got the one mechanical tensioner that I didn't replace, replaced and a new WP (again) replaced. Glad it was just those things, I thought it was going to be time to source an engine... maybe S54 or M62 LOL

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 02-26-2018 at 05:56 PM.