REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Accident advive

- Wife got into an accident at a red light, let gas off brake and bumped car in front
- No damages to my wife's car as licence plate took the impact and speed was not a factor
- car in front has minimal damage but still some damage mostly from the 2 screws from the licence plate that dented her bumper
- nobody claiming injuries, other driver said let's just settle outside of ICBC
- other drive got a quote already, it's in the high hundreds

My question is if my wife decides to just pay for the damages is there anything you would suggest to protect from the possibility of the other person coming back later and asking for more? Could you even draft up something for them to sign saying they can't come back and it's settled including both damages and injuries?

Any suggestions would be welcome. So far there is nothing to believe the other person is shady. I mean their first reaction from getting rear ended was to ask if my wife was ok and communication has been good so far.

Thanks!
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

what would be the hit to your premium if you go through ICBC? that's also worth considering. I believe there's a calculator you can use to at-fault claims.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Either a written letter signed by both parties saying you are willing to pay for the damages. Or emails stating you will pay for the damages. Pay the shop directly when the repair is done and get a receipt with their vehicle info as proof.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
If you think the quote is too high just go through insurance and she can buy out the claim.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Legally, you have to go through ICBC to report the accident and let them know you both want to settle privately. That's one of the best ways to protect yourselves.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Like others have said, go through icbc, pay icbc back to fix the bumper and your premiums won't change.
Less work and stress this way for you.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,443 Times in 5,113 Posts
What bcrdukes said, report it, have them report it... and then you have the option of claiming against your insurance or paying it out.

Any other way is leaving yourself hanging in the wind.

P.S. high hundreds for a bumper repaint is bullshit, my buddy's shop repaints bumpers all day for $3-400... but you don't have much say about where they go unfortunately.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
What bcrdukes said, report it, have them report it... and then you have the option of claiming against your insurance or paying it out.

Any other way is leaving yourself hanging in the wind.

P.S. high hundreds for a bumper repaint is bullshit, my buddy's shop repaints bumpers all day for $3-400... but you don't have much say about where they go unfortunately.
Yea I looked at the quote it's in the $750 range and almost $400 of it is labor lol. Didn't know about the reporting to ICBC option and choosing to payout.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
This could depend on the vehicles in question. i.e. a BMW vs. a Ford Pinto and a whole bunch of different variables like do you want it to just look good enough? Or look like brand new? etc.

Definitely work with the other party to report it both to ICBC and to see what both of your options are. Never hurts, otherwise, you are opening yourself to a black hole of liabilities and unforeseen consequences. Sorry, not trying to scare you, but people can be pretty shitty. I speak from experience where I was rear-ended, and tapped the car in front of me. The guy wanted to settle his "injuries" privately, but I went to ICBC and sent them pictures of the guy leaning and bending to show the cops how his car was hit, and how he was "seriously injured." He was nice and all (at the time) but sent me a letter from his lawyer, and ICBC told them whats up and everything was dropped.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
The ONLY benefit to dealing w/out ICBC is that there's no claim on either car, which does make a difference when trying to sell the car. However, it does carry a certain risk to whomever is at fault, because as others have said, people can be pretty shitty.

I was rear ended low speed a long time ago by some N-sign girl, and I offered her either $500 for rear bumper repaint, or ICBC. I told her I'd prefer the cash because I didn't want a claim on my vehicle, but that the choice was hers. Exchanged info and told her to talk to her family or whatever and get back to me in a few days. 2 days later we met at a McD parking lot and she showed up with like 3 older brothers, who looked at my rear bumper, gave me $500 in cash, and some poorly written document written in word saying it's case closed. I fixed my bumper, and that was that.

So, it does work, but be very weary as the risk is almost all on the 'at-fault' party.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #11

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife. Both called claim centre, other parties car was fixed. We got a letter in the mail stating we had 30 days to pay for the claim out of pocket ($650) OR file
an insurance claim.

In her situation she would have went from 40% discount - 20%, over the next 4 years it would have cost some thing like $2100.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

Thanks guys, yea I'm telling my wife to just do it, there really isn't any negative aside from the claim on file as it offers protection, the other guy still gets fixed, nobody is paying any added premiums etc etc I can't see much of a reason the other party would deny other than maybe if they were driving without a licence or something shady because at the end of the day their bumper will get fixed without her paying any deductibles etc.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Thanks guys, yea I'm telling my wife to just do it, there really isn't any negative aside from the claim on file as it offers protection, the other guy still gets fixed, nobody is paying any added premiums etc etc I can't see much of a reason the other party would deny other than maybe if they were driving without a licence or something shady because at the end of the day their bumper will get fixed without her paying any deductibles etc.
they may not want a claim on their car.
I can't think of a reason why going privately would benefit you.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
they may not want a claim on their car.
I can't think of a reason why going privately would benefit you.
Yes, true on the claim part. Already contacted the other party see how they respond.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Performance Moderator

You don't need to report damage below $2,000 when selling a car anyway, who cares if there's a bumper claim.

If someone told me they weren't buying my car because of a bumper claim, I'd laugh at them and wait for the next buyer.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
The ONLY benefit to dealing w/out ICBC is that there's no claim on either car, which does make a difference when trying to sell the car.
Unless the buyer notices that it's been fixed but there isn't a claim to match, then the car seems more sketchy.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
You don't need to report damage below $2,000 when selling a car anyway, who cares if there's a bumper claim.

If someone told me they weren't buying my car because of a bumper claim, I'd laugh at them and wait for the next buyer.
While you don't need to report it, it'll still show up on carproof or whatever.

And it's a bigger disadvantage when trading in because of stealership games. They'll lowball you since it's not "claim free" and then when they sell it they'll downplay it as it's under $2k, blah blah.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
Performance Moderator

^ Better than not going through ICBC and leaving yourself open for 7 years for someone to come back at you through ICBC with no recourse if they increase the damage or lie about injuries or say you never paid them even though you did, or you fixed your car and they didn’t, so the evidence supporting your side is now destroyed or “covered up” etc.

If you’re trading a car into a dealership you’re already a guy who is comfortable losing a lot of money for the sake of convenience anyway, so why open yourself up to a bunch of potential liability by not reporting all damage?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #19

Quote:
^ Better than not going through ICBC and leaving yourself open for 7 years for someone to come back at you through ICBC with no recourse if they increase the damage or lie about injuries or say you never paid them even though you did, or you fixed your car and they didn’t, so the evidence supporting your side is now destroyed or “covered up” etc.

If you’re trading a car into a dealership you’re already a guy who is comfortable losing a lot of money for the sake of convenience anyway, so why open yourself up to a bunch of potential liability by not reporting all damage?
We're both nit-picking on opposite ends of what-ifs...also it's not 7 years, is it? I thought it was only 1 or 2. And you'd cover yourself by doing due diligence, ie. a signed document (yes, shaky legal ground, but whatever). All I'm saying is there's definitely a small circumstance where it could be beneficial to avoid ICBC.

As for losing money on trade, that's not always true either. I traded in a car recently, and the dealership gave me ~$2k less than what private sale would have been. But by trading it in I saved $3k on taxes. So, again, it's a YMMV.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

take you car in for an ICBC repair estimate. You don't have to get your car repaired through ICBC and you can pay directly for the other guys car without it showing as a claim. But I strongly suggest getting that ICBC repair estimate of your own car so that if/when the guy in 1.5 years tries to make an injury claim, ICBC can tell him to fuk off for virtually no damage.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
I STILL don't get it

Lucky the person is being so easy going OP
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Lucky the person is being so easy going OP
So far lol, all jokes aside they do genuinely seem pretty cool about it so far.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #23
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

My dad went through the exact samething, at a light he sneezed and let go off the gas and bumped the other car. The license plate was slightly damaged on his car and no damage on the other. Everyone got out fine and my dad took it to the ICBC place to get photos done the same day. They concluded no damage beside the tiny plate bend.

3-5 months later he gets a letter in the mail telling him his premiums are going up because the other driver claimed whip lash.

It's just sad how easy it is to get away with that as they can't prove he didn't sustain that kind of internal damage or not.
forcedot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
your dad was likely stopped too close if he bumps into the car up front from a sneeze
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

your dad didn't get anything in writing by the other party to settle and indemnify him of anything else in the future

live and learn, take it as a life experience
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote