REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Mom got threatening phone call

Hi guys,

So last night around 12am, my parents got a phone call on their landline by a private number. It was a unrecognized male voice who stated my moms full name and address. When my mom asked "who is this?" he said that he has been following her and he knows what she is doing. She hung up and he called the house again twice but they didnt answer.

She called the police immediately. They showed up at the house at 250AM. All they said was to be extra vigilant and take notice of anyone following her in stores or cars when shes driving.

Has this happened to anyone before?

My mom is older, retired and scares easily. Naturally I'm pissed so I will be staying with her when my dad is at work. She's active on Bidding Wars on Facebook but her FB doesnt have her last name, my hubby has advised that she stop all activity on facebook for now. The landline they have is connected thru the internet, I think they got it done from Costco.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
You didn’t have anything to do with that parking lot scammer right?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

3 freaking hours for the cops to come? What a joke.
Hope u guys stay safe tho. And the creep is caught.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
It’s a phone call what are the cops gonna do? Lol

It may just be some scammer or somthing for one of those call back scams etc. easy enough to get a name and number
Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
I STILL don't get it

I'm hoping maybe just a prank call? Some stupid bored teenagers or something. I don't remember ever getting such scary prank calls but my cousins in Surrey said they're pretty common?? My cousins had someone call their land line for a year straight and it was just someone crying or heavy breathing every time lol.

Hondaracer, I thought of that but it was a private number. Call back scams are usually weird numbers that show up right?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Yea good point, hmm weird
Old 02-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
3 freaking hours for the cops to come? What a joke.
Hope u guys stay safe tho. And the creep is caught.
Yeah I find theyre pretty useless unless the situation is violent. We've waited 1-2 hours before after having our old place broken into in Surrey.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
she shouldn't have said "who is this?" after he said a name and address....he might as well said a random house color and would hear "who is this!?"...again to really confirm it.

social engineering 101: you just confirmed what was said was right there and then...esp if the caller picked up on her tone of voice

not Too good to be noisy when someones poking around for information...instant hang up, "are you drunk?...wrong number"..make something up. and even laugh just to throw them off.

again,watch your call display on unknown numbers,simple rule not to pick up on Anybody you don't know....fuck them if they want to hide they're number,that's my rule.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 02-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Could be a prank. If you go to white pages you can simply type in any phone number and it'll bring up the registered owner and address of the person so long as they're listed. I just typed my parents land line number in and it brought up their name, address, zip code.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
They should call berz. I guarantee it will be an epic end to the caller.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
My mom receive calls from private number from time to time. She just let them finish and hung up. But then again she doens't know much English so it doesn't matter too much.

Most of her important calls (doctor, hospital apt)we give them mine or my sister's phone number so most of the calls going to her landline are useless calls.

I say just be extra careful with your mom.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSREE View Post
She's active on Bidding Wars on Facebook but her FB doesnt have her last name, my hubby has advised that she stop all activity on facebook for now. The landline they have is connected thru the internet, I think they got it done from Costco.

but is her profile private?...if someone pieces the puzzle together with friends added and most of them all the same last name,it doesn't matter if she didnt enter it.....Duh..tagged public photo with a relative..Boom

and another rule if you're profile is public...stop letting everyone know your every move what you're doing or buying...that's a huge no for everyone with common sense...

use to be common in USA for thieves to stalk out peoples instagram,facebook for when they're out and about since they post everything happening......even simple as calling every few hours to see if anyone's home if they got a phone#....but i'm sure you can file a legal complaint about harassment if you get so many calls a month..i'm quite sure phone companies keep a log of received numbers of calls.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 02-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,744 Times in 698 Posts
I guess this is why my sister NEVER picks up random phone numbers or private numbers.

She says, if it's important they'll leave a message.

On her voicemail, she also doesn't state her name, she just says to leave a message and she'll call them back.

That sounds pretty creepy though.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'm not sure what sort of phone service Costco offers (Google seems to indicate that it might be with Primus), but most VoIP services offer a filtering option for private/anonymous calls. Maybe check with the phone provider to see if they offer this option and enable it to stop these calls coming through.

If it is Primus, here's a link to their page for their Privacy Guard option:
https://primus.ca/popups/en/HP_FeaturesGCC.html
Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I guess this is why my sister NEVER picks up random phone numbers or private numbers.

She says, if it's important they'll leave a message.

On her voicemail, she also doesn't state her name, she just says to leave a message and she'll call them back.

That sounds pretty creepy though.
I never pick up private number and unknown phone numbers, so I requested my phone company to block all my private number at a very small fee. If it is emergency call, they will call the second time.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
those damn unknown callers
Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
I still pick up private numbers but never blocked numbers unless I am expecting the police for a follow-up call

I think it's safe to rule out a prank call, they don't usually try to call the same number multiple times in a row

and it's 2018...people are too busy eating laundry detergents to be prank calling
Old 02-19-2018, 12:44 AM   #18
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I don't have a landline and don't pick up unknown numbers on my cell. My phone's set to auto block any private numbers and any numbers not on my contact list don't even ring on my phone (I just get a silent notification).

They can leave a voicemail message if it's important.

Everyone that I would be interested talking to are already on my contact list.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Yeah I find theyre pretty useless unless the situation is violent. We've waited 1-2 hours before after having our old place broken into in Surrey.
When I was living in Vancouver, it took about 2 hours for the cops to show up after a break-in. Pretty normal.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Why would they need to make a break in that's already over a high priority call? It's not going to get more broken into.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

i dunno, my mom's house was broken into recently ... while she was in the house. the cops came super quick, and stayed with her until i got there. I think the vpd did a pretty great job then.

i think cops power trip all the time, but when they do a good job, i think they deserve to be called out for that too.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
Old 02-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #22
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Why would they need to make a break in that's already over a high priority call? It's not going to get more broken into.
Well it was a few years back and only my mom & I were home when it happened. Once they got there one of them was apologetic and informed us that if people are home its classified as a home invasion and not a regular b&e so they really should have come sooner. The other one had a power trip sort of attitude and that turned me off. Especially when my mom was hysterical and later on suffered from PTSD from the incident.

Last edited by MSREE; 02-19-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I'm not sure what sort of phone service Costco offers (Google seems to indicate that it might be with Primus), but most VoIP services offer a filtering option for private/anonymous calls. Maybe check with the phone provider to see if they offer this option and enable it to stop these calls coming through.

If it is Primus, here's a link to their page for their Privacy Guard option:
https://primus.ca/popups/en/HP_FeaturesGCC.html
Yeah it is Primus! We spoke to someone at costco today and she will be changing her number and opting for the fee that takes all her info off the directories or something like that.
Closed Thread